PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about summer in Vermont

geochick
11-18-2016, 01:09 AM
We want to spend several days in Vermont this summer. Our kids will be 11 and 13. We want to relax in a resort or in a rental home. We'd like to be near a town with restaurants, ice cream, trees, water, ..., and we'd like to do a little bit of tourist stuff. Mostly we are interested in relaxing. I've never spent time in Vermont. We willbe in Boston before this leg of the trip.

Any recommendations? Towns? Areas?

TIA.

hillview
11-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Dh and I went to Woodstock this summer. It was lovely. Some good restaurants. A great hike area walking from town. So,e cute shops. We stayed at the Woodstock inn.

catsnkid
11-18-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm a big fan of Burlington Vt. There is the Shelbourne museum nearby, the Vermont Teddy Bear factory and lots of factory tours. We usually stayed in a hotel. You can go to a beach on Lake Champlain or take the Ferry ride to NY. Beautiful downtown with plenty of shops and nice restaurants. ETA- if you can, go to the Ben and Jerry's Factory tour in Waterbury, VT on your way there or back. Free samples! But go during the week because production is shut down on the weekends.

khalloc
11-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Ok, I live about 8 miles from Burlington VT and I work in downtown Burlington. I grew up in Boston though. ANyways, Burlington has EVERYTHING you are looking for. I would try to stay close to Burlington. There is the lake, bikepath, shops, restaurants. Its NOT a big city. its more like a large town. Plenty to do and see. If you dont want to stay IN Burlington, I would recommend Colchester on Malletts Bay. I live in Colchester and its a great place in the summertime. You have a few beaches & beautiful parks. Again, you are right on Lake Champlain and if you stay in the right part of Colchester, you can ride on the bike path along the lake and right into the Burlington Waterfront. Look for rentals that are around Malletts Bay area in Colchester and specifically ones around Broadlake Road & Colchester Point Rd. I think there are many rental places in that area.

If you want things to do, there is the Shelburne Museum, you could drive to Stowe or just Waterbury for the Ben & Jerrys Factory, (although I am not sure why people love that place soo much, its a tourist trap and you can get the same ice cream at the scoop shop in Burlington). Burlington will have bike rentals, and boating. You take a short drive and go hiking. Plus there is Church Street in Burlington which is a pedestrian street with shops, bars, restaurants.

mom2binsd
11-28-2016, 06:47 PM
I agree with khalloc, I went to grad school in Burlington, lots to do, many choices of restaurants, bike to the beach and swim in Lake Champlain (coming from Utah where I also lived, I love being able to swim in the lakes which I didn't find we could do really in Utah).

geochick
11-28-2016, 10:33 PM
All of this information has been very helpful. Thank you!

nfceagles
11-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Would you consider NH? We love renting homes on lakes near Wolfeboro or North Conway. We love taking the cog railway up Mt Washington and going to one of the ski resorts for their summer adventure parks in between relaxing days at "home".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khalloc
11-29-2016, 11:48 AM
I grew up going to NH quite a bit. We had cousins there and also camped up in the white mountains and did lots of hiking as kids. I feel like Vermont is much more beautiful and picturesque than NH. First off there are no billboards. You might not notice it at first but after living in VT for 20 years and driving thru NH or MA, the billboards are a real eye sore. Also I like the scenary in VT more. I feel like there are more quaint towns and covered bridges, beautiful restored barns, etc...not to say that NH cannot be pretty, NH does have bigger mountains.

geochick
11-30-2016, 10:29 AM
Good to know. Thanks.

willow33
12-07-2016, 07:13 PM
I lived in Burlington for seven years, but now live outside of Boston :) We take the kids for a long weekend to Stowe VT every summer. We rent bikes and bike the rec path, do a long hike, swim in the river/watering holes, get cider donuts at the cider mill to name a few. Last year we drove to Waterbury and rented kayaks on the reservoir. There is a big rock you can jump off of. There are great restaurants in Stowe and Waterbury too. We usually drive through the notch and have dinner one night in Burlington and walk around Church Street. We prefer Stowe with the kids, but I think there are great things about both areas.

geochick
01-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Okay, we've decided to fly in and out of Boston to visit relatives there, and then drive to Burlington. I have the Boston and Burlington hotels booked. I left 2 nights free for the drive between Boston and Burlington. Do you think we and our kids (11 and 13) would prefer to stay 2 nights in Woodstock or Stowe? I hate to unpack and pack a lot, so we will be staying in one place for those two nights.

What do you recommend? Thanks.

mom2binsd
01-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Stowe definitely.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

khalloc
01-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Where did you decide to stay in Burlington? I would probably pick Stowe.

geochick
01-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Where did you decide to stay in Burlington? I would probably pick Stowe.

Courtyard Burlington Harbor :)

khalloc
01-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Thats a good location. I've never been in there, but drive by it 2x a day. Its pretty new and right across from the lake (you'll have to walk down the street a little to access it) and you can be on the bike path right there. And right up Cherry street is Church Street.

geochick
01-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Great. It has great Tripadvisor reviews too. So excited. Thanks.

marinkitty
01-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Okay, we've decided to fly in and out of Boston to visit relatives there, and then drive to Burlington. I have the Boston and Burlington hotels booked. I left 2 nights free for the drive between Boston and Burlington. Do you think we and our kids (11 and 13) would prefer to stay 2 nights in Woodstock or Stowe? I hate to unpack and pack a lot, so we will be staying in one place for those two nights.

What do you recommend? Thanks.

What about Quechee?

geochick
01-17-2017, 08:50 PM
What about Quechee?

Quechee? I have no idea what it is, but I will read about it. Thanks.