PDA

View Full Version : Booking tips for foreign apartment rental

jgenie
11-22-2016, 01:21 PM
We're thinking of taking DC to Europe this summer. We've always stayed in hotels but we're thinking of renting an apartment this time. Any tips on what to look for / avoid? How is payment usually made? Are there any safeguards for us as renters? TIA

StantonHyde
11-23-2016, 12:45 AM
I do a couple of things:
1. search for tourist websites for the town you are staying--they will often list property management companies.
2. Check out a fodors guide to see if they recommend places that rent apartments.
3. Check out onefinestay.com for apartments in certain cities--very nice!
4. VRBO or airbnb but with these caveats--the listing must have many reviews. This depends on the city--in some places, there might be a number of apartments with 70 reviews so I will look only at those. In other places, 25 reviews might be a lot so I look at those. I check pictures, bed arrangements, the reviews, etc.
5. Go on the fodors chat room and ask if anyone has rented an apartment in the town you want to stay--people often recommend locations or property management companies. That's how I have found many great places.
6. If you see VRBO or airbnb rentals that seem really cheap--ask on Fodors. It turns out that there are cities that don't really allow people to rent through those services so they advertise for cheap and hope not to get caught. Not what you want!

hillview
11-23-2016, 12:09 PM
We've successfully rented via vrbo and homeaway in London, Paris and now Rome. I agree with find a place with lots of reviews. If you want a reco for Rome let me know. Also don't expect perfect.

StantonHyde
11-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Also--what are some cities where you are going? I'll bet people here would list the apartments they stayed!

jgenie
11-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks! We're looking for London but might also do Lisbon / Porto soon too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

HannaAddict
11-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Use a well reviewed legitimate agency. I had an okay experience with AirBnB in Rome but great experience with agency that has apartments all over Italy and several other countries. It was a rec from a friend who had rented several times from them. The apartments were just cleaner and it was more professional than AirBnB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StantonHyde
11-24-2016, 05:35 PM
Then check out "one fine stay" for London and Paris, too, I think. SIL had a great experience with them and we are renting one in June.

Ceepa
12-05-2016, 03:24 PM
I've been wondering the same.