PDA

View Full Version : Sock Ideas

Liziz
11-26-2016, 05:21 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for some warm socks (for me!). I know that SmartWool gets a lot of love around here, but it appears that they need to be line dried or dried on very low heat. That's too much maintenance for me....the rest of my socks get dried on high heat right now, and I don't want to be messing around with fishing out super-expensive socks to make sure I don't ruin them....are there good warm socks that don't require special treatment?

Thanks!

lizzywednesday
11-27-2016, 11:26 AM
I've dried my SmartWools in the dryer and had no problems, but the fancier ones do require some TLC.

Could you maybe stick 'em in a mesh lingerie bag so you're not fishing individual socks out to line-dry them?

That said, how thick can you wear? Thicker socks will change the fit of your shoes.

Thorlo is a decent brand, but depending on the style, they can run thick and will DEFINITELY change the fit of your shoe.

Bombas look interesting - seamless and soft. Our niece with picky feet is a big fan of those, too.

stefani
11-27-2016, 12:14 PM
My favorite is Thorlos. I get the MAXW6552 (black crew socks) or the WMM9004 (white). Like what Liz wrote, they are thick and do change the fit of the shoes. I bring the socks to try on shoes to make sure that the shoes are comfortable worn with those socks.

ABO Mama
11-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Costco has multi packs of wool socks that are very similar to smart wool. I wash and dry everything together on low, and have never had a problem. Wool is definitely warmer than cotton.

SnuggleBuggles
11-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Costco has multi packs of wool socks that are very similar to smart wool. I wash and dry everything together on low, and have never had a problem. Wool is definitely warmer than cotton.

Ds1 has the Costco ones and I always wash and dry them. I only dry our stuff on low though (except towels and sheets). L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
11-28-2016, 10:15 PM

Same here -- I have a bunch of the Costco merino wool socks (just got a pack of this year's, which aren't quite as thick as some previous years) and a number of Smartwools. Since I also wash and dry everything on low, there's no special handling. I can assure you that I wouldn't wear wool socks -- even though I really prefer them -- if they required special handling!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gamma
11-29-2016, 11:08 AM
In past years, I have washed the costco wool socks using warm water (I wash everything on warm) and dry them in the dryer set at whatever temp that it is set at for the load I'm drying. No special care at all! I haven't purchased any this year, but I'm excited to hear that they are thinner!

candaceb
11-29-2016, 11:12 AM
I really like cuddle duds socks from kohl's. I have shrunk too many pairs of smartwool, plus they seem to wear thin quickly so I don't buy them any more.