PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire HD 32 GB--will there be another deal in the next week or so

IansMom
12-01-2016, 08:34 AM
My iPad (which DS1, 7 yo) uses has decided to die after the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales. �� We've decided to get DS1 the Kindle Fire 8 with 32 GB (currently $120 with special offers and $135 without). He mainly used the iPad to play Minecraft, watch YouTube videos about Minecraft and for some educational apps like Solar Walk. We are giving him a science encyclopedia with QR links so I'll need to add a QR reader (?) app. Ive never used one so I'm not really familiar with that.

My sister bought the ones that were $30-something (originally $60?) to replace DNs last week. Will there be another deal on the one I want (I'm assuming they were all $30 off)? Or should I just go ahead and purchase it now and accept my loss?

georgiegirl
12-01-2016, 10:25 AM
The ones for $33 were originally 50. I bought one for DS1 (7). I had bought one on prime day last summer for $35 I think. They are a great deal because you can add storage to them. I think they are a good deal for $50 too. I'm not sure if they will have any deals on them in between now and prime day.

The kindle fire is not nearly as good as an iPad. But it's so cheap and I don't worry if it gets broken, lost, or stolen. DS1 plays minecraft on it, as well as other games like subway surfer and whatever else boys that age play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IansMom
12-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Thank you for your reply. Are the social offers/ads irritating or did you buy a Kindle without them?

elmojessi
12-01-2016, 01:05 PM
They are a great deal because you can add storage to them. I think they are a good deal for $50 too.

This. We got our kids Kindles a while back and the cheapest way to do it is to buy the smallest one and add a memory card to them. a 32GB card can be had for between $10 and $20. I wouldn't doubt if the 8GB goes back on sale again between now and the holidays, but not sure about within the next week.

I agree that Ipads are superior (which is what we had before the kids managed to crack both of the screens), but for the money, you just can't go wrong with the Kindles.

Simon
12-01-2016, 03:30 PM
I don't find the ads irritating. They are only there when I turn it on and before we swipe the screen. So its like a screen saver and we just don't even bother reading them. I don't think I'd pay more to be without them.

georgiegirl
12-01-2016, 03:34 PM
I don't find the ads irritating. They are only there when I turn it on and before we swipe the screen. So its like a screen saver and we just don't even bother reading them. I don't think I'd pay more to be without them.

Yes! It's really only on the lock screen and when you swipe down for notifications you might sometimes see an offer. It in now way impacts your experience when using the kindle. I got my 32G card for $10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Momit
12-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Thank you for your reply. Are the social offers/ads irritating or did you buy a Kindle without them?

The offers are not annoying to us at all. We all have Kindle Fires.

Momit
12-01-2016, 03:44 PM
And yes - the ability to add more storage to the Fire with an SD card is fantastic. Our iPad is always full, but DS can download movies and shows on his Fire no problem. We actually got it as a replacement for his portable DVD player. IME the iPad can't function that way.

IansMom
12-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. It's made me feel a lot better about missing the sale. I will start with the 16GB and add more if we need to and I'll get the one with "special offers" since Incan take that off later if it's too distracting. I really appreciate your replies!