PDA

View Full Version : One night in Cancun - where to book?

almostmom
12-07-2016, 04:44 PM
We need to book a hotel room in Cancun for one night in Feb. We arrive around 7 PM on a Friday, so I don't want to drive too far, but will be headed to Akumal the next day around noon. I'd love to find a place that had good pools/beach, but don't care too much as it's only for a night. Thoughts? Trip advisor and such are so overwhelming! Not sure if all inclusive makes sense, but it might be easier for the one night if it's not too pricey. We could drop our bags and not have to worry about where to get a meal.

Thanks!

geochick
12-07-2016, 06:59 PM
February: it will be dark by 7pm and most pools will be closed when you arrive. If it were me, I'd do some of the drive when you arrive on Friday. We like to stay at Grand Palladium (White Sand section) near Akumal. It's literally a few minutes north of Akumal. It takes just under an hour to get there. Check in to the resort and go to dinner and a show. You won't have any of the drive left the next morning, so you will be able to enjoy the pools as soon as they open. Check out is before noon, but they will let you check out of your room before noon and then use the pools until you need to leave. I vote to do the drive when you arrive.

almostmom
12-08-2016, 12:56 PM
That looks super nice, but I don't really want to spend $1,000 for the night! I do appreciate the idea of driving closer to Akumal, though I don't love the idea of driving through Mexico in the dark...

Any other suggestions?

roobee
12-09-2016, 12:43 AM
We stayed at Hotel Colibri in Playa del Carmen a number of years ago. It's right on the beach.

I wouldn't do an all inclusive for just one night. You could eat at a bar on the beach and have a few drinks for about $40.

We travel cheap :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/274061?m=19905

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

geochick
12-09-2016, 07:06 PM
$1000/night?!?! We have never paid that much. Holy cow. Shop around.

Are you driving? We always take a shuttle service. I have a good one if you decide to let someone else do the driving.

marinkitty
12-09-2016, 08:33 PM
While I generally agree that driving at night in Mexico is best avoided, that highway between Cancun and Akumal is a different story. Well lit and heavily patrolled. We have done it at night before between Tulum and Akumal and up to Playa. And it won't be super late when you are driving. I think heading part way down in a good plan, though I've only ever stayed in Akumal and Tulum and never at a resort, so I'm not much help on where to book.

mytwosons
12-09-2016, 10:34 PM
I think you'd be fine heading to Akumal that night. Especially if you just take transportation and don't rent a car.

If you stay in Cancun, both of the Marriotts are great. Not far from the airport and on a beautiful stretch of beach. Not all inclusive.