PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Help! Need gf/df/nf dessert?

Twoboos
12-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Going to a holiday party tomorrow and host asked me to bring "kid dessert." There are a couple of kids who are gluten, nut and dairy free. I'm sure the mom is going to bring something to cover her kids but I feel like I'm leaving them out if I make something the other 10ish kids can have. Help?

Fruit dipped in DF choc is the only thing I can think of.

KpbS
12-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Jello jigglers! Or just regular jello. :)

KpbS
12-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Or Kettle Corn (yum!) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20808/kettle-corn/

marymoo86
12-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Enjoy life makes allergy friendly chocolate chips

As long as coconut milk is okay (generally is)

https://elanaspantry.com/2-ingredient-chocolate-pudding/

Kindra178
12-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Anything Enjoy Life. I like to make Enjoy Life cookie ice cream sandwiches with coconut milk ice cream, rolled in Enjoy Life chips.

AnnieW625
12-09-2016, 03:00 PM
You could make Chex Mudy Buddies with Sun Butter, DF chocolate chips, and rice or corn Chex. Jello is probably the easiest, but vegetarians may not and vegans won't eat it.

marymoo86
12-09-2016, 03:31 PM
You could make Chex Mudy Buddies with Sun Butter, DF chocolate chips, and rice or corn Chex. Jello is probably the easiest, but vegetarians may not and vegans won't eat it.

I've never seen jello at any function in my adult life (with kids). Going to guess if they are DF/NF/GF - they will avoid artificial dyes as well.

KpbS
12-09-2016, 03:42 PM
I've never seen jello at any function in my adult life (with kids). Going to guess if they are DF/NF/GF - they will avoid artificial dyes as well.

We have had it at many events. You can make jello without artificial food dyes--Jello has a new line of natural jello mixes without artificial anything--they use natural dyes. Most kids like jello (food allergic or not), it is easy to make and eat, and for those with multiple food allergies (eggs, nuts, gluten, milk, soy, etc) it is one of the only dessert options.

AnnieW625
12-09-2016, 03:45 PM

Other than Jell-O shots I haven't either.....and I don't care for shots other than tequila so I don't partake. My kids have had jello cups at friend's house and I would serve jello as well, but joy as a main snack at a party. It is probably all regional though.

jennilynn
12-09-2016, 04:07 PM
For allergies I would bring something store bought. I tell my Celiac son not to eat anything homemade at parties even if the parent says its gluten free because of the risk of cross contamination. My go-to for parties is Glutino Oreo knockoffs but those may contain dairy. Fruit, marshmallows, candy canes are other options. Kettle corn is a good suggestion from PP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
12-09-2016, 04:20 PM
I'd make something that doesn't need a spoon or fork, I know my peanut allergy kid only eats what we know is safe, I know a lot of people make something at great expense etc and the allergy kiddo's don't touch them (often parents don't feel comfortable either having them eat unknown items).

Fruit with a dip?

Kettle corn is awesome!

nfceagles
12-09-2016, 05:43 PM
You could dip Enjoy Life cookies halfway in melted Enjoy Life chocolate and sprinkle with a safe sprinkles, maybe Betty Crocker but I'm not certain on the gluten.

I used to like to make Rice Krispie treats with GF Rice Krispies, but I don't think they make them anymore. If there's an alternative in the gf section they might still be doable. You'd need to use a nondairy butter like Earth Balance.

nfceagles
12-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Maybe a fondue type offering with safe dippers. Fruit, marshmallows, enjoy life cookies.

corrie23
12-09-2016, 08:36 PM
I do GF/CF/NF all the time but we're not at the level where we need to worry about minute contamination (e.g. ingredients manufactured in a dedicated facility). In fact, we have nuts in the house so I'd want to make sure that cooking something in my house or buying an item not made in a dedicated GF/CF/NF facility would be okay for the kids involved before baking or buying anything. If cross-contamination is not a concern assuming general cleaning practices are used, than Trader Joe's carries "oreos" (Joe Joes) that are free of those ingredients, as well as gingersnap cookies. Semisweet chocolate chips by TJs, Guittard, and some other brands are fine for GF/CF (some brands like Nestle's have dairy in them). EnjoyLife choc chips are necessary only if there is a soy allergy as well, but if not than you don't need to go to that expense.

I make most "traditional" baked recipes just subbing in a good gluten free flour mix (I make my own but you can purchase one easily) and I use rice milk for any milk in recipes and either grapeseed or coconut oils or Spectrum brand organic shortening in place of butter. TJs also sells gluten free oats. You could probably make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies without too much difficulty. Quick breads (banana, zucchini, carrot, etc) made with a GF flour mix and an alternative oil work well too. I make caramel corn using shortening in place of butter and my kids love it (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/74950/my-amish-friends-caramel-corn/) omit the peanuts and make sure vanilla is GF (most are).

It's very thoughtful of you to make something that everyone can enjoy together. I know that is so hard on my kids when they can't enjoy the same treats as everyone else.