PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Harry Potter World at Universal LA?

citymama
12-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Our last minute family is doing a road trip to LA right after Christmas. Of course the kids want to go to PotterWorld. We once went to Disneyland that week and it was a zoo. Is HPWorld really crowded and will it be unbearable that week? Or is it more like Legoland which seems to be more manageable even during busy times. Would love any advice on making the most of a visit to PotterWorld and Universal more generally, as well as any suggestions for how to get a good deal on tix! Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
12-18-2016, 06:17 PM
I have only been to Orlando, which is a lot bigger. If you can swing it financially, buy the front of line tickets. It'll be crazy crowded, definitely more like Disney than Lego. HP is a huge draw.
You aren't going to find screaming ticket deals. Sorry. I'd check Costco, AAA and Undercover Tourist. After that, compare the online Universal price. Buy before you get there so you don't waste valuable Park time in line for tickets.
Aim to be in the parking lot an hour before opening for time to walk, security and turnstile entry. Sometimes they start letting people in a smidge early. Ooh, just saw that if you buy your tickets through their website ahead of time that you get early entry. That hour will really be key! Check into that.
Make a top 3 must do list, hit those first. Get the wait time app and go where the crowds aren't. :)
Hit Ollivanders early and have the $50/ each ready to buy interactive wands. They are a blast! The kids received $50 gift cards from grandparents for their wands for Christmas; great gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629
12-18-2016, 10:42 PM
I live a few miles from there and think it will be super busy. DS2 went with summer camp this past summer but DS1 hasn't been yet and DH wanted to go this week. I told him to look it up online and he said he read it will be super busy so we decided not to go and will go when the kids have a random Fri off instead. However, if I was visiting from out of town I would suck it up and go. Just read about time and money saving tips online. Costco usually has good deals. Universal Studios is wayyyyy smaller than Disneyland so you'll definitely be able to see everything in one day even if it's crowded.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

citymama
12-19-2016, 04:00 AM
Thank you both! As SnuggleBuggles said, if you buy online in advance, you get early entry. essence629 and others from LA: what else at Universal is worth seeing so we can add to our list? Kids are 10.5 and 6.5, and the younger one is really not so into HP yet, so I want to make sure to find something fun for her at the Minions or somewhere else.

Tenasparkl
12-19-2016, 09:25 AM
We went on Saturday (free day to visit "Grinchmas" with our season passes) and it was packed. Try the hot butter beer!

citymama
12-19-2016, 01:35 PM
We went on Saturday (free day to visit "Grinchmas" with our season passes) and it was packed. Try the hot butter beer!

bought our tickets last night for 12/29. What happens at Grinchmas?

SnuggleBuggles
12-19-2016, 02:02 PM
If the Mummy is like the one in Orlando, that was my favorite! But ds2 was scared in the line and took the chicken exit.
I'd personally try everything. Why not? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl
12-19-2016, 02:45 PM
bought our tickets last night for 12/29. What happens at Grinchmas?

There's an area in the center of the park that's decorated for the holiday, you can meet Max & the Grinch, there are performances and a tree lighting ceremony etc. It's cute, but nothing too exciting.

citymama
12-19-2016, 03:05 PM
There's an area in the center of the park that's decorated for the holiday, you can meet Max & the Grinch, there are performances and a tree lighting ceremony etc. It's cute, but nothing too exciting.

I still have sticker shock from the fact we could have gotten Disney tickets for the same price, with so much more oomph!

Tenasparkl
12-19-2016, 03:22 PM
I still have sticker shock from the fact we could have gotten Disney tickets for the same price, with so much more oomph!

Yeah, it's not Disneyland! I like it because it's 10 minutes from my house and I can get butterbeer.

citymama
01-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Just wanted to report back that we had a great time! My main advice to anyone going would be to go as soon as your admission ticket allows you to - advance purchase tix online let you get in an hour early, which we did and were sooooo happy we did. Even though it was a pain to get everyone inside the car and to the park by 7am (!!!) it was awesome to be able to get into the HP rides with minimal lines - we saw a sign showing there was a 4 hour wait for Forbidden Journey at one point in the middle of the day! We did not buy front of the line tickets, just regular advance purchase tix which allows you early entry. Enjoyed Butterbeer, lunch at 3 broomsticks, Ollivanders and Honeydukes, and the kids loved getting their interactive wands! Did a few other rides in the park and got our money's worth, I think. I actually preferred it to Disneyland!

ETA: Much as we enjoyed butterbeer, we also nicknamed it "diabetes in a cup." Holy smokes, that is crazy sweet stuff! But absolutely worth trying.