PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Disney Cruises

acmom
01-19-2017, 03:50 PM
My in laws have recently brought up the idea of taking the whole family (the 5 of us along with my sister in laws family of 5) on a Disney Cruise as a part of a celebration for their 50th wedding anniversary. At the time we would go, my kids would be just turned 2, 8 and 9.5 and my sister in laws kids would be 17, 19 and 20.

We have been to Disney many times but never cruised. Overall, the info I read sounds great. My biggest concerns are space and the little one not being able to swim (am I reading right that they can't swim unless they are potty trained??).

I'd love to hear others experiences w/ Disney cruises - especially if you have gone with a toddler! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

pharmjenn
01-20-2017, 03:18 AM
I have been on 2 Disney Cruises, both 14days long. We loved them. You are correct that you can only swim if you are potty trained, but they do have a splash area where you are allowed to have swim diapers on. My then 7yo enjoyed the splash area with a new friend. Your 8 and 9.5yo would be in the same kids club, and the 17yo would be allowed in the teen club. If there are enough college age kids, they will have some gathering times as well, but not in any "physical club"
As for space, the cabins are larger than other cruise lines. We only had 3 in our inside cabin, and it was fine. Most all the rooms have a split bathroom, with a toilet and sink in one room and shower and sink in another. Nice when you are getting dressed etc. They also have a shallow tub/shower for your little one if needed.
With 5 in your family, you would need to book the larger family room, or have 2 connecting cabins. To do that, you book it with you and your husband in separate cabins but can sleep anywhere. There just must be an adult on each cabin reservation.

kdeunc
01-20-2017, 01:53 PM
We did our first Disney Cruise this summer. We loved it. My MIL took our family (kids 13,11,7) and my SIL's family (6 and 3-special needs). Everyone had a great time. My kids did not spend much time in the kids club but that is a function of their personalities and our short cruise (4 nights). My 3 year old niece used the nursery several times and it worked out great for my SIL. We did not use the pool much on our trip. We were off the ship 2 days and there are a ton of things to do. We had verandah rooms and had plenty of space. 1 of my kids shared with MIL.

We really enjoyed it. It was the first cruise for DH and me. We love Disney and have done the parks several times (including before this cruise). We are planning another cruise for summer 2018, longer this time. If you have any specific questions I am happy to answer them if I can.

egoldber
01-20-2017, 04:23 PM
We just did our second 7 night cruise over the holidays. It was amazing. :) I think my kids loved it more this time than they did when we went 3 years ago.

My 15 year old DD was in the teen club and younger DD was allowed to "age up" to the tween club, which she loved. She did not like the kids clubs, she found them boring. It may have been different if she had had a cousin or friend to hang out with.

We did a lot of family activities. Trivia, game shows, drawing classes, etc. It was all very fun. One of our excursion days was cancelled because our boat ran late, but our other excursion (snorkeling and beach) was terrific. And we had fantastic weather and amazing day at Castaway Cay.

acmom
01-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Thanks all- this helps! Sounds like overall it would be great for all our ages! Would you say pool time is a big part of the trip experience or not? We have a pool at home so I imagine if we are hanging out at the pool, I will have a very unhappy 2 year old that can't go in! And I don't really want us to spend a lot of time separated from the group bc the baby can't do the pool. I have never cruised so not sure if the pool issue is a big deal or not. Are any of the excursions toddler friendly?

acmom
01-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Thanks all- this helps! Sounds like overall it would be great for all our ages! Would you say pool time is a big part of the trip experience or not? We have a pool at home so I imagine if we are hanging out at the pool, I will have a very unhappy 2 year old that can't go in! And I don't really want us to spend a lot of time separated from the group bc the baby can't do the pool. I have never cruised so not sure if the pool issue is a big deal or not. Are any of the excursions toddler friendly?