PDA

View Full Version : s/o CPAP mask question - does something go in your nose?

mackmama
01-30-2017, 11:32 PM
I think I need a CPAP as I am pretty sure that I have sleep apnea. I first had a question though. When the mask is over your face, is there something that fits into your nostrils? Are there other kinds of masks where something doesn't need to go into your nose?

JBaxter
01-31-2017, 12:04 AM
Not on the one my DH has or my stepdads. They are different shaped though

Mikey0709
01-31-2017, 09:47 AM
There are several kinds of masks - - typically your doc would set you up with a supply provider that can let you try ALL different masks for the best comfort. There is one that does go up your nostrils and blows air that way, but there is also a full face mask (triangle shaped) that covers your mouth/nose all as one. Alot of people find the full face mask more comfortable I believe, but the nostril one may be less restrictive.

My husband uses the full triangle mask - nothing in his nose. He loves this one, and we just have to replace the cushions that touch your face, and strap that goes around his head regularly because they wear out or stretch out.

Using a CPAP has been the BEST DECISION EVER for him.

lalasmama
01-31-2017, 11:00 PM
Like others have said, there's different styles. For what it's worth, I have a pretty severe aversion to anything touching my nose due to some prior abuse when I was younger. Its to the point DH can't even touch my nose.

I have a nasal pillow for my CPAP. It fits snuggly against my nose. There's just a little lip that's barely in my nose. I thought it would be terrible, but it's not. The biggest things that helped me were taking a sleep aid (Ativan in my case to relax me) and wearing the CPAP while watching TV in bed the first few nights. It allowed me to get comfortable with the CPAP, with the nasal pillow, and see how it felt at different strengths (it blows harder if it senses you have stopped breathing). Once I was comfortable with it, I tried falling asleep with it, and had a fairly easy time adjusting to it. DH didn't do the TV watching thing, and had a heck of time adjusting to it, never successfully. Not that it's a fail-safe way to do it, but I love the tech who suggested it!

There are other masks too, and they will let you try them until you get used to it, and like it. Some are better for side sleepers, back sleepers, etc.