PDA

View Full Version : Grammar help: engineer trying to use big words

barkley1
01-31-2017, 11:44 AM
"I have witnessed myriad character traits..."

or

"I have witnessed a myriad of character traits..."

Please and thank you! This math and science brain can't figure it out even w/ Google help!

legaleagle
01-31-2017, 11:53 AM
Both are correct, it's used both as an adjective and as both a singular and plural noun.

Personally, I prefer the second, I think that's a more common construction.

That said, the whole sentence may be able to be phrased more gracefully - I'm assuming this is going to either praise or express concerns about another person?

BunnyBee
01-31-2017, 11:56 AM
It usually goes either way now. I'd omit "have" though. :)

barkley1
01-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Both are correct, it's used both as an adjective and as both a singular and plural noun.

Personally, I prefer the second, I think that's a more common construction.

That said, the whole sentence may be able to be phrased more gracefully - I'm assuming this is going to either praise or express concerns about another person?

Yes, it is a positive character reference letter.

It usually goes either way now. I'd omit "have" though. :)

Well, it's referencing the past 13 years, so not really referring to a specific instance.

cvanbrunt
01-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Having written countless letters of reference, that's an odd sentence. You sound like you are trying to use big words and it isn't necessary and actually would ever so slightly lessen my opinion of the writer. What are you trying to say? Keep it simple and clear. "I've known Sarah for 13 years and I can say with confidence that her character is well suited for the position."

barkley1
01-31-2017, 02:36 PM
Having written countless letters of reference, that's an odd sentence. You sound like you are trying to use big words and it isn't necessary and actually would ever so slightly lessen my opinion of the writer. What are you trying to say? Keep it simple and clear. "I've known Sarah for 13 years and I can say with confidence that her character is well suited for the position."

I am trying to say that over 13 years, I have witnessed too many positive character traits (hence the word myriad (definition: innumerable)) to go into detail in one letter.

cvanbrunt
01-31-2017, 02:44 PM
I am trying to say that over 13 years, I have witnessed too many positive character traits (hence the word myriad (definition: innumerable)) to go into detail in one letter.

Myriad just isn't the right word. There aren't that many character traits. I think you could say that you have witnessed countless interactions/behaviors/situations that illustrate her exemplary character, etc.

rin
01-31-2017, 02:51 PM

Agreed; in general, keep language simple. Using big words often just comes across as stilted.

I'd also nix "witness"; maybe something like "I've seen Sarah demonstrate numerous personal and professional qualities that make her a strong candidate for xyz".

barkley1
01-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Great suggestions- thank you all!

squimp
01-31-2017, 03:49 PM
The word myriad can also mean "having countless or very many elements or aspects" that in my read could mean a range of qualities - that doesn't mean they all are positive. I write a lot of reference letters for my students and post-docs and I agree that simpler is better.

barkley1
01-31-2017, 07:17 PM
Ok dang it I can't make it sound right. Can someone throw something equivalent but better out there for this:

Over these years, I have witnessed myriad character traits which convince me her children should be with her as much as possible.

rin
01-31-2017, 08:54 PM
Ok dang it I can't make it sound right. Can someone throw something equivalent but better out there for this:

Over these years, I have witnessed myriad character traits which convince me her children should be with her as much as possible.

It sounds like perhaps this is a character reference for a custody dispute? I'd be specific with some of the most important character traits you think are beneficial/important.

Some ideas (obviously discard what doesn't match your opinions/the situation!)

Over the years, her consistent X (reliability? persistence?), unflagging (patience? cheerfulness?), (add in perhaps up to 3 more specific character traits you think really stand out), and XXXXX have clearly demonstrated to me that Sarah is an exemplary mother who practices child-focused parenting. It is plain to me that her children benefit greatly from their close relationship with her, and I heartily support their continued close relationship. In my opinion, it would be a hardship to reduce the amount of time they are able to see one another.

barkley1
01-31-2017, 10:32 PM
It sounds like perhaps this is a character reference for a custody dispute? I'd be specific with some of the most important character traits you think are beneficial/important.

Some ideas (obviously discard what doesn't match your opinions/the situation!)

I like it!!

squimp
01-31-2017, 11:52 PM
I would replace "myriad" with "many positive and nurturing". For example, "I have observed many positive character traits that make her the best person...". I would provide some examples as well.