PDA

View Full Version : What's the best tangible gift your partner has gotten you?

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Not a trip, experience...actual something you could unwrap. What stands out in your mind from all birthdays and holidays over the years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
01-31-2017, 04:53 PM
My DC share a birthstone and I asked for their birthstone earrings one year for Christmas. I got the earrings and love them. When I got to the bottom of my stocking at the end of unwrapping gifts I found a matching ring and bracelet. I was completely surprised and I still wear the set more days than not. I think of that Christmas when I put them on and I can see my DC as babies by the tree. :love5: We've been married 16 years and it's my favorite gift.

mnj77
01-31-2017, 04:56 PM
A watch I had always wanted as a total surprise.

Mommy_Mea
01-31-2017, 05:37 PM
An antique necklace from a store that was closing. I looked at it one day and went back the next day to buy it, and they said they had already packed it up for auction. I was so disappointed. Huge surprise when I unwrapped it from DH at Christmas that year!

ourbabygirl
01-31-2017, 06:09 PM
I love my diamond stud earrings and wear them almost every day.
Also really like my gold charms with their initials (one for each kid). They're from a nice jewelry store and I have all 3 on a necklace and wear it often (more in spring and summer, as it's not big enough to show up well with a sweater).
Also really like my watch that DH bought off Zulilly.

chottumommy
01-31-2017, 06:54 PM
An out of print book set, took DH about 8 years to hunt down and arrived by parcel post on a random day. And that is the only tangible gift he has every bought me. I have never bought him anything tangible.

94bruin
01-31-2017, 07:58 PM
DH completely surprised me with diamond stud earrings for my 30th birthday. He's not big into gift giving so that was a big deal!

Corie
01-31-2017, 09:39 PM
An out of print book set, took DH about 8 years to hunt down and arrived by parcel post on a random day.

Out of curiosity, what out of print book set did he get you? Great gift! :)

pinkmomagain
01-31-2017, 10:09 PM
DH completely surprised me with diamond stud earrings for my 30th birthday.
Same for me.

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2017, 10:13 PM
Dh was all set to buy me diamond studs for my 30th too but I made an off hand comment about hot feeling responsible enough for them and he bagged it. Turns out he'd done a ton of research and visited several independent stores to shop.

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2017, 10:13 PM
Some very thoughtful dhs out there. :)

StantonHyde
01-31-2017, 10:44 PM
My DH gave me diamond hoop earrings for our 6th anniversary. It was also the day my mom died. I wore those earrings every day for months. They gave me strength. I knew how much my mom would have loved that DH gave them to me. They are still my go to "power piece" when I need a little more confidence.

lalasmama
01-31-2017, 11:12 PM
I love my diamond studs as well. He sent them to me while I was getting dressed for my wedding, along with pairs for our daughters. I haven't taken them off since :)

He also got me an amazing jewelry since then, too. But I love those studs the most.

KpbS
01-31-2017, 11:42 PM
An engagement gift of a LeCruset set.

meggie t
02-01-2017, 12:50 AM
A second diamond wedding band for our fifth anniversary. I had talked about wanting one but never thought he'd surprise me with it. One Christmas he bought me a pair of diamond earrings that I had picked out months earlier that he said we couldn't afford at the time. Wear them almost daily.

California
02-01-2017, 04:03 AM
Expensive jewelry is not my love language. My mom loves it though and you are all reminding me of my dad's efforts to make sure she had a few pretty pieces.

For the first year after my second DC was born, I sent out a quick update and a couple of photos to the out-of-town grandparents and closest relatives every week. DH went back and created a photo journal for me. He had to copy and paste in all those weekly emails to do it. It's been years but I still treasure that thoughtfulness. And the kids enjoy looking through the book.

Neatfreak
02-01-2017, 04:51 AM
My wristwatch! Wear it every day ...

ccather
02-01-2017, 08:23 AM
DH has hit it out of the park a few times! I have a little swiss army knife he gave me for my birthday when were first dating. I have used that thing so much over the years! I have a set of diamond studs that I wear all the time.

But my absolute favorite gifts came at xmas the year he decided his theme was "keep the wife warm!" (I am always complaining that I'm cold and adding layers, even in the summer. AC is too cold for me!) He bought me: a towel warmer for the bathroom (which is completely magical when I come in from a winter run), a two zone electric blanket for our bed (and he usually preheats it for me at bed time!), and a really heavy snuggie style blanket (that I call my "Woobie" and is a requirement for me when I sit on the couch!)

Is it sad that, even though I wear my pretty diamonds everyday, my favorite things were blankets?? LOL!

gymnbomb
02-01-2017, 08:36 AM
DH and I don't really buy each other tangible gifts (other than me buying him new clothes when I decide he needs them...). I'm not a big jewelry person. I have a number of nice pieces (diamond, ruby, pearl, etc.) that my parents have gotten me though -- my stepdad likes to buy jewelry.

Oddly, the really thoughtful thing DH got me is a small tool bag with a basic tool set inside. I saw it one day at Lowes and said something about it being cute. We have a ton of tools in our house. Some were mine originally, some DH has gotten for work, some he has gotten for house projects, etc. But they are all mixed up and he always has them spread out in 3 different places and I can never find a screwdriver or tape measure when I need one. So he got me my own that I could keep wherever I wanted and since they are purple it is very obvious they are mine :)

IansMom
02-01-2017, 08:50 AM
I don't consider jewelry my love language, but he has gotten me some really nice pieces. He had a ring made for me with an opal (my birthstone) in the middle and 2 amethysts (his and DS1's birthstone) on the side. He also got me a rainbow sapphire pendant that I had been visiting in the store. As for non-jewelry gifts, one year he got me these amazing black leather boots and a beatiful gray cloak for Christmas. I also loved these funny "monster feet" slippers he gave me that said princess on them. I don't know why I loved them so much but I wore them out.

Pennylane
02-01-2017, 11:15 AM
A Tiffany key necklace that I got all googly eyed over in their store window one day . Total surprise and I wear it almost every single day!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

pinkmomagain
02-01-2017, 11:22 AM
A second diamond wedding band for our fifth anniversary. I had talked about wanting one but never thought he'd surprise me with it. One Christmas he bought me a pair of diamond earrings that I had picked out months earlier that he said we couldn't afford at the time. Wear them almost daily.

Oh this reminds me! I guess the first "wow" gift was a diamond wedding band. We were shopping for wedding bands when we were engaged. I saw a channel set band that I really liked but he said was too expensive. So we picked out handmade matching wedding bands. But at the alter he took out two wedding bands for me -- the handmade matching one and the channel-set band. What a surprise! I can't believe I forgot that one!

mom2khj
02-01-2017, 01:24 PM
A decorative vase. It wasn't the vase itself, it was the fact that he remembered me commenting on how pretty it was and went and got it for me. DH is a terrible gift-giver, so it made it really special.

AnnieW625
02-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Probably the simple gold necklace my DH bought me the first Christmas we had been dating in 1997. I wear the necklace on occasion. I would love diamond stud earrings for my 40th birthday, but I think I am getting a weekend away. What I really want are U2 Joshua Tree tour tickets as The Joshua Tree is my all time favorite U2 album, but the LA shows conflict with a family wedding and the show on my 40th birthday is in Boston and sold out (so I can't even investigate a weekend away to see the show on my 40th birthday, which inho would be awesome!)

Honorable mention: the time he took 2 yr. old Dd1 to a dad's and daughters paint day (coordinated by my playgroup) at Color Me Mine and painted me a vase for Morhers Day. He said it was absolute chaos, but the fact he went was amazing. Last year for my birth when the kids had a day off of school he took them to a painting place and I got a painted mini garden gnome (I love the Travelocity gnome) and so I love that too. DDs each painted me a tile as well.

mmsmom
02-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Probably the simple gold necklace my DH bought me the first Christmas we had been dating in 1997. I wear the necklace on occasion. I would love diamond stud earrings for my 40th birthday, but I think I am getting a weekend away. What I really want are U2 Joshua Tree tour tickets as The Joshua Tree is my all time favorite U2 album, but the LA shows conflict with a family wedding and the show on my 40th birthday is in Boston and sold out (so I can't even investigate a weekend away to see the show on my 40th birthday, which inho would be awesome.

Well you could look at a reputable reseller site like Stub Hub or Vivid Seats for tickets. I have friends that have been finding tickets that aren't too crazy priced.

TwinFoxes
02-01-2017, 02:24 PM
My DH has hit some home runs. iPhone for my birthday the first year they came out. iPad for Mothers Day. Gorgeous David Yurman necklace for an anniversary. This year he bought me a pair of beats wireless headphones. I wouldn't in a million years have spent $300 on a pair of headphones, but I looooove them. I can walk around listening to podcasts while cleaning or cooking. And they're super pretty, a lilac color. Love them.

chottumommy
02-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Out of curiosity, what out of print book set did he get you? Great gift! :)

It is a book set of poems in Tamil (my mothertongue). He found a beautifully preserved set with one of his student's friend's grandparents. They gave it to him free, apparently they were so amazed that anybody of my generation would even know about the books, let alone be able to read them since its an archaic form of Tamil. Took me a whole year to finish one, but beautiful language. Its very sad, none of my children would understand a word in there. Tamil is so complex to learn and master.

SASM
02-01-2017, 04:10 PM
The BEST was unwrapping Disney MagicBands for a trip starting the next day. My second fave was a Tiffany bracelet...it was very uncharacteristic of him, as he usually gets me socks, slippers, etc. My third would be my pearl necklace.

Corie
02-01-2017, 04:29 PM
It is a book set of poems in Tamil (my mothertongue). He found a beautifully preserved set with one of his student's friend's grandparents. They gave it to him free, apparently they were so amazed that anybody of my generation would even know about the books, let alone be able to read them since its an archaic form of Tamil. Took me a whole year to finish one, but beautiful language. Its very sad, none of my children would understand a word in there. Tamil is so complex to learn and master.

What an amazing gift!!!