PDA

View Full Version : Experiences With Sylvan Learning Center?

Indianamom2
01-31-2017, 06:08 PM
Hi there! My 6th grader has ADHD, and even medicated, is still really struggling with middle school. She has a 504 plan in place (although compliance is spotty:banghead:) and her DH and I are literally checking all her homework and doing what we can on our end, but it's still not going well. We've started to consider some outside tutoring somewhere like Sylvan, mainly because they have an organizational skills class that sounds promising, as DD's organization is awful.

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with Sylvan (or somewhere else similar)?

Thanks!

schrocat
01-31-2017, 06:37 PM
We pulled our 6th grader out of Kumon because it was only giving him more stress and not meeting his needs for where he needed to be. I've given up and taken over Language Arts and Social Studies tutoring for him myself.

egoldber
01-31-2017, 07:05 PM
I think I have posted here about hiring an organization coach for my older DD in HS. Seriously the best thing we have ever done.

They worked for a long time on organization and time management. Now they work more on study skills, writing skills, long term project planning, test taking skills, etc. The coach adapts to what DD needs from her in the moment.

PZMommy
01-31-2017, 08:28 PM
I've had students go to Sylvan, and it is met with mixed success. You have to put effort into it and you have to go and do what they tell you to do (practice and homework). It isn't a quick fix. They follow a very set program. It is expensive.

I like egoldber's suggestion of an organization coach. That may be a better fit if they can tailor their instruction to your DD.

mom2binsd
02-01-2017, 12:02 AM
I have not been impressed with their programs, they seem to have their "set" way of doing things, not too much originality, they say they tailor to the needs of the students, but I have seen students with different needs with the exact same program (parents shared with me as the Special educator).

I am very leary of the for profit companies like Sylvan and Kumon.

Does the school counselor offer something, or can the school psychologist help set up a system. Does the school offer study skills classes (our jr. high 6-9) has study skills as a class option.

I have never heard of an organization coach, but it sounds like it might be a better option, not sure if where you live has someone like that.

klwa
02-01-2017, 09:38 AM
I have two nieces who used Sylvan to help bring them back up to grade level due to ADHD issues. One on my side, one on DH's. It really seemed to help out both girls.

cilantromapuche
02-01-2017, 11:38 AM
I know some parents around here had terrible experiences with it. It is a very rigid system and very inflexible, not sure if they are the same everywhere but it seems like a very scripted program.