PDA

View Full Version : Questions about flying to Mexico...help!

Corie
02-01-2017, 03:30 PM
We are planning a trip to Playa del Carmen, Mexico this summer. We've never travelled out of the United States.
It looks like we will need to fly into the Cancun airport?

I have 2 questions.

1. What is a decent price to pay for airfare? I don't have any reference about cost since we've never gone outside the U.S.

2. What is the best website to search for flights?

Thank you!!

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2017, 04:33 PM
1. Totally varies where you're traveling from. :) It's not any more than US destinations a similar distance away.
2. Skyscanner.com is my favorite site for seeing all the prices- they even include Southwest which most search sites don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corie
02-01-2017, 04:57 PM
We would be flying out of Cincinnati Ohio/Covington KY airport and flying into Cancun. The flight is approximately 3.5 hours.

I found a non-stop flight on skyscanner.com for $595. That seems high to me but I am so out of touch with the flight costs.
I don't know if that is good or bad.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Sounds right for a non stop from a smaller metro area. Try this to see if you can get pricing history http://www.faredetective.com/farehistory/
I haven't tried that one. The site I've used before doesn't seem to be providing that data anymore.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Also, did you see on Skyscanner that you could search whole months? You can easily see whether you should adjust your dates a bit for a cheaper fare.

JamiMac
02-01-2017, 05:27 PM
I would also get on southwest.com and search flights there too. We just flew in October to Cancun and our flights were around $200, but that was coming from Dallas. We're going back in March and also flying Southwest. We are big Southwest fans though! You might also check Sun Country because they're Minnesota based. They have lots of Mexico flights.

JBaxter
02-01-2017, 08:32 PM
DH uses a site from work called Concur you need a subscription but it includes southwest you might want to see if you DH has one through work. Other than that we use expedia & kayak . We flew to Dominican this summer and our closest international is Orlando ( 1hr 45 min) but flying out of Miami ( 3 hrs away) it saved us $350 per ticket. We then go to the actual airline website to book the tickets. Check all your drivable airports.

hillview
02-01-2017, 08:56 PM
We've gotten good deals with American and JetBlue doing a vacation package. Airfare plus hotel.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2017, 09:06 PM
We've gotten good deals with American and JetBlue doing a vacation package. Airfare plus hotel.

I should have suggested that too. We have gotten great deals with Southwest Vacations.

Corie
02-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Also, did you see on Skyscanner that you could search whole months? You can easily see whether you should adjust your dates a bit for a cheaper fare.

No, I didn't see that option. I'll look for it.

khalloc
02-02-2017, 10:23 AM
When we fly to the Caribbean from Boston I consider anything under $500 round trip to be a good price.

Corie
02-02-2017, 11:39 AM
When we fly to the Caribbean from Boston I consider anything under $500 round trip to be a good price.

Good to know!!

Do you have any tips to buying the tickets? Is there a certain time to buy them that is better? We're still 4 months out from our dates
so I'm assuming there will still be fluctuation in the prices. Should I keep waiting?

khalloc
02-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I dont know. Its all so variable. I either buy way in advance and get a good price, or I see last minute sales and get an even better price. I just know that if I fly during school breaks I am probably going to pay more. I actually would prefer to fly out of Burlington, VT, but that will usually add quite a bit to the pricing. I recently saw flights from JFK to Barbados for like $250 round trip, but when I added in the Burlington to JFK part, it brought it up to over $800 per person, which is insane for a short little flight. So now we are flying from Boston instead to Barbados in April and I paid like $425pp nonstop.

Did you already book your hotel? Because Mexico is pretty cheap and I think you will find a decent price if you do a package deal.