PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a pool with tanning ledge?

essnce629
02-01-2017, 09:55 PM
We're finally about to start our pool build in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if I should add a light to the tanning ledge? Anyone have this? If not, I think it will be dark because the hot tub will be next to the tanning ledge and blocking the light from the main pool area. We could put a light across from the tanning ledge on the opposite side of the pool, but then the light would be facing the house which I've heard not to do. Also, does anyone have a skimmer on their tanning ledge? Our builder mentioned this as an option to help keep it clean since I want a deeper (12") tanning ledge.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

elbenn
02-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Most of the pools around here don't have separate lights on their tanning ledge. How big is your pool and how many lights do you have in the plans? Are they the regular lights or the niche lights?

essnce629
02-01-2017, 11:15 PM
The pool is 32x16 and rectangular with the spa and tanning ledge bumping out halfway to make a slight L shape (I wanted maximum swim space). There is currently one light planned for the pool and one planned for the spa. Both Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

elbenn
02-01-2017, 11:34 PM
So is the spa between the light and the tanning ledge? I would think that the light would be placed so that it would shine over to the tanning ledge.

Mermanaid
02-02-2017, 12:34 AM
I think you may want more than two lights. We have three in our 28x16 and it's perfect. Two are on the wall and one is on the 9" ledge. This is not a great pic since my iPad sucks at photos but it gives you an idea of how three lights work together.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/ec41ed2ffc2181bf16ecf214b2adcaaa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

essnce629
02-02-2017, 02:45 AM
So is the spa between the light and the tanning ledge? I would think that the light would be placed so that it would shine over to the tanning ledge.

Yes, the spa is between the light and the tanning ledge. You'd have to place the lights at either ends of the pool to light the entire thing easily, but then I've read not to put the lights on the ends because then you'd be swimming laps right into a bright light. Two lights on the furtherst away wall would light up the whole pool but then both lights would be facing the house which I've read is a no no as well. So I guess it would have to be one light facing away from the house in the deep end on the left side of the spa and then maybe a smaller light on the tanning ledge, also facing away from the house, on the right side of the spa.

ETA: This is all based on my drawing so far. The builder hasn't drawn up his own design yet.

elbenn
02-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Maybe you need to check out the niche lights. You can get more of them and they give more even lighting. But that has to be done during the gunite phase, so if you think you want that, make sure you figure it out now.

smilequeen
02-02-2017, 03:06 PM
We don't have any extra light on ours. I wanted a spot where I could sit while they swim and the dog likes to sit there. My youngest will play there or they will sit on it when they need a break. Our pool lights and exterior lighting is enough, but if you think it's going to be dark, I would discus options with them NOW so things can change.

Octobermommy
02-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Our pool is also 16 by 32 with a tanning ledge & a hot tub. Instead of putting the tanning ledge & hot tub being next to each other our tanning ledge is in the shallow end with steps from there to pool ( tanning ledge is first step) & the hot tub is in the deep end. We only have 1 spa light & one pool light & we find it enough. The light is on the side of the pool closest to tanning ledge. We do have a bench that runs the length of the pool, the second step after tanning ledge which I highly recommend. It makes the deep end so much more usable &people can easily go from hot tub to pool.

essnce629
02-03-2017, 02:03 AM
Maybe you need to check out the niche lights. You can get more of them and they give more even lighting. But that has to be done during the gunite phase, so if you think you want that, make sure you figure it out now.

We don't have any extra light on ours. I wanted a spot where I could sit while they swim and the dog likes to sit there. My youngest will play there or they will sit on it when they need a break. Our pool lights and exterior lighting is enough, but if you think it's going to be dark, I would discus options with them NOW so things can change.

We haven't even signed a contract yet so there's no rush. I'm just trying to get as much details in the contract before signing lol!

Also, how many skimmers do you all have? There's only one listed in our proposal and I've read that two is better. He said if we add a second one it should be near the tanning ledge to help keep it clean. Or we can just do a return in that area, but skimmer + return would be ideal for keeping it clean.

Octobermommy
02-03-2017, 07:04 AM
We have 2 returns & a skimmer on our tanning ledge. We also have a skimmer in the deep end. I would definitely go with 2 skimmers.

mackmama
02-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Our pool is also 16 by 32 with a tanning ledge & a hot tub. Instead of putting the tanning ledge & hot tub being next to each other our tanning ledge is in the shallow end with steps from there to pool ( tanning ledge is first step) & the hot tub is in the deep end. We only have 1 spa light & one pool light & we find it enough. The light is on the side of the pool closest to tanning ledge. We do have a bench that runs the length of the pool, the second step after tanning ledge which I highly recommend. It makes the deep end so much more usable &people can easily go from hot tub to pool.

Can you attach a pic of your pool? Your design sounds like what we want. Thanks!