PDA

View Full Version : Make-up rules for your tween/teen DD?

lalasmama
02-02-2017, 01:16 AM
What are your make-up rules for your tween/young teen DDs?

My DD will be 13 this month. She's discovered make-up recently. She's always liked playing with it, but has always had light/natural colors. But now, she bought some blush, mascara, and some bright eyeshadows (bought with her own money).

Basic rules at our house are (1) only at home, and (2) wash face before bed. But I'm trying to figure out if there should be (or not be) guidelines.

And on a side note, OMG. She cakes on blush, and the blue eyeshadow is from eyelid into eyebrow. She had a babysitter that wore bright blush and blue eyeshadow, and she loves the movie My Girl, so she thinks this look is gorgeous, and comes out of her room asking how it looks. She knows how to put on make-up appropriately, and is allowed to wear it out in subtle colors, so it's all about the experimenting and seeing how far we will let her go. It's driving me nuts. But I'm keeping my mouth shut on that side of things.

So, make-up rules at your home?

jren
02-02-2017, 01:36 AM
My DD is 13. For us, anything goes with makeup at this point. She started out last year with neutral colors, but now she likes some brighter stuff. She watches YouTube videos and got nice makeup for her birthday. She practices a lot and it's starting to look good now, not too overdone. I'm just glad she's grooming herself finally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megs4413
02-02-2017, 01:59 AM
Have fun?

I guess, only if we have time? That's really the only issue we've had...it takes DD1 so much longer to get ready now.

I gave her lessons and advice before she started doing a full face on her own, but she's getting good at it now. I think she overdoes her eyebrows, but it's her face. *shrug*

khalloc
02-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Hmm. My DD is 11 and interested in makeup. She doesnt have much right now and only uses it if she is alone in her room. Its not allowed at school this year (3-5th grade school). If she wants makeup when she is in 7th grade I think I will allow some. Maybe mascara, light eye shadow and lip gloss. I'd let her wear luminizer or concealor/tinted moisturizer if her skin had something that needed covering up. But I am not into the caked on makeup look.. Definitely not blue eyeshadow!

KpbS
02-02-2017, 10:26 AM
We are no where near the makeup stage, but since makeup makes girls look older (sometimes quite a bit older) I would probably insist that it remain "light" for now. Especially for school and social functions including teens. I guess you can define that however you see fit (limited eye makeup?) or allow her to only wear it on the weekends as she is new to makeup. She will be able to gauge how much she is applying and the durability of the makeup, the annoyances like it smearing or getting onto clothing, etc. and get some experience that way.

georgiegirl
02-02-2017, 10:31 AM
DD turns 11 next month, and she's not at all interested. About 1.5 years ago, she went to a party where the kids did makeovers, and she asked to buy some makeup. I got her some, but the rule was only at home and wash up after. The make up was interesting for a few months, but I don't think she's touched it in a year. She's a competitive swimmer, so I can't see make up being very high on her list of priorities. She does have a classmate (acquaintance friend) who wears make up to school. She wore eyeliner last year in 4th grade!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JBaxter
02-02-2017, 10:46 AM
I think at 13 I was allowed mascara tinted powder light blush and tinted lip gloss By 15 I was all into the eye liner eye shadow foundation etc. I was in the 80's so it was the norm where I grew up.

belovedgandp
02-02-2017, 11:03 AM
I was surprised to see a fourth grader at school on Tuesday with make-up. Just in the lunchroom on a normal day and she definitely had eyeliner, shadow and mascara. As someone who rarely wears make-up and should probably spend some time in my room practicing; I was impressed by how nice it looked.

JustMe
02-02-2017, 11:23 AM
I was really resistant to make-up (to be honest), but once dd turned 13 I really don't have many rules about it. I am trying to think if there is anything I restrict, but I don't. I will say that she is now almost 14 and has gotten better and better about how to apply it (although I don't always agree with the style and feel she would look better with less that's my opinion and hers seems to be different). When she puts on colors that clash, blush that just really is not blended in, I will point it out to her and ask her if that is the way she wants it to look.

mom2binsd
02-02-2017, 11:31 AM
DD is 13.5, 8th grade, she has been wearing eyeliner for awhile, last fall she got into eye pallets, so some eye shadow, and a bit of concealer to even out her skin. A younger friend stayed with us and she introduced her to smash box and other expensive lines, she uses gift cards from Christmas to buy anything, as I don't pay for makeup, especially at sephora and her price points! . I buy my makeup at Walgreens! She does contour and apply it very well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BunnyBee
02-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Don't touch mine without asking and never share eye stuff with friends. Other than that, whatever. She went a little nuts at first, and I have had to ask her to tone it down for specific events (work family obligations), but she's now way better at makeup than I am!

bisous
02-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Interesting. This hasn't been on my radar since for forever I've had only boys. My mom's policy was that I could wear whatever I liked whenever and she gave me access to cosmetics. That sounds scary to me as a mom but it meant that by the time I was a teen I was pretty awesome at putting it on. I think I'm the only one of my four sisters that even cared. Despite free access my three little sisters never really wore makeup until late high school and that was very subtle. (Maybe they didn't want to look like a clown like me? Lol!)

bisous
02-02-2017, 01:06 PM
OP, I think like with every rule you have to consider your child too. I know your DD is pretty impulsive (if I remember correctly) so what might be right for her might not be right for another kid. I'm sure you know that. I guess I"m putting that out there for my benefit because I'm in the process of planning ahead and if anything my current overarching rule in parenting is "depends on the kid" which made me think to post that here.

stinkyfeet
02-04-2017, 02:02 PM
I only have boys, but if I did have girls,
If she were leaving the house, I would probably only allow her to curl her lashes, use a natural mascara and wear sheer lip gloss/tinted lip balm. I'd probably let her wear powder if her skin is oily. (And this is from a person who LOVES [emoji7]makeup!)

If she wanted to play with makeup at home, I'd let her do whatever she wants as long as she washed it off before bed.

squimp
02-04-2017, 02:15 PM
I have a 13-yo but she is not into makeup at all. Most girls her age wear makeup and I would let her if she was interested. All of her friends wear makeup. For us this would be hard to set rules except for not sharing mascara.

squimp
02-04-2017, 02:17 PM
I only have boys, but if I did have girls,
If she were leaving the house, I would probably only allow her to curl her lashes, use a natural mascara and wear sheer lip gloss/tinted lip balm. I'd probably let her wear powder if her skin is oily. (And this is from a person who LOVES [emoji7]makeup!)

If she wanted to play with makeup at home, I'd let her do whatever she wants as long as she washed it off before bed.

Just curious, but do you know many 13-year old girls? When I was a 7th or 8th grader it was full on wet eyeliner and blue eyeshadow, and I don't think things have changed much since I was a kid.

mom2binsd
02-04-2017, 02:50 PM
It seems like makeup has become a "thing" now as well, probably because of the internet/youtube tutorials etc. Teens are so much better at makeup now, probably better than many moms! My DD has done my eye makeup and did an amazing job.

Wearing makeup at a younger age is a lot more acceptable now I feel.

Walk into any Ulta or Sephora and there are lots of 13 year olds!

stinkyfeet
02-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Just curious, but do you know many 13-year old girls? When I was a 7th or 8th grader it was full on wet eyeliner and blue eyeshadow, and I don't think things have changed much since I was a kid.

Actually, I do see a lot of 13 y.o. kids as patients. When I do see them out and about with a full-face of makeup, I think it is inappropriate. But maybe that is JMHO. [emoji4]

jren
02-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Actually, I do see a lot of 13 y.o. kids as patients. When I do see them out and about with a full-face of makeup, I think it is inappropriate. But maybe that is JMHO. [emoji4]

I used to feel that way, and still do when I see 9 and 10 year olds out with makeup on. But now that we're actually there with my 13 year old, I can see the other side. She has body self-esteem issues as an early developer. She looks more like a 16 year old and had since she was 11. So when she's around kids her own age, she feels big, awkward, and ugly. Makeup makes her feel good about herself, so I let her go with it while also trying to reinforce that she doesn't NEED makeup to be beautiful. I resisted makeup for her at first, but once she got her period at 10 I loosened up a bit (clear mascara, gloss at first). I figure she's dealing the the unpleasant stuff of being a woman, might as well have some of the fun stuff too.

Pennylane
02-04-2017, 05:44 PM

Funny because I have two girls, one 12 and one 15 and neither wear makeup ,nor did I other than mascara and lip gloss until I was 16. I don't tell my girls they can't but I also let them know how beautiful they are naturally! My older will wear mascara occasionally but other than that has never even asked me to wear mom. I definitely would not allow my 12 year to wear it and am always surprised when I see a girl that age with a full face of makeup!

Ann

Pennylane
02-04-2017, 05:47 PM
I agree with Stinkyfeet! I just don't get why people want their children to grow up so fast! These girls have the rest of their lives to wear makeup, why not enjoy this beautiful youthful skin while they can!

bcafe
02-04-2017, 06:48 PM
I agree with Stinkyfeet! I just don't get why people want their children to grow up so fast! These girls have the rest of their lives to wear makeup, why not enjoy this beautiful youthful skin while they can!
While I agree with you about growing up too fast, the young teens just don't understand that their skin is beautiful and youthful, and honestly, many teens don't have beautiful skin. I know that I didn't realize this until many, many years later. I have no problem with a bit of makeup and I have a 14 yr old DD. She is pretty good about keeping it light so I don't really bother her about it. I do remind her to clean it off before bed or she would fall asleep with it still on her face.

Pennylane
02-04-2017, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=bcafe;4237750]While I agree with you about growing up too fast, the young teens just don't understand that their skin is beautiful and youthful, and honestly, many teens don't have beautiful skin. I know that I didn't realize this until many, many years later. I have no problem with a bit of makeup and I have a 14 yr old DD. She is pretty good about keeping it light so I don't really bother her about it. I do remind her to clean it off before bed or she would fall asleep with it still on her face.[/

A little makeup doesn't bother me but I am amazed to see how much girls as young as 12 wear. Colored eye shadow, foundation, it's just too much and lots of times that makes less than perfect skin look worse!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jren
02-04-2017, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=bcafe;4237750]While I agree with you about growing up too fast, the young teens just don't understand that their skin is beautiful and youthful, and honestly, many teens don't have beautiful skin. I know that I didn't realize this until many, many years later. I have no problem with a bit of makeup and I have a 14 yr old DD. She is pretty good about keeping it light so I don't really bother her about it. I do remind her to clean it off before bed or she would fall asleep with it still on her face.[/

A little makeup doesn't bother me but I am amazed to see how much girls as young as 12 wear. Colored eye shadow, foundation, it's just too much and lots of times that makes less than perfect skin look worse!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I've steered my DD to tinted moisturizer with SPF instead of foundation. She'd like to try foundation but I won't buy it so she hasn't tried it. I don't even wear it. She looks really natural and not overdone. On the flip side, one of her best friends is two years older (15) and will probably never wear makeup. Kids and people are different, and it's all good. She already has it hard enough (had to pull her from 7th grade and homeschooling due to suicidal thoughts), im going to just let her be her. Hate to think others are always judging though. I know she feels it and that was part of what pushed her over the edge, friends judging her because she's not exactly like them. Oh well.

squimp
02-04-2017, 10:21 PM

Wearing makeup doesn't exactly mean kids are growing up too fast. I wore tons of makeup in junior high, and was as innocent as can be. I don't think it's a big deal. My DD doesn't want to wear makeup, and she has to defend that decision. It is hard enough to be a teen girl without people judging left and right. I know lots of 13-yo girls and some of them wear some make up, more than lip gloss and it looks lovely to me. Yes to each their own.

AnnieW625
02-04-2017, 10:40 PM
:yeahthat: very well said!

I think at 13 I was allowed mascara tinted powder light blush and tinted lip gloss By 15 I was all into the eye liner eye shadow foundation etc. I was in the 80's so it was the norm where I grew up.

:yeahthat: for this preteen (88 to 90) and teen (from 90 to 96). I started wearing mascara, concealer (to cover acne) and lipstick in the 7th grade. My mom did make me wear clear mascara though. I think I switched to regular mascara in 9th or 10th grade. I started eyeshadow in the 10th grade, but I didn't wear it all of the time.

Dd1 is 10 and wears light makeup only for ballet performances. She wears lip balm and has such long lashes and wears glasses that she most likely won't need much mascara until she decides she wants contacts. She can't wear more than lip gloss or light lip stain to school in middle school next year (she goes to Catholic school and that is the rule). .

KpbS
02-05-2017, 12:29 AM

:yeahthat:

KpbS
02-05-2017, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=Pennylane;4237756]

I've steered my DD to tinted moisturizer with SPF instead of foundation. She'd like to try foundation but I won't buy it so she hasn't tried it. I don't even wear it. She looks really natural and not overdone. On the flip side, one of her best friends is two years older (15) and will probably never wear makeup. Kids and people are different, and it's all good. She already has it hard enough (had to pull her from 7th grade and homeschooling due to suicidal thoughts), im going to just let her be her. Hate to think others are always judging though. I know she feels it and that was part of what pushed her over the edge, friends judging her because she's not exactly like them. Oh well.

Sending big hugs, Jren. :hug: :hug: I'm glad she is feeling good about herself and makeup. I totally get your point about makeup and young teens. I don't want mine wearing it when she is that age (my preference), but I've got a DC who ppl would criticize for some social behaviors and it's just not an easy call. You've got to raise the kid you've got.