PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's child experience tonsillectomy bleeding?

MSWR0319
02-02-2017, 09:47 AM
DS had his tonsils out 10 days ago. Last night he started spitting up red blood and sounded like he was swallowing it. I got it to stop with ice and called the on-call dr who told us to go to the ER since he wouldn't open his mouth for me to look in. When we got to the ER, he looked in there and said he looked good and that it was from the scabs falling off. He said it was "normal" to see some blood and he wasn't concerned, didn't even call the on-call ENT. The ENT called this morning to check on us since the dr wasn't called from the ER last night and said red blood wasn't normal but a little bit may come from dry scabs. DS has been drinking super well. Anyway, just wondered if anyone else experienced some amounts of bleeding and it only happened once. I'm paranoid now for ht rest of this recovery. (Please don't share your big bleeding stories, I'm not sure I can handle it right now even though I know it happens!)

elephantmeg
02-02-2017, 10:02 AM
10 days is when you see bleeding. If it's not actively bleeding now that they are off you should be good. Do try to restrict activity, keep super hydrated and keep an eye on it. It might make you feel better for the ent to look at him-if you are still uneasy call them and ask for an appointment. Hugs!!!!

georgiegirl
02-02-2017, 11:28 AM
DS1 didn't bleed after. I heard that some kids do (and that's why they can't have any red jello, popsicles, etc, so you can tell if they are vomiting blood or it's just the food.). Definitely keep him low key today (no running, jumping, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
02-02-2017, 01:16 PM
DS1 didn't bleed after. I heard that some kids do (and that's why they can't have any red jello, popsicles, etc, so you can tell if they are vomiting blood or it's just the food.). Definitely keep him low key today (no running, jumping, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DS1 didn't bleed at all either, and neither did DH when he had his out last year. DS was doing so well and didn't even lose any blood during surgery. This kid is always keeping me on my toes. I'm trying to keep him low key, which is next to impossible. He was trying to jump from foot rest to foot rest when we got into the ER waiting room last night. Seriously kid! Only good thing is that he's so tired from being up late that he doesn't have much energy.

carolinamama
02-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Not my kids but I had bleeding after my tonsillectomy at age 25. It was about the same time frame and sounds like a similar experience. I think I started over exerting myself too much trying to get back to my normal before my body was ready. My ENT had me watch it closely while decreasing my activity again and it didn't bleed again. Hope you guys have the same experience.

KpbS
02-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Yes, just keep him resting. Any activity (or lack there of!) that keeps him still is good. Lots of tv/movies/coloring/games/etc. If he feels nauseated or throws up, I would call/go in to be seen. Hopefully it is just a blip and he'll be past this point in another couple of days. Hang in there! Keep him drinking lots too.

MSWR0319
02-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Not my kids but I had bleeding after my tonsillectomy at age 25. It was about the same time frame and sounds like a similar experience. I think I started over exerting myself too much trying to get back to my normal before my body was ready. My ENT had me watch it closely while decreasing my activity again and it didn't bleed again. Hope you guys have the same experience.

This is what I am thinking happened too. DS1 had an ENT appt (she even looked at DS2 and said he looked good). Then we went to Costco and Target. He didn't do a lot but he didn't want to ride long in the cart, so he walked. That's more than he's done in a week and a half so I think it may have been too much. Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm hoping we have no more bleeding. I can't take it!! It scares me.