PDA

View Full Version : Time tracking app for iPad that isn't Spyware?

toby
02-04-2017, 04:55 PM
I have been researching this for a week and have found some options that would fit the bill, but they aren't for iPad (for example: "Moment"). I don't want to use SpyWare.

It is a long, exhausting and boring saga, but I am tired of fighting with DS about how long he has been on the iPad and whether he was reading, playing video games or on the internet. We installed Mobicip so we can see how much time he is on the internet, but we can't tell for the other things.

Do you know of an app that will show how much time is spent on (other) apps?

I just discovered that under Settings and Battery, you can see the amount of time BUT it does it for the past 24 hours and you aren't able to reset it to zero.

jhamman
02-10-2017, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure if it counts as spyware, but we recently started using Qustodio on DS's iPad and iPhone (I think we found a recommendation for it on commonsensemedia.org).

It looks like the parent interface can tell you which apps are being used on a daily/weekly/monthly basis (for example, I see yesterday DS used Pokemon Go for 6 minutes, and he watched Netflix for 11 minutes).

My concern was not so much which app was being used, but I wanted greater control over websites that were being visited, and it has worked well for that. It also allows you to set the hours that internet access is allowed, which I like.

The mobile app for the parent interface is awkward, though, and I find myself logging into the desktop version when I need to modify some of the settings.

I would love to hear of other options, though, if anyone else has recommendations for this kind of app.

o_mom
02-10-2017, 05:06 PM
We use Screentime for DS3. We have an older version that was free and Android only, but it really is a good product and it looks like it supports iOS now, but it is a paid version.

You can choose which apps count toward screentime, so if reading is unlimited you can have that. You can also restrict hours so that some apps are off at one time, but others can be used later, for reading at bedtime, for example. There is a 14 day free trial if you want to check it out.

ETA: https://screentimelabs.com/

TwinFoxes
02-11-2017, 04:49 AM
What constitutes spyware? I've heard of a few apps, but I don't know if you'd consider them spyware.Right now we just tell our kids screen time is over. It's not always pleasant, that's for sure. I don't get into who's been doing what.