PDA

View Full Version : Clean out pantry for kitchen remodel?

niccig
02-04-2017, 07:18 PM
We're planning a remodel of kitchen, dining room, family room -it's going to take 4-5 months. I'm looking at all the staples I have in my pantry that I won't be using during the remodel as won't have operating oven - baking supplies like different flours, brown sugar etc. I'll try to use up what I have and not buy anything, but what do I do will it all. Toss and start fresh? I have no where to put any of this. There are cabinets in the garage, but it's deattached structure, not climate controlled, no critters get in, and while I do put sodas, bottles of water out there, I'm not sure about baking supplies etc.

kristenk
02-04-2017, 07:54 PM
I would get rid of any items that are close to expiration or that you haven't used in quite a while. Donate any unopened items that you don't think you'll use during the remodel. For the other stuff, I'd buy one large storage container and put whatever I could in there.

pastrygirl
02-04-2017, 08:59 PM
YES, move it! We put everything we weren't going to use into big storage bins in the basement.

niccig
02-05-2017, 02:29 AM
I will donate anything that isn't open to a food pantry, and meanwhile I'll use up what I can. I can put pantry items in a big plastic bin in the garage. We have to store most of what's in the house in the garage and in a storage unit too. I just had a thought - maybe we should move garage items to storage unit with the furniture and move house items we may need to get to, into the cabinets in the garage. We have 2 walls of cabinets in the garage, and just put in a new garage door and access door, so it's all tight and secure. It does mean moving a lot of things around, but I'd prefer to have my jam making supplies that's in the garage in an off-site storage unit for 5 months and something from house that I may actually need to use in the garage.

kristenk
02-05-2017, 12:42 PM
That sounds like a good idea, nicci.

twowhat?
02-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Is the pantry like a closet with a door and is it included in the remodel? If it's not included in the remodel, I don't see why you'd have to empty it. We didn't empty ours during our kitchen remodel. You can keep all your shelf-stable stuff, cover the air vent (if there is one) with a filter to keep out dust, keep a rolled up towel stuffed under the door to keep out dust. And use it at additional storage during the remodel.

Having said that, a remodel is the perfect time to clean out a pantry!

Globetrotter
02-05-2017, 02:44 PM
It sounds like yours is a huge remodel, but when we scraped our acoustic ceilings and repainted and did some other stuff, we kept the less perishable food in the pantry closets and covered it with huge towels. They painted the doors of the pantries, so we couldn't seal them off. However, Ours didn't take 4 to 5 months. In your situation, I think your idea is good to move stuff from the garage into storage and keep the everyday stuff in the garage. Although it will be a huge hassle, it would be worth it for 4 to 5 months! There is anything you can live without for 4-5 months, like appliances, then you could seal them and store them in the pantry.

niccig
02-05-2017, 03:07 PM
We have to clean out laundry, kitchen, family room, dining room and living room- eventually bedrooms too as the floors are being refinished. The pantry is a cabinet that's being ripped out.

I am thinking putting garage things into storage may be what we need to do. We have lots of cabinets out there to put breakables that won't get broken in a box. Above the cabinets are wooden shelves, that we could put boxes. Currently it's scuba gear, sporting gear, luggage etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)