PDA

View Full Version : How do I wash my electric blanket??

cookiemonster80
02-06-2017, 10:52 AM
My parents were here this weekend and had some sort of virus. I need to wash my electric blanket that they used. My directions say to let it soak in soap and water mixture and then go straight to rinse and spin.

I have a couple questions:
1. the plug on the blanket that I plug the controls and outlet cord into is sewn into the blanket- so I guess I wash this as is with the blanket?
2. the directions say cold water- but people were sick when they used it so I'd like to use hot water- can I??

Thanks anyone with any insight!

schrocat
02-07-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm curious too. My 3 year old threw up on my nice comfy electric blanket a few weeks ago and I'm so tempted to throw it all away and just buy a new electric blanket.

barkley1
02-07-2017, 11:37 AM
If it were me, if there wasn't any bodily fluids on it (sorry schrocat), I'd put it away for a few weeks and let all the cooties die and just pull it back out later. Even norovirus will die after max 2 weeks.

Mikey0709
02-07-2017, 11:56 AM
I don't have a blanket, but I have an electric mattress pad that I CANNOT live without.

Washed it a few times with no issues. Yes - the wires stay inside once you unhook it from the external plugs. I do mine on delicate, and I follow the instructions. It's come out fine.

I think i would stick with cold water, for fear it may shrink (If that even matters?). It sounds like yours doesn't want it to go through any agitation cycle - for fear of damaging or shifting the wires inside maybe? Like above said - if you worried about virus, hibernate it for a week or two, hang it in the sun to dry, etc..... no virus will last that long.

Good luck!

petesgirl
02-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Could you call the company that made it and get more specific instructions from them?

KpbS
02-08-2017, 01:32 AM
Another vote to just wait and let the viruses die. Most viruses can't live outside of a host for more than 20 min.