PDA

View Full Version : Genetic profile?

zukeypur
02-07-2017, 03:22 PM
DH is really interested in getting a 23 and Me type genetic profile, both for genealogy and medical reasons. I realize that the info we will receive doesn't guarantee the development/absence of any condition (I have a masters in Molecular Pathology-just putting that out there ;). We just want to do this for fun. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with either this company or another one?

Charlie
02-07-2017, 03:52 PM
If you haven't already done so, you should google and read articles regarding concerns about what this company is doing or could be doing with this information so you make an informed decision about whether or not you are comfortable going forward.

petesgirl
02-07-2017, 03:56 PM
I got my parents the Ancestry. Com DNA kit for Christmas. The resulting info will be only for geanological purposes but I was reading somewhere that you can pay an extra fee (like $10 ish) to have the data sent out to another lab that will give more medical info... I need to look into that further for my parents.
So, I don't really have any useful info for you just throwing that out as another company to look into.

mikala
02-07-2017, 04:04 PM
If you haven't already done so, you should google and read articles regarding concerns about what this company is doing or could be doing with this information so you make an informed decision about whether or not you are comfortable going forward.
I agree with this, especially with the likely repeal of preexisting condition protections.

zukeypur
02-07-2017, 04:14 PM
The pre-existing condition ship has already sailed with us, unfortunately. DH and I would never be able to afford healthcare on our own if insurance companies are able to price based on health data. And that's with the stuff we know about.

marymoo86
02-07-2017, 04:22 PM
I'm so curious on this as well but not comfortable with the lack of privacy and data collection.

hillview
02-08-2017, 11:02 AM
I did it and found it interesting if not earth shattering. I am adopted so didn't have ANY info.

lauren3110
02-08-2017, 03:26 PM
I did it and found it interesting if not earth shattering. I am adopted so didn't have ANY info.

Can you elaborate? I'm adopted and have always been curious.

zukeypur
02-08-2017, 07:20 PM

I hadn't thought of the adoption aspect. I know a little about DD1's birth family, but not a lot. I certainly don't have any medical info.

lalasmama
02-10-2017, 12:53 AM

This was my reason for wanting to get it done as well! I was adopted as an infant, and had no idea of my ancestry for most of my life. I met my birth mother, aunts, uncles, and cousins about 7 years ago, so I know a little more, but still not much. Birth mom's mom died when birth mom was only 14 (and the oldest kid in the family was only like 19), and it's not like anyone ever sat down and said, "Here's where our family is from," etc., before she died. A cousin--no idea how far removed, honestly--did one of the tests to find out more, and so we know part of our family (my mother's maternal side, as it was a cousin from that side with my birth grandmother's maiden name) is from Germany, and little else. But, he was doing a y-specific profile, if I remember correctly.

So, DH, youngest DD, and I will be doing it over the next year or so. We know a lot about DH's genealogy (his mom is into it, both for her side, and his father's side of the family), but he's still interested. We know little about mine, and little about DD's (despite having full access to half of her biological family!), so it should be interesting for all of us.

I'll admit we never much considered the medical testing side of it... However, it's not like I've ever been very healthy from a genetic standpoint, and already have plenty of diagnoses, so I can't see it impacting me much from that angle.

corrie23
02-10-2017, 03:22 PM
I donated my DNA to research on rare cancers (sarcoma) following my diagnosis at age 36 (no family history of cancer). They used 23 and me and I got access to the data. I found it interesting and I do think that the information can be worthwhile. I've had my oldest child do 23 and me and I also bought kits for my parents shortly after my dad was diagnosed with ALS.

Mine was done before the FDA problems so my reports were more complete. For the ones we've done since then we've downloaded the raw data and run it through other programs to interpret the results (e.g. genetic genie, Promethease, etc.) Honestly, the cost of 23 and Me was less than running MTHFR tests on me and all the kids, and the data gave us that result and scads more.

As for what will happen with the information, I just defer to my conscious life choice to not let fear about what might happen run my decision-making. It took me a long time to reach that point in my life, but for me personally it is the choice that keeps me sane.

lauren3110
03-14-2017, 08:39 PM
I donated my DNA to research on rare cancers (sarcoma) following my diagnosis at age 36 (no family history of cancer). They used 23 and me and I got access to the data. I found it interesting and I do think that the information can be worthwhile. I've had my oldest child do 23 and me and I also bought kits for my parents shortly after my dad was diagnosed with ALS.

Mine was done before the FDA problems so my reports were more complete. For the ones we've done since then we've downloaded the raw data and run it through other programs to interpret the results (e.g. genetic genie, Promethease, etc.) Honestly, the cost of 23 and Me was less than running MTHFR tests on me and all the kids, and the data gave us that result and scads more.

As for what will happen with the information, I just defer to my conscious life choice to not let fear about what might happen run my decision-making. It took me a long time to reach that point in my life, but for me personally it is the choice that keeps me sane.

Sorry to revive old thread but what type of info did you get that you might be fearful of? My husband, me, and oldest dd are all mthfr homozygous and my endo encouraged me to have genetic testing done on my 3 girls. DH had blood clots recently and also tested positive for several lupus antibodies. I'm getting a screening mammogram next month because of me starting to panic about not knowing my medical history (adopted). I'm participating in the genes for good study but haven't gotten the swab yet.