PDA

View Full Version : Moms with kids who play travel baseball in/near Houston

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
02-07-2017, 03:49 PM
My son's team is looking to do a tournament in/around Houston this summer, end of June/early July.

I have questions:
1. What's the temperature? (I'm from CA, when it gets to 85 degrees, I'm miserable)
2. How do you watch the game when it's hot outside? We'll be travelling, so I won't have my bleacher seat, umbrella, etc.
3. Is the dirt out there the red kind? Or just "regular" brown dirt?
4. Humidity?

Gosh, my head is spinning. Not even sure that I'm asking the right questions.

MSWR0319
02-07-2017, 04:09 PM
I'm sure you get some answers from locals soon. However, when I visited there in late May it was very hot and humid! The humidity made it worse than it really was. I'm fairly sure it will be above 85 in June/July and humid. I live in the Midwest and it gets hot and humid here too. Not as hot there, but above 85. We just take lots of water, wear hats, sunglasses, and sometimes an umbrella for a game. Try to get in some shade when you can to cool off and stay hydrated! You can also put something cool around your neck if need be.

JBaxter
02-07-2017, 05:04 PM
We play soccer in Florida. All I can say is hydrate hydrate hydrate I love my yeti tumbler for ice water. I also have a lawn chair with a canopy not this exact one but very similar https://www.walmart.com/ip/50023634?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222037553936&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10363881720&wl4=kwd-1103060598081&wl12=50023634_10000001275&wl14=lawn%20chair%20with%20a%20canopy&veh=sem

KpbS
02-08-2017, 01:25 AM
From a neighboring state...

temperature at the end of June/July: incredibly hot, 100+. Humidity also 100%.
I would purchase items locally to make watching the games bearable, umbrella, chairs, etc. You will want shade for sure.
Can't quite remember the dirt in Houston, but I think it's reddish.
Humidity--oh yeah. Definitely hydrate! Drink constantly and be prepared to take it very easy the rest of the day/evening post-game. Being outside when it is super hot and humid really wipes you out even if you are not the one playing sports.

Should be memorable and hope the kids have fun!

smilequeen
02-08-2017, 01:49 AM
I don't live in Houston, but I have a select baseball player in a humid state (although Houston is a whole different level IMO and I think even I would be miserable watching baseball there at that time of year). I think you need to prepare to be miserable. If you can buy portable fans, a really good cooler, really good water bottles. You need to stay hydrated. Drink a lot of water before you even go outside and keep drinking it. Bring something to fan yourself and find yourself some shade. Go sit in the air conditioned car for a while if you have to. Make sure to buy cooling towels for your son and probably for yourself as well.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/mission-enduracool-instant-cooling-mesh-xl-towel-ss13maedclmshtwlbl/ss13maedclmshtwlbl?&color=Blue

I use the Swell water bottles for myself and a big water bottle for DS...if anything calls for spending a ridiculous amount of money on a water bottle...this is it.

Honestly, we always have a few people bring pop up tents to baseball tournaments and we gather all our chairs under them and sit together in the shade. Heat and humidity together is no joke. But it's good for your skin ;)

mom2khj
02-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Soccer mom in Houston here. Late June/Early July is HOT. And most likely very humid. Highs probably in 90s. Lows in 70s, maybe. It does not cool down a lot at night.

We have pop-up canopies for shade (check the location you'll be at, IME with nephews baseball not all have covered bleachers).
Drink lots of water before, during and after.
We have these - http://thechillingspot.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=85 and these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XKLYWFU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

liz
02-09-2017, 11:12 AM
DS and DH use those cooling towels to drape over their neck/head to help cool down. We'll bring a gladware container, fill it with ice and water and place the cooling towel inside. DS can just take it out, wring it out and use it. When he's done with it, it goes back into the gladware with the ice water ready for the next time. Sounds easy enough to pack for your tournament. I would also buy a disposable cooler or bring a packable one. Grab ice and drinks from the hotel or store. Rain umbrellas to use as sun shade. Would it be worth it to pack your bleacher seats?

mom2binsd
02-10-2017, 06:49 PM
The cooling towels help, but honestly you are gonna sweat a lot, wear a tank that breathes, without a bra if possible and bring a change of clothes if you go right from the ballgame to a restaurant.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
02-10-2017, 06:54 PM
The cooling towels help, but honestly you are gonna sweat a lot

Thanks. Maybe I can sweat away this extra 15 pounds I'm carrying. One can only hope. :)