PDA

View Full Version : Favorite chair for watching baseball???? Other tips?

mom2binsd
02-08-2017, 09:59 PM
So DS is branching out from hockey (where it's comfy, no bugs, no rain or humidity) and my girlfriend and I need to make this as painless as possible.

Any great chair we should buy? We have the regular chair in a bag with two cupholders (and we'll be using stainless containers for our beverages). Maybe a canopy? How about a footrest? Back rub machine (too much?)

It's just regular baseball, not travel, but still, it seems like a lot of time spent outside not poolside or on my patio!

Tell me it will be ok! We have played travel hockey for the last 3/4 years with the same families, at least two of his hockey friends will be on his team.

bnme
02-09-2017, 06:54 AM
LOL, my kids don't play ice hockey but my nephew does. I'd rather be outside then in the cold rink! I find I enjoy most of the season and relish the extra time outside, but the extremes (cold or heat) are tough. We mostly sit on a blanket on the bleacher. The stadium seats that attach to bleachers are great for your back.

liz
02-09-2017, 10:59 AM
I have a couple of these chairs: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/kelsyus-original-canopy-chair/16kesu2016rgnlcnpodr?camp=CSE:GooglePLA:16KESU2016 RGNLCNPODR:16582187-DSG:OUTDOOR-RECREATION_OUTDOOR-RECREATION_FURNITURE_CHAIRS&gclid=Cj0KEQiAw_DEBRChnYiQ_562gsEBEiQA4LcssiZdXnda RNfj0EZRUTtwfJag5QlHFwxUPxYH9BLdeCMaAmwW8P8HAQ. They are so easy to set up and pack up. FWIW, I paid about $25 each at my local warehouse club.

I usually have a fleece travel blanket in my car for extra warmth on those cold days. I dress in layers so I can add/remove as needed. I pack a small cooler with some drinks and snacks. I live in the NE so during baseball season we swing from freezing weather to summer with hot humid temps. Rain umbrellas make decent sun shade as well.

Kindra178
02-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Any camp chair is comfortable enough. Also recommend waterproof blankets and supply of gloves and hats for your car. It gets really, really when you are outside for two hours in April and May. I try to bring tea in an insulated travel mug too.

smilequeen
02-09-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm with you :) Hockey is easier for me, I know exactly what it's going to feel like and how to prepare the same for every game. Uggs, warm coat, blanket, stadium seat (mine is heated :)), coffee :)

Baseball...it can be cold, it can rain, it can be crazy hot. Some fields have covered bleachers, some have no seating, etc. It's far harder to plan for.

Our home field has nice shaded bleachers, good concessions, etc. I take very little. A stadium seat with a back if I want to, a good water bottle, cooling towels when it's hot.

We do tournaments all over and you have to be prepared. We don't have a tent but only a few people on the team need to and we all share. We have these chairs
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/sport-brella-recliner-chair-16llaurclnrchrxxxodr/16llaurclnrchrxxxodr?&color=Blue
and a folding wagon
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/quest-folding-sports-wagon-16queuqfldngtltysodr/16queuqfldngtltysodr?&color=Black

I have one of the small yeti coolers and DS has the 64 ounce yeti for hot days (and just a plain UA jug for other days). I use S'well water bottles for myself. I will take clip on battery operated fans (that we actually bought for the stroller way back when) for hot days.

mom2binsd
02-09-2017, 03:07 PM
No bleachers and I like the idea of the canopy. With hockey, games only last 45 min tops and practice is an hour, and it's rare that I find a rink that is cold enough to even need gloves or more than a light jacket. Will look for their canopy chairs. No concessions either so a cup holder is key. It's the bugs that I'm mainly concerned about, I react to bites and even wearing high deet repellent I get bit!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

rlu
02-09-2017, 03:53 PM
I just kept a camp chair in my car, along with a jacket, sunhat, sunglasses, ski hat, gloves and blanket. Pulled out whichever was appropriate that day. No practice/games if it rained so not an issue here.

Didn't have an issue with bugs so can't help much on that front. We do use deet-ingredient bug repellant when camping. DH will also light a citronella candle on the picnic table (camping) but I'm not a big believer in that alone.

eta: I had a "go bag" for baseball days - book (not that I read when they actually played ;)), snack, soda/water bottle, clipboard with scratch paper and pen (DH was an assistant coach and this came in handy for the lineup during practice) and extra snacks for DS for afterwards (he wasn't always big on the after-game snacks).

DS aged out of his rec league, I miss it in some ways.

heatherlynn
02-09-2017, 04:30 PM
I'm another one who would take hockey over baseball any day, for the reasons stated above! I have the Sportbrella chair and I like it but I find that I sweat a lot in it! I'm looking for one with a mesh back now. I'd like a footrest, but I always like to put my feet up, so not necessarily a big deal. We have the Sportbrella umbrella that's like a half dome that goes into the ground and my kids like that a lot. They can lie down in it.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
02-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Baseball...it can be cold, it can rain, it can be crazy hot. Some fields have covered bleachers, some have no seating, etc. It's far harder to plan for.

Yes, to this above. We play travel ball, so I'm frequently at the field all day long. I have a folding wagon (http://www.target.com/p/mac-sports-folding-wagon-red/-/A-14022570), which is always packed with the stadium seats, a cooler full of drinks, snacks, and ice (for injuries, yes they happen frequently). We also have a umbrella stand (https://www.amazon.com/Original-Umbrella-Stand-Bench-Holder/dp/B00LGX06PE), and bring along a beach umbrella. On hot days, we are the most popular people around. :) I have a younger daughter, and the wagon is also filled with her stuff - things to keep her occupied.