PDA

View Full Version : How would you have responded to this ?

Pennylane
02-08-2017, 10:48 PM
Ran into a friend that I haven't seen or talked to in ages today at school . We aren't super close but would text occasionally as our children are friends and have been to lunch once or twice . I said something like " wow, it's been forever since I've seen you! What has been keeping you so busy?" . Her response " We have really been trying to spend our precious little free time with those we will be spending eternity with ".

I think my jaw kinda fell open . I just replied with a "oh, well good to run into you " and walked away.

I mean she was basically saying I wouldn't be in heaven with her right ?!?

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2017, 10:52 PM
I don't think that's what she was saying. I think she just meant she was hunkering down with just her family. Maybe??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennylane
02-08-2017, 11:05 PM
I don't think that's what she was saying. I think she just meant she was hunkering down with just her family. Maybe??

Well she's pretty religious so I guess that's why it was my first thought . Maybe not though ?

BDKmom
02-08-2017, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry, she said what? I would have basically had the same reaction as you. I think she means more than just family, otherwise wouldn't she have said, "I've been trying to spend my precious little free time with my family"? I'm not sure there really is any way to respond. Seems pretty clear that she is saying that she is purposefully not spending time with you/your family. Not sure there is much you can say back to that.

Kindra178
02-08-2017, 11:34 PM
That's so bizarre. Sometimes people are just crazy and you have to leave it at that.

reneed
02-08-2017, 11:47 PM
That's so bizarre. Sometimes people are just crazy and you have to leave it at that.

This exactly!

bisous
02-08-2017, 11:52 PM
My guess is she means her family but that's still super awkward. I'd try not to take offense. It might be her way of saying that she's overwhelmed by family obligations. I have been there. If she isn't otherwise weird on further interactions I'd write it off as just a busy person and remark not thought through very well. But yeah, that's totally a weird response!

umsh
02-08-2017, 11:52 PM
First thought - if you have eternity with those people, maybe you can spend some of this life with the rest of us!

ett
02-09-2017, 12:44 AM
Yeah, that's pretty bizarre. I wouldn't know how to respond to that either.

KpbS
02-09-2017, 01:02 AM
Yeah, jaw dropping is appropriate--whoa!!

Super religious or not, the comment is plain rude. For crying out loud, she should have just said she's been so busy and great to see you!

:hug: :hug:

megs4413
02-09-2017, 03:09 AM
Sounds to me like she was trying to tell you she joined a cult. Good grief!

kara97210
02-09-2017, 03:22 AM
Sounds to me like she was trying to tell you she joined a cult. Good grief!

:yeahthat: I'm pretty religious and I find her statement really odd and slightly creepy.

klwa
02-09-2017, 07:56 AM
My assumption would be the same as yours was. She's been spending time at her church and they are some of those who only think they are going to heaven. But that's based on the number of people who have tried to get me "truly baptized" over the years because a Methodist sprinkling "doesn't count".

TwinFoxes
02-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Super religious or not, the comment is plain rude. For crying out loud, she should have just said she's been so busy and great to see you!

:yeahthat: I would have been just as confused as you. She sounds a little cuckoo.

cilantromapuche
02-09-2017, 09:40 AM
She sounds self-righteous?! There is no way to say that with sounding as if you are saying "not wasting my time with you".

twowhat?
02-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Good for you! I think you responded in the best possible way. I probably would've said something like "Oh, that's...nice" and probably not in the best tone of voice:)

Agree with others that religious or not, it's a really odd way of saying that she spends what little free time she has with family or close friends...since you know her and know that she's super religious I can see why that was your first thought.

sariana
02-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Interesting responses.

My first thought was that someone was dying and she wanted to spend time with that person now. Weird way to phrase it, but that was what I thought. In fact, I thought SHE might be dying but didn't really want to talk about it.

123LuckyMom
02-09-2017, 01:18 PM
She probably meant her family, especially if she's Mormon, but it was an odd response! I definitely don't think it was a slur about you or an attempt to state a judgment on the status of your afterlife. Still, a simple, "We've been trying to spend more time together as a family," would have been sufficient. If I were you, I'd let it roll off my back, or even send a note saying her answer concerned you and that you hope everything is okay.

MMMommy
02-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Odd response! A simple "Nice to see you too!" from her would suffice!

khm
02-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Ran into a friend that I haven't seen or talked to in ages today at school . We aren't super close but would text occasionally as our children are friends and have been to lunch once or twice . I said something like " wow, it's been forever since I've seen you! What has been keeping you so busy?" . Her response " We have really been trying to spend our precious little free time with those we will be spending eternity with ".

I think my jaw kinda fell open . I just replied with a "oh, well good to run into you " and walked away.

I mean she was basically saying I wouldn't be in heaven with her right ?!?

Ann

I'm not sure what she meant, but I think I'd have responded just like you did! It seems rather.... pointed? I mean, "those we will be spending eternity with" is rather wordy if she just meant "family" or even "our church".

I dunno, like PP said, something simple would have sufficed.

My neighbor was talking about the lady that used to live in our house. She said they were really pretty friendly. They'd go on walks with the dogs a lot and the kids hung out a lot, etc. Regular friend/neighbor stuff.

One day, after 3 years of knowing each other, they were on a walk and the lady piped up, "Ya know, it is too bad you guys won't end up in heaven with us...... (trails off wistfully for a second). Oh look, the Smiths got a new car."

BunnyBee
02-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Is she JW? Some religions discourage fraternizing with non-members.

That reply was bonkers. "Oh you know, usual busy kid stuff!" would suffice.

Corie
02-10-2017, 02:54 PM
I probably would have laughed and said, See you there, if you're lucky! :)

Pennylane
02-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Haha! Yes , I should have but I always think of a good comeback line hours after the fact[emoji23]

Ann

MMMommy
02-10-2017, 05:43 PM
My neighbor was talking about the lady that used to live in our house. She said they were really pretty friendly. They'd go on walks with the dogs a lot and the kids hung out a lot, etc. Regular friend/neighbor stuff.

One day, after 3 years of knowing each other, they were on a walk and the lady piped up, "Ya know, it is too bad you guys won't end up in heaven with us...... (trails off wistfully for a second). Oh look, the Smiths got a new car."

:47: Wow, just wow!

bisous
02-10-2017, 05:44 PM

Kudos to all of you that can think to say these things on the fly. I never ever can. Instead I've perfected the jaw drop and only hours later can I come up with what I should have said, lol.

MamaMolly
02-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Hell is for eternity too. Just saying.

mikala
02-11-2017, 09:13 AM
LOL.

Welcome back!

trcy
02-11-2017, 09:15 AM

[emoji23]

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Dh says cult. Said it immediately.