PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about nail dipping

cookiemonster80
02-09-2017, 11:06 PM
I've heard this come up in a few conversations recently and I'm intrigued. I've heard it stays on for 30 days!!?? and doesn't ruin your nails.

Can this be true? I never have polish on my nails because I don't have the time to keep them looking neat and shellac doesn't stay on my mails longer than a few days and left them in shreds.

Any experience with how long it stays on? Chemically wise, how bad is it???

Percycat
02-10-2017, 02:26 PM
I think you should try it and see if you like it.

I have had my nails dipped a few times. Most times, the nail color did last for a many weeks. It was unbelievable. I still had nail growth, so if you looked at my nails, you would see that the nail bed area was not colored. I think I went back to the salon for a new "manicure" during the 4th week.

The nail is thicker and it felt different when my nail would hit something -- I play the piano and it felt strange to have dipped nails.

It is hard to remove the product. When I went to the salon, they soaked my nails in acetone wraps similar to gel nails. They also used the electric buffer to rough the paint surface. When I removed the product the last time, I soaked in acetone and used an orange stick.

The first couple times I dipped my nails, it seemed like they were healthier than when I used gel nails. The last time, my manicure did not last as long. I may have been rougher on my nails during the Christmas holidays, but I wound up wanting to remove the color after 2 weeks. I removed the product at home and my nails were weaker when I was finished. I don't know if this is because I wore powder color for so long or if I soaked in acetone too long or some other reason. I have been going natural for since Christmas waiting for my nails to feel normal again.

The place I go to doesn't do a full manicure with the lotion and cuticle oil when they use the powder product. I don't know if this is because they need the surface free of oil or if it is just their business practice. Also, the fingers are dipped into the dish that contains all of the product. I have since read that this is not hygienic and a separate bowl should be used for each customer with excess discarded --- I'm not sure of the reasoning because the same brush is used for multiple customers when liquid or gel polish is used.

I'm not sure what I will do the next time I get a manicure. It may depend on whether I want the full manicure with the lotion/oil/massage or just want pretty nails. I may get powder when I get my nails done again because there is a powder color I really like, but I may also get gel American manicure instead. My mom got an American powder manicure over the holidays and it looked nice and lasted a long time. I'm not sure if I want color to last 4 weeks because of the nail growth and exposed nail bed. It costs a little more to get powder where I go and not every nail tech is able to do the service, so it is a little more difficult to schedule the service.

Hope this helps. Please report back what you learn and your experience.