PDA

View Full Version : How many pizzas to buy question - thank you!!

magnoliaparadise
02-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Hi,

Can you give me your pizza views? I would SO appreciate it. I gave my 5 yo a birthday party last year and ordered way too many pizzas - some kids didn't show and others didn't eat - I had ordered 13 and we had many pies left!!!!!! People were cracking up there were so many!!!!

Tomorrow, I have invited most of the girls in my DD1s grade and will have 20 adults there PLUS 27 kids there - mostly 8 or 9 year olds, but of those about six will be 3 to 6 years old...

But now I am insecure in my pizza calculations!!!

I will have food to snack on (veggies, fruit) plus pizza.
The pizza will be served at **** 3:45 **** which I know is a crazy time and in between meals.

They are 18 inches and will be cut into 16 slices (rather than 8).

Given all of this... how many pizzas would you suggest?

I was thinking... Maybe 8?? i.e. 4 pies for the kids and 4 more pies for the adults?

Or 10, in total?

If it's 10 pizzas, I get them for a dollar off, but that might be too many pizzas!

THANK YOU!!!!!

cuca_
02-10-2017, 04:44 PM
I would get 6 pizzas, and I usually tend to get too much food. IME kids will eat around 2 pieces each. 48 pieces should be more than enough. I think at that time of the day some of the adults will not eat, but even if they do probably no more than 1 piece or 2

I think 8 pizzas is way too much!!

khm
02-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Tough one. Kids are tough and your timing is tough. We order pizza a lot for work. They are big diameter but thin crust. The guy aims for 1 pizza per 3 adults. We are mostly men, and he takes that into account. But this is for lunch..... I feel like 6 might be cutting it too close.

How many people did you have when you ordered the 13? How does the timing compare?

BunnyBee
02-10-2017, 07:41 PM
I would get 6 pizzas, and I usually tend to get too much food. IME kids will eat around 2 pieces each. 48 pieces should be more than enough. I think at that time of the day some of the adults will not eat, but even if they do probably no more than 1 piece or 2

I think 8 pizzas is way too much!!

I agree. I wouldn't eat pizza then, and adults certainly can hold off if the kids are strangely ravenous at 3:45. :)

doberbrat
02-10-2017, 08:00 PM
You're going to have nearly 50 people there. Even though there are more slices, I think that 6 pizzas is too close. 6x8=48 so thats 1 normal slice per person. If any gets dropped or you get the random kids who are big eaters (like mine) there definitely wont be enough. Also, are you getting only cheese? If you're getting a variety, it would be nice if there are extras so that there is more chance that people will get the kind they like.

teresah00
02-10-2017, 10:57 PM
I would get at least 8. I would rather have too much than run out.

KrisM
02-10-2017, 11:09 PM
I'd get 7 or 8.

SnuggleBuggles
02-10-2017, 11:27 PM
I'd go with 8. Have some filler snacks around like veggies and dip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magnoliaparadise
02-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your views!

I will get 7 or 8 pizzas. I'll probably get 8 and just be ok that there will be an extra half to whole pie left.

I think 3 adults wouldn't eat one pizza in this crowd - there are a lot of moms who are very careful about their weight and don't eat too much. Even the men usually don't eat more than 2 pizzas in past parties I have gone to.

I am all for having extra, but in my DD's party, I probably had 4-5 extra pies! Someone asked for the information about that one: that one was for noon, so a better meal time, and there were about 20 kids and 20 adults (there were supposed to be about 50 in total), but the kids were much younger... so it's not easily comparable to this party.

I'm getting all cheese - it's just easier that way.

Thank you!!

MMMommy
02-11-2017, 03:50 PM
With 7 or 8 pizzas, I would get a couple or a few with some toppings. Even though the kids will probably eat the cheese, I'm sure the adults would appreciate a combo topping pizza with meat, a veggie option one, etc.

petesgirl
02-11-2017, 06:21 PM
With 7 or 8 pizzas, I would get a couple or a few with some toppings. Even though the kids will probably eat the cheese, I'm sure the adults would appreciate a combo topping pizza with meat, a veggie option one, etc.

I agree. I wouldn't eat any cheese only pizza. But would if it had other toppings.

magnoliaparadise
02-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Well, update from OP here... in the end, I ordered 8 pizzas and the kids and parents only ate FOUR!!!!!!!
Part of the issue was that many more parents did drop off than I anticipated based upon their RSVPs. The 10 left barely ate anything. And the kids just wanted to get back to playing. And we had other fruits, veggies, and chips/dip/hummus.
So there you have it - if anyone is reading this in the future, just know that 6 pizzas would have more than done the trick! Who knew?! Live and learn. I am just glad I didn't order 10!
I think from now on, I'm going to assume adults barely eat pizza since most of them, even men, are trying to watch their weight.
Thanks again everyone!

Corie
02-11-2017, 11:15 PM
My husband and I are consistent pizza over-orderers. We have never been able to correctly figure
out the person to pizza ratio. :)