PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on a suitable beverage

megs4413
02-11-2017, 02:51 AM
Long story short:
My oldest (11yo DD) was recently diagnosed with PoTS (and EDS) and the cardiologist wants her on a high salt diet and drinking 2 liters of fluids a day: 1 water and 1 Gatorade/something with electrolytes.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but that seems like a crap ton of sugar. Does anyone know if I can find a beverage that isn't caffeinated, has electrolytes, not a ton of sugar, but no fake sugar???? Am I just not thinking of something? TIA!

Philly Mom
02-11-2017, 07:57 AM
I think Whole Foods has something. I believe it just tastes like water.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
02-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Will she drink fruit infused water? I have a pitcher that has a cylinder in the center you can fill with strawberries, kiwi or lemon or what ever fruit she wants.
https://www.amazon.com/Excifit-Premium-Infusion-Pitcher-Paperback/dp/B013EN7GSI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486816902&sr=8-2&keywords=fruit+infused+water+pitchers

Kindra178
02-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Smart Water, Vitamin Water Zero and Coconut Water.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

abh5e8
02-11-2017, 09:18 AM
1 L of Gatorade per day IS a ton of sugar... But sugar is one of the electrolyte s. You need glucose to help you body absorb the water and salt. I would buy glucose powder on Amazon and use it to make your own "Gatorade". The WHO has an easy recipe. It's water, sugar (sub in the glucose) and salt. Avoid sucrose or HFCS, which is in most commercial sweet beverages. Good luck! And I'm sorry to hear about your DD.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

elbenn
02-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Smart Water is just water with electrolytes.

BunnyBee
02-11-2017, 11:20 AM
They make electrolyte tablets. You can make your own solution, but it will depend on what she needs. DH's doctor recommended Lite Salt because it's mixed with potassium rather than straight sodium, which tends to cause water retention. Potassium is generally one of the ingredients in electrolyte replacements.

baileygirl
02-11-2017, 11:05 PM
You might look to see if body armour fits your needs. I give it to my kids instead of Gatorade. You can find it at target, Safeway, etc. I have considered buying nuun (tablets sold on Amazon and I think whole foods).

schrocat
02-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Coconut water.

khm
02-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Long story short:
My oldest (11yo DD) was recently diagnosed with PoTS (and EDS) and the cardiologist wants her on a high salt diet and drinking 2 liters of fluids a day: 1 water and 1 Gatorade/something with electrolytes.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but that seems like a crap ton of sugar. Does anyone know if I can find a beverage that isn't caffeinated, has electrolytes, not a ton of sugar, but no fake sugar???? Am I just not thinking of something? TIA!

I would really discuss this with the cardiologist. The balance of electrolytes they want are probably quite specific..

I get you are worried about the sugar, but this is a heart issue and shouldn't be taken lightly.

ETA edited for personal info. Just please make sure you are following docs orders. :-)