PDA

View Full Version : Best breastfeeding products?

lalasmama
02-12-2017, 01:30 AM
Getting ready to put together a little "care package" of breastfeeding supplies for my eldest bonus daughter before the baby is here... She is VERY motivated to breastfeed, but doesn't have a lot of general support around her. (Her husband is VERY supportive, as are her sister and I, but that's not much in the face of everyone else thinking breastfeeding isn't "worth the effort" involved.)

So, here's what I have so far:

Breastfeeding pillow. Thinking of My Brest Friend, which was the one I liked the most--but I was a pumper. Are there better ones out there now? Wanting to stay in the $30-50 range.

Haakaa-style breast "pump" to catch the excess letdown after she gets used to nursing. (Will likely do an "off brand" on this, since they are pretty basic and cheap. I've heard good things about the Blue Moon one.)

Motherlove Nipple Cream.

A good breastfeeding book (I have "Breastfeeding Your Baby" by Sheila Kitzinger ready to go, which I've always loved/appreciated for it's great pictures and narrations. It's my typical recommendation for a new first time breastfeeding mom).

Reusable breast pads, and disposable breast pads so she can decide which she prefers.

A few small baby washcloths/burp cloths to catch milk dribbles.

A cute water bottle.

Any other suggestions for what to add, or change? She already has the contact info for her local LLL and IBCLC :)

essnce629
02-12-2017, 03:08 AM
Hydrogel pads
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KGHUL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.AaOybE0TVVTZ

Nursing tea
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009F3SFA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wCaOybJPH3G6C

Breast hot/cold packs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070767DU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FJaOybZVY0K93

Nursing stool

Nursing tank

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Liziz
02-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Nursing tank tops -- I liked cheap-o Target ones for nighttime and very early on, and love, love, love Undercover Mama tanks for nursing down the road.

She'll also need some good nursing bras (I liked Bravado). Amazon has most of theirs with Free Returns, so it's easy to order several styles in several sizes and just return what doesn't work. Just buy close to the baby's due date so you have time to return.

And probably most important is just being available for support and encouragement, and questions if she has them!

JBaxter
02-12-2017, 08:34 AM
BIG water cup and I second the nursing tanks

gymnbomb
02-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Easy snacks to have during nighttime feedings. Nursing tanks (I also liked the Target brand ones), and one or two stretchy nursing bras (Bravado has a line at Target too). I wouldn't do any cup sized bras until her milk is in and size has stabilized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

schrocat
02-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Soothies are amazing for the first few days. I like the nursing tops from the Gap. I'd probably skip the breast pump because health insurance gives one free.

jam224
02-12-2017, 11:17 AM
I made a long list of my favorite baby gear when I had DD nearly 6 years ago. Breastfeeding was tough for me too (having the unwavering support of my husband and an awesome lactation consultant was key!!), but I was glad to have these things and highly recommend everything! I'm pretty sure you can find everything on Amazon (and Target has a lot of this stuff too), but if you need any links, let me know! I also really liked the Kelly Mom website for breastfeeding info. Hope this helps!

FOR BREASTFEEDING
* My Brest Friend nursing pillow -- I tried the Boppy at first and hated it.
* Burp cloths: Gerber 3-Ply Prefold Cloth Diapers -- Wash on HOT first, so they shrink; we bought 2 dozen. Absorbent and cheap.
* Lansinoh Soothies Gel Nursing Pads -- I put these in the fridge and they felt so good!
* Lansinoh Disposable Nursing Pads -- I used these until my supply was established.
* Bamboobies Washable Nursing Pads -- Once my supply was established, I used these. LOVE them!! Buy at least 3 pairs.
* Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter -- Lanolin free and smells like chocolate! Love this!
* Earth Mama Angel Baby Organic Milkmaid Tea -- This, along with drinking lots of water and eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning, helped me keep my supply up.
* Nursing cover: Hooter Hiders (Bebe au Lait) Cotton Nursing Cover -- As a first-time mom, I appreciated having this when I needed to nurse in public.
* Milkies milk saver -- When my baby nursed, I had excess milk from the other side, so I used this to collect it. Easy! I also highly preferred using manual expression, rather than a breast pump, so I used this for that too.
* Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags -- These lay completely flat, so great for maximizing freezer space.
* Nursing bras: Medela Comfort Nursing Bra and Bravado Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra -- I liked the Medela at first, then transitioned to the Bravado Body Silk.
* Itzbeen timer -- Simple and easy. Really great for DH to use because he preferred checking this, rather than bothering me for my phone or looking it up in the book, so that I could get much-needed sleep whenever I could!
* Baby Connect app -- Great if you like tracking on your smartphone. Also tracks vaccines, milestones, growth charts, medicine, and more.
* Feeding log: Baby's First Journal by Glow Baby -- Any notebook will do, but I liked the organization of this one. In addition to the digital tracking, I wanted to have a pen & paper way to document feedings, so that I could track any patterns in our schedule.

gymnbomb
02-12-2017, 11:38 AM
I will also add that these are the only things I ever used with my first: nursing cover, nursing tanks/bras, boppy, lanolin, nursing pads, pump, and storage bags. She may want/need soothers, compresses, teas, etc., or she may be overwhelmed with all that stuff and think it makes the whole thing more intimidating. You know her best, so you can gauge if she would prefer to have something on hand for every possibility, or just have the basics with the promise of support, troubleshooting, and additional supplies if needed later on :)

mikala
02-12-2017, 01:29 PM
I will also add that these are the only things I ever used with my first: nursing cover, nursing tanks/bras, boppy, lanolin, nursing pads, pump, and storage bags. She may want/need soothers, compresses, teas, etc., or she may be overwhelmed with all that stuff and think it makes the whole thing more intimidating. You know her best, so you can gauge if she would prefer to have something on hand for every possibility, or just have the basics with the promise of support, troubleshooting, and additional supplies if needed later on :)
Great advice. Some people want everything and the kitchen sink, others are overwhelmed by the quantity. Personally a nursing tank or stretchy cami over a nursing bra was key to breastfeeding outside the house because it allowed me to breastfeed in the car or public places without feeling really exposed with cold air on my postpartum belly. A great carrier is also key so mom can move around with baby hands free in those rare moments when baby isn't nursing.

In general the most supportive thing the people around the new mom can do is help with everything a person can't do while stuck on the couch feeding a newborn all day. That support will go miles beyond nursing gear. Grocery shopping, meal prep and cleanup or freezer meals, light housework, folding laundry, etc.

twowhat?
02-12-2017, 02:59 PM
I also found that I only ended up really using a few items:

Breastfeeding pillow
Lots of burp cloths. The softest nicest ones you can find!
Lanolin
Nursing pads (I preferred cloth because they tended to stick less)
Aden & Anais blankets, which I used for everything, including as a nursing cover
Nursing tanks - agree with others. Loved Target for the cheap ones and Bravado for the expensive ones. The Bravado ones are ESPECIALLY nice. I lived in them for a long time after weaning too.
For breast pumps, yes - insurance will cover. She may want a rental at first to figure out her pumping style. I ended up quitting pumping once I made the decision to quit work.

Feeding me was HUGE. My MIL would bring me food as I nursed. Hot food. Real meals, that I would eat (carefully) over the babies' heads as they nursed, or after they fell asleep nursing and I was stuck. I was SO HUNGRY I constantly worried about eating (I know some of that was nursing twins but I think any nursing mom is gonna be starving). It's great her DH is supportive. Bring them food! Stuff easy for him to prep for her while she's nursing.

Also, bring a few "luxury" items. Things like Aveda shampoo & conditioner, for her to turn her rare showers into true bliss :)

AnnieW625
02-12-2017, 03:08 PM
I loved the Johnson & Johnson brand nursing pads. I had tried the Lansinoh ones that everyone raved about but I preferred the J&J ones.

I loved cloth diapers or flour sack towels as burp rags.

A fellow BBB mom gave me a Babe Au Lait nursing cover that she had used for two kids and I loved it for DD2.

Breastfeeding stool

I used a Boppy pillow and it worked fine especially when my girls were super little.

I had a hand Avent pump to use on the go if I felt a little engorged when I was out and didn't have the baby or the baby wasn't hungry; I liked it because I could cap the bottle and put in the cooler bag easily.

ETA: I hated nursing tanks with a passion but then I have never liked tank tops with shelf bras. Wrap tops were my best friend. Also at home I would often just take off my tank top when nursing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
02-12-2017, 03:57 PM
I had a hand Avent pump to use on the go if I felt a little engorged when I was out and didn't have the baby or the baby wasn't hungry; I liked it because I could cap the bottle and put in the cooler bag easily.

I also had and really liked the Avent hand pump. I had a double electric pump from my insurance company that I used at work and most of the time at home, but the hand pump was so easy to have around just in case and had almost no setup required. And at first it was less intimidating than the electric one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lalasmama
02-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Soothies are amazing for the first few days. I like the nursing tops from the Gap. I'd probably skip the breast pump because health insurance gives one free.

It's not an actual breast pump :) It "suctions" onto the mom-nursing side to catch the letdown so that it's not being wasted. Doesn't increase supply, just catches what would end up in the breast pad while nursing the opposite side.

123LuckyMom
02-12-2017, 07:05 PM
You've gotten great suggestions. If she does have trouble, sometimes a nipple shield can be a huge lifesaver! I would add to the care package a batch of lactation cookies (there are a bunch of online recipes as well as packaged cookies) and maybe some fenugreek tincture. Fenugreek really does work!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

lizzywednesday
02-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Feeding me was HUGE. ...It's great her DH is supportive. Bring them food! Stuff easy for him to prep for her while she's nursing.

:yeahthat:

I would forget to eat during leave with DD - had to figure out best hold for nursing, how often DD was eating (didn't realize she was going thru normal growth spurt when we brought her home!), maintaining proper latch, etc., etc., etc. - and DH would get home and I would be STARVING with no ideas about food for dinner. Prepped snacks, premade meals, freezer packets, whatever - any of these would've made my leave 1000% easier!!

I'd also get more than one LARGE refillable water bottle. I used to have 3, which I would fill with filtered water first thing in the morning. I always had one stashed on my nightstand, end table, and in the kitchen. I was CONSTANTLY thirsty if I didn't have my bottles. Because I am a klutz, I like the CamelBak ones with the straws (style name is Eddy; they come in 12oz, 16oz, and 20 oz sizes), but I also had a pair of Rubbermaid ones (they were the largest capacity bottles, at 32 oz), and a random Target brand one (16 oz or 20 oz; I can't remember.)

As for the nursing pillow ... I found that, except at night when I nursed in bed, I did best in the corner of the sofa with regular throw pillows to help support DD. This was after several meetings with a lactation consultant who wasn't a fan of the Boppy.

gcc2k
02-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Lots of great advice. I would only add the Lansinoh Latch Assist Nipple Everter in case she has flat or inverted nipples. Especially helpful those first few days when you're so full of fluids from an IV. I would also use it to suck out a few drops of colostrum and poor into a sleepy one- or two-day-old's mouth.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
02-13-2017, 12:51 PM
I liked Traditional Medicinals breast feeding tea. I used it with DD2 and it worked quite well. I wish I would've known about it with DD1.