PDA

View Full Version : How help canker sore pain?

mackmama
02-12-2017, 11:01 AM
DC has a painful canker sore. It's on the inside cheek toward the back molar area. How can i lessen the discomfort for DC? DC is 6yo thanks. Is this age too young to rinse and spit with salt water?

(I can't actually see it -- there are some teeth in the way where DC points. DC is clear it's not tooth pain. . Fwiw DC was sick with a high fever a few days ago- likely flu, negative strep, healthy now.)

ETA: I like the idea of Orajel but hard to use it if I can't see the actual sore.

Corie
02-12-2017, 11:21 AM
I put Orajel on them. Completely numbs it.

SnuggleBuggles
02-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Another vote for Orajel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
02-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Yes, Orajel, try to avoid getting it on the tongue since it'll numb that real quick:) Temporary, but offers enough pain relief (20 min or so) to eat a meal. DD2 gets ulcers all the time when she gets a cold and this gets us through them!

eta: just saw your update that you can't see it so can't tell what's really going on...you may just need to take a flashlight and go digging back there. Use the q-tip to prod and ask where it hurts. It may not be an ulcer, maybe a sore spot of gum or whatever but either way, you can use Orajel. (Apply with q-tip in order to reach back there - you don't have to rub - just hold the q-tip with Orajel in place for a few seconds).

mackmama
02-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Off to buy some Orajel! Thanks all.

niccig
02-12-2017, 02:53 PM
I frequently get canker sores and my dentist prescribes a paste that helps it heal quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

BunnyBee
02-12-2017, 09:05 PM
You can swish Maalox and spit it out. That sort of coats them. There's a numbing mouth rinse by Colgate I think.

Switch to a toothpaste that doesn't have SLS to see if that's the cause.