PDA

View Full Version : Top Loader Washing Machine Rec's?

gymnbomb
02-12-2017, 12:15 PM
I'm in the market for a new washing machine at some point this year. I currently have a GE top load HE machine that I'm not happy with. I definitely prefer to stick with a top loader. I don't care if it is HE. I won't be replacing my dryer and I don't care if they don't match :)

I don't think this machine gets my clothes clean consistently. I've sometimes taken clothes out that had dry spots that had clearly never been touched by water. Every time I wash something dark that doesn't go in the dryer it ends up with white spots all over it -- like it didn't get rinsed well. I've tried several different liquid detergents, I've tried washing machine cleaner, I've turned off the auto-select water level and just set if on super, I've tried using soak, second rinse, etc. I'm fed up with it.

JBaxter
02-12-2017, 12:42 PM
My LG large capacity top loader is HE is going on 6 yrs no issues with 3 major moves. I generally use the quick wash setting but find the bulky bedding cycle I can use with my cotton bathroom rugs and it doesn't get off kilter. My mom, sister and SIL have the same washer ( with in a model year) I can do a king size bed spread with out issue

robinsmommy
02-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Speed Queen gets a lot of love on this board, for top loaders. You might search that and see what comes up.

ETA - one of many threads.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?478694&p=4012609#post4012609

jren
02-12-2017, 02:11 PM
I have an LG HE too loader with a glass lid. I can see what's happening during the wash and have noticed that it uses way more water than I expected. Our clothes are cleaner than with our older front loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
02-12-2017, 02:11 PM
I don't think speed queen comes in large capacity that was a must with me.

robinsmommy
02-12-2017, 02:33 PM
I don't think speed queen comes in large capacity that was a must with me.

It all depends on what you need, and probably, to a lesser degree, what size of bed you have - a king size bed does probably need a bigger machine. For us, I buy whatever works 90% of the time - figuring that we can deal with the 10% if it comes up (like renting a bigger car or going to a laundromat for commercial size machines). But we have a queen size bed. ;)

Part of me wishes that I hadn't got a Miele FL- we're 8 years in and no service calls, knock on wood. Aside from water use, I do really prefer a top loader myself - water is really the best cleaning agent. Maybe the technology will improve by the time I need another.

JBaxter
02-12-2017, 02:36 PM
LOL at the time I bought mine I had 4 boys at home w/ one in cloth diapers I still do larger loads with only 2 at home. I'm a top loader lover myself. Mine has load sensing so it only adds water to the size of the load for smaller loads.

JustMe
02-12-2017, 02:40 PM
If its big enough for you..any Speed Queen. I had to return a Maytag, which was ripping my clothes to shreds. Very happy now.

AnnieW625
02-12-2017, 03:16 PM
We have had our Speed Queen (Middle model) for three years and we are still happy with it. I have never had it go off balance and sometimes I think I am over filling it. We can easily fit a queen size quilt in it.

gymnbomb
02-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Hmm, I wish I knew if we were getting a king sized bed or not! Definitely considering it. But I would be ok with a machine that couldn't wash the comforter at home as long as it could wash the sheets and duvet cover (not at the same time, obviously!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
02-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Hmm, I wish I knew if we were getting a king sized bed or not! Definitely considering it. But I would be ok with a machine that couldn't wash the comforter at home as long as it could wash the sheets and duvet cover (not at the same time, obviously!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See if it wasn't a given I would be fine with occasionally going to the laundromat to wash and dry a king size comforter. I think I have washed the duvet cover and sheets in the same load.

jse107
02-13-2017, 02:04 PM
I have an LG top loader that I HATE. It doesn't get the clothes clean and I have dry spots. Plus, after 4 years, the bleach cup has rusted out.

belovedgandp
02-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Less than a year ago I had to replace my Samsung HE top loader - replaced it before the recall, so only 3 1/2 years with a cruddy machine.

Bought the old school speed queen and love it. We do have a king bed but I admit to rarely washing the comforter. The mattress pad has come out fine. The loads are smaller but take much less time per load than my HE machine. Still use the same dryer without a problem.

Only thing I miss from my other machine was delay washing.

belovedgandp
02-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Less than a year ago I had to replace my Samsung HE top loader - replaced it before the recall, so only 3 1/2 years with a cruddy machine.

Bought the old school speed queen and love it. We do have a king bed but I admit to rarely washing the comforter. The mattress pad has come out fine. The loads are smaller but take much less time per load than my HE machine. Still use the same dryer without a problem.

Only thing I miss from my other machine was delay washing.

robinsmommy
02-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Delay washing is useful, but I think it is a "must have" for a front loader where the average cycle is much longer. My regular cycle is more than an hour.