PDA

View Full Version : Haircut Question: Are "Long Layers" Passe?

lizzywednesday
02-13-2017, 10:47 AM
I haven't had my hair cut in almost 2 years.

I need my hair cut because I hate my hair "long." I also want my bangs back and cutting them myself has tended to end up rather messy.

It's currently a little longer than my shoulder blades, is no longer as thick/frizzy as it used to be, and does have a bit of a wave/curl, so it does need something more than a blunt cut. I don't want super-short (so chin-length and shorter is way out - I hate my hair when it's super-cropped and I'm really self-conscious about the extra weight I'm carrying at the moment), but am willing to go as short as collar-length if necessary to get to healthier hair.

My gut impulse is 3" to get rid of splits/dead ends and then long layers. I've been getting layers like this since about 1996. I'm still deciding if I want to color my hair (I was thinking about a warmer, kind of caramel shade of brown with honey-colored highlights, but the maintenance on that wouldn't be great without serious planning - my natural color is a medium-dark, very ashy, brown, so my roots would definitely show. I don't want to go with dark auburn or mahogany base color, despite the easier maintenance and closeness to my natural shade because I really hate maintaining red.)

I don't read or look at fashion magazines. I have a super-casual to sloppy dress style, but I do wonder if "long layers" are really '90s/early-aughts.

Is there anything else I ought to consider that will clean up my look but still be low-maintenance?

firstbaby
02-13-2017, 03:28 PM
I can't say if "long layers" are passe, but would you consider getting it shorter in the back with it angled towards the front? That could be fun!

lizzywednesday
02-13-2017, 08:15 PM
I can't say if "long layers" are passe, but would you consider getting it shorter in the back with it angled towards the front? That could be fun!

An angled bob? I've actually done that, and it looks great if I've got the right stylist, but it's not "low maintenance" for the hair I've got.

ETA: I should probably revise my original post to say I've had long layers "on-and-off since 1996" rather than saying I'm only doing one BORING style.

KpbS
02-14-2017, 01:24 AM
I still see people with long layers all the time. I wouldn't do anything angled with wavy hair because it seems like a pain to get it straightened.

JBaxter
02-14-2017, 06:52 AM
I have a great hair stylist and she gives me suggestions when I decide to change things. I generally take a few pictures along of what I'm thinking and she tells me if it will work or not I agree with KpbS straightening and blowing out curl every day for a style may bet old. Any color will take maintenance I tend to go lighter with my highlights in the spring/ summer then shade darker fall / winter

lizzywednesday
02-14-2017, 11:26 AM
I still see people with long layers all the time. I wouldn't do anything angled with wavy hair because it seems like a pain to get it straightened.

It is a pain to get it straightened, though if it's cut properly, I get a bit of curl, so it'd be OK to let air-dry now & then.

Generally, I'm a super-low-maintenance to absolutely lazy kind of person, so it's really hard to consider haircuts that I can't just pull back when I need to. I don't mind having a bit of dry shampoo on hand to extend a blowout another day, but having to blow out my hair every day so it doesn't look stupid isn't going to suit the way I live.

lizzywednesday
02-14-2017, 11:31 AM
I have a great hair stylist and she gives me suggestions when I decide to change things. I generally take a few pictures along of what I'm thinking and she tells me if it will work or not I agree with KpbS straightening and blowing out curl every day for a style may bet old. Any color will take maintenance I tend to go lighter with my highlights in the spring/ summer then shade darker fall / winter

Yeah, I have to change stylists for cost reasons.

The woman I was going to is a friggin' genius with my hair. I could give her a words-sketch and she just works and it always ended up great, but the salon costs too much.

I haven't colored my hair in about 10 years. DH has offered to pay for color, but I feel like it's the maintenance he'll balk at. (He also wants me to go back to red/auburn, but I don't want to. I'm too self-conscious about how I look to go that direction again. I'm more looking to warm up my natural color and give it some dimension, rather than sticking to the ashy-mousy brown I've got.)