PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a good basic fridge/freezer?

elbenn
02-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Our secondary fridge that's in our garage needs to be replaced. I want a decent, energy efficient fridge to replace it, but nothing fancy. No water hookups so water/ice isn't even necessary (although they all have it anyway). The current one has a pull out freezer on the bottom which I do like. Our kitchen one is side by side, so I would prefer a different configuration. Where to buy? Maybe scratch/dent? I know Craigslist is an option, but thinking with all the hassle of moving it (we don't have a truck), I'd rather just buy a new one.

Philly Mom
02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
So glad you asked. We need the same thing!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

LBW
02-13-2017, 12:55 PM
I bought a cheap, basic 2nd fridge last summer when we moved. It was from either Lowe's or Home Depot. I shopped on line, compared reviews, and picked one that seemed like it would be fine. I think it was ~$400.

robinsmommy
02-13-2017, 12:55 PM
I would try scratch and dent, esp if you have a locally-owned appliance store. And if you don't find what you like, maybe a salesman would be willing to let you know if something comes in?

And yep, I would get the different configuration - sometimes you need the extra width, for a cake, pizza box, or big turkey. I would skip the water/ice if you at all can - they eat space, are repair prone (though it sounds like you would never use it), and probably decrease energy efficiency -they make a big hole in the insulation of the fridge. Can you check numbers somewhere for energy use? There used to be a guide from the government online.

georgiegirl
02-13-2017, 12:59 PM
We got a cheap one from Home Depot last year. No ice maker. Top freezer, bottom fridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twowhat?
02-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Ours is from Sears Outlet, it cost $300ish and is the old fashioned top freezer model, no ice maker no frills. I love it because the single large main fridge compartment means I can fit stuff like a Costco cake:) Check your local appliance stores for scratch & dent too. Costco may also have a cheap option.

MMMommy
02-13-2017, 02:29 PM
I am not sure what is a good price for fridges right now, but I always try to buy anything I can from Costco! Great customer service and policies there.