PDA

View Full Version : Winter boots recommendation

heatherlynn
02-13-2017, 03:54 PM
I finally bit the bullet and bought some Sorel Joan of Arctic boots on Friday. I was in Vermont this weekend and only used them to stand in snow for a few hours each Saturday and Sunday, but I cannot believe how cold my toes were! I mean, they hurt, it was so bad. I'm trying to return them to EMS and either get a refund or store credit for something else. I'd heard such great things, but these boots obviously didn't work for me. I need something about that high, with good traction, waterproof, and fairly easy to walk in since I have bad knees. I should have just worn my Uggs since those are the only shoes that have ever kept my feet warm, but they're slippery and the snow/salt/rain really messes them up.

georgiegirl
02-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Were you wearing warm, thick socks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
02-13-2017, 04:21 PM
I have Sorel Caribou and am happy with them and I just wore some heavy poly blend workout crew socks from C9 (Target) (http://www.target.com/p/women-s-solid-crew-3-pack-purple-5-9-c9-champion/-/A-50827323?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Women+Shopping&adgroup=Athletic%20Socks_SC&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9031093&gclid=CjwKEAiAz4XFBRCW87vj6-28uFMSJAAHeGZbsmUKYG8G7TVFmOOix4Guw2k_T1Wzxt8uZnsW b7ll6BoC6C3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) with them and I am fine in them, but it was in the 20s-30s the time I wore them. DH swears by Cabelas wool socks so maybe try some wool socks.

I found the Joan of Artics to be uncomfortable (I didn't even wear them out of the house!) and am so happy I went with the shorter boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillview
02-13-2017, 06:45 PM
I like bogs. I get super cold toes regardless and stuff some hand warmers inside them. I get a case at Costco every year or two.

mmsmom
02-13-2017, 06:56 PM
IMO, wool socks are a must for keeping feet warm in any boot

pastrygirl
02-13-2017, 07:19 PM
I also love my Bogs.

MommyAllison
02-13-2017, 07:54 PM
I agree that wool socks need to be worn - I notice a big difference when I wear wool socks vs cotton socks in my Joan of Arctics. With wool socks my feet stay toasty warm even when I'm standing on a frozen lake watching pond hockey in 15 degree weather. Even with cotton socks though, they are way warmer than my fleece lined Sperry rain boots - the rubber just conducts the cold, so I don't think you will find rain boots to be warmer than Sorels.

One other thought - boots that are snug won't keep you warm - they are designed to have a little air circulation. Any chance that the size was a little off?

georgiegirl
02-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Thick wool socks are necessary for extended time outdoors in frigid weather. Also wanted to add that my Uggs are warmer than my Joan of Arctics. I can wear the Uggs barefoot and I'm fine. Probably because the Uggs are much more fitted and my feet are surrounded with sheepskin to keep them toasty warm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
02-13-2017, 08:19 PM
IMO, wool socks are a must for keeping feet warm in any boot

:yeahthat:

Twoboos
02-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Columbia Minx Mid Omni Heat are awesome! Lightweight, waterproof, comfy and cute! Got them on Amazon. I am in MA and my feet are toast in them. :) ETA: And smartwool socks, I wear them all winter. Get them for cheap at Sierra Trading Post.

MontrealMum
02-13-2017, 11:57 PM
The Joan of Arctic boot is only mid-range for warmth. The warmest Sorel (outside of snowmobiling boots) is the Caribou. But beware, they weigh a ton!

heatherlynn
02-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone! Regarding socks - I can't wear wool ones. I've tried a lot but my feet get red and irritated. Not sure why the Uggs don't bother me if I wear them without socks though. Those Columbia boots look promising. I''l check those out. I'm a little hesitant to go with Sorels again although you hear so many positive things about them. Thanks again!!

mytwosons
02-18-2017, 11:18 PM
Uggs has a leather waterproof boot! I love it and am in my second year with them.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ugg-brooks-tall-boot-women/2895367?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BROWN

robinsmommy
02-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Consider wearing a lightweight liner sock under wool ones. Pretty common in the hiking set, as it helps prevent blisters.