PDA

View Full Version : If you use essential oils..

KrisM
02-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Do you diffuse them continuously?
Do you diffuse them when other people or their kids are over?
Would you diffuse them in a classroom at school?

I went to a "teaching" session that turned out to be a MLM session for Young Living. I really knew very little, so was open to hearing. She ran Thieves while we were there - 5 adult guests, 2 pre-schoolers and a 6 month old. She says she uses 12-15 drops and ran it continuously. I left after 1.5 hours because I felt terrible - headache, ears hurting, throat burning etc.

I've since asked her questions about the use. She diffuses continuously in her house and says most people do. She said they are safe for all, so she wouldn't think twice having other kids over while running them. I compared it to giving a vitamin to a kid who isn't mine, just because I believe all kids should have vitamin D or something. She said, there are no concerns with the oils. She even runs them in her classroom (she's a sub, I think).

So, now I think I should be asking all the kids' friends if they are using them when my kids are there. And if the teachers are.

Am I being unreasonable? Would you want to know if oils are being diffused with your kids there (and you not there)?

klwa
02-14-2017, 08:44 AM
DD1's first grade teacher diffused oils or something similar in her classroom. I could never walk in there without walking out with a headache. DD1 didn't have a problem with it, but I always wondered if any of the other kids did.

mmsmom
02-14-2017, 09:31 AM
First, she is wrong that they are safe for all. There are some oils that should not be used by young children and pregnant women and certainly some people (like you) can be sensitive to certain ones.

I would not be okay with them being used in the classroom. I would worry about kids who are sensitive and about them being used correctly. So many people selling them, like your friend, have been taught incorrectly that they are all always safe so I wouldn't trust most to ensure they are used safely.

I think people can do what they want in their homes though and although you can ask if they use oils I would be prepared to not go or not let your kids go if they do.

PZMommy
02-14-2017, 10:52 AM
I would be livid if a teacher used them in my child's classroom. He has severe breathing issues, and can't be around that. I had a parent that put tons of oils on her child so it would cure her ADHD. It didn't help the child's behavior at all, but it did give me a splitting headache. I had to move the child's desk as far away from mine as possible. It was ridiculous!!

petesgirl
02-14-2017, 12:34 PM
I've recently noticed that my son's kindergarten teacher (it's a permanent substitute type situation - I could BP about that) is diffusing something. It has a mild scent and I'm sure it's some kind of Essential oil. I've been trying to decide if I should make a stink about it because I don't really want it around my son without knowing what it is and since I'm pregnant I try to stay as far from the diffuser as possible when I volunteer. It's good to hear that other parents would be concerned too, maybe I will ask her what it is at PT conferences, to start the conversation.

MSWR0319
02-14-2017, 12:55 PM
I volunteer at DS's school and I can tell which teachers diffuse by just walking by them. The order is so strong and not very pleasant. I think it's thieves, but am not sure. I would not be happy if they were being used in DS's room without letting the parents know. He has asthma and I worry that they would trigger something.

bisous
02-14-2017, 01:15 PM
It is funny to me that EO advocates think they have dramatic results, (so they're potent, right?) yet think nothing of putting them into the air for everyone. I don't think they can be both harmless and effective at the same time, KWIM? I don't think anyone in my family would be hurt by the oils and wouldn't say anything but we don't have problems with scent or breathing. I'd say something if you think there is an issue for you or your family.

SnuggleBuggles
02-14-2017, 01:16 PM
I think you need to talk to the principal (everyone who has a teacher using these). Our school doesn't allow scented cleaning products even bc they know people are sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlu
02-14-2017, 04:04 PM
DS would ask her to not do it in the classroom or home. But he's 12 and will speak up if something is bothering him.

I absolutely cannot do strong scents. We don't do any type of scentsy or candles etc at home. I didn't grow up with them as my dad is also extremely sensitive to strong scents. No perfume for me or my mom. DS notices but doesn't react (yet) with the headaches, sneezing, instant head congestion and watery eyes that I get.

MIL puts all that stuff away and even makes me special non-lavender rice socks to use at her house when we stay over. (She makes lavender products for gifts).

So many people don't realize how scents can affect others negatively I don't think they are being rude, just unaware.

should not be in the classroom. Can't control what people do in their houses. If the oils bother you/your kid, I would ask.

KrisM
02-14-2017, 05:46 PM
I emailed the secretary and asked if there is a policy. She called me and said that they absolutely should not be being used, but she didn't think they had ever really made that clear, so she was sending an email to the teachers to make sure they know they should not be diffusing without consent from all the parents and the principal.

i was looking at the Facebook page of the rep that did the learning party. She is local and is FB friends with a lot of the same teachers I am friends with. Many of them are posting they diffuse in their rooms. None are my kid's current teachers, but same school.

I'm glad there will be a policy!

AnnieW625
02-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Yay! Glad you were vigilant about it. I would've complained as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lalasmama
02-14-2017, 09:35 PM
I would want to know, because there are times essential oils aren't supposed to be used in some cases. Yes, they are rare times, but there are some instances. And I think some (NOT all) EO users exaggerate their benefits/abilities/uses. I had one EO person tell me that it would help all my vitamin deficiencies (without being aware of what vitamin deficiencies I had, or that I'm on weekly injections because of it).

That being said, we do use EO around our house. I have a "focus" blend from Rollerball, an upset tummy one from the same company, and a starter lavender/mint/lemon set from doTerra. On nights our home just seems cranky or on edge, I'll diffuse some lavender (with some coconut oil so it's not so potent). First time, I made a mistake and put like 10 drops of lavender without the coconut oil, and we all had headaches. But, once it was "cut" with some coconut oil, it was much better. And, yes, it relaxes us. Likewise, I use the "focus" blend when I'm having a hard time concentrating at work. And when I'm flying, I use a citrus one in my meditation (white-knuckle flier).

But, in each of these cases, they are done in our home, not affecting others. In the case of the one I use at work, it's in a little rollerball thing (like those old lip gloss rollerballs), so I'm inhaling the scent, and a lid goes right back on. It's not being sprayed anywhere, it's not being diffused. Just sniffed. Same with my citrus one on the plane. A sniff or two while starting my meditation, and then it's put away. Considering the last couple of flights I've had with stinkies, maybe I should leave that one without a lid on flights ;)

Glad to see that you contacted the school and that they are going to remind teachers of the policy and make it more clear.