PDA

View Full Version : Total Parenting fail today!

trales
02-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Took DD2 to the Pedi for her 3 year well child visit and . . . .
She has pneumonia and a double ear infection with a perforated ear drum.

She had no signs or symptoms at all, a dry cough for 3 days - that was improving, no fever, no other signs. The sitter and the daycare were shocked also. Not what I expected from a well child visit!

I felt about 1 inch tall at the visit when they told me.

2 weeks ago, I brought her in about 4 times for a 6 day fever of 103.5 and they kept telling me to wait it out, it would pass, this time was something that seemed benign and turned out to be serious. I can't win.

azzeps
02-17-2017, 08:47 PM
:( Awwww, it's ok. I'd feel bad too, but how could you have known?? Don't beat yourself up!

bigsis
02-17-2017, 08:59 PM
:hug: We've all been there. Don't beat yourself up; in the end your DD will be okay.

JBaxter
02-17-2017, 09:07 PM
don't feel bad whenI took Jack for a check at 6 months he had a double ear infection ready to rupture and he was playing ripping up the paper. No symptoms

bisous
02-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Not your fault! You obviously do your due diligence when your DD is in distress AND you take her for well checkups. Both of those things are extremely responsible! If she didn't have symptoms recently there is no way you could have known!

Kindra178
02-17-2017, 10:16 PM
That fever caused the pneumonia and ear. Both are secondary infections. Not that long ago doctors gave antibiotics to prevent secondary infections like your daughter had. Since doctors don't do that anymore, your dd got this. If it were 1995, she would have gotten antibiotics. The doctor should have warned you. Not your fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

abh5e8
02-17-2017, 11:00 PM
The OP said no fever... Just a dry cough for three days.

I would not take my kids in for that either. It's totally OK op!!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

PZMommy
02-17-2017, 11:12 PM
Not a bad mom!!! I posted something similar in the BP a few weeks ago. My DS had been diagnosed with an ear infection and had been on antibiotics. Took him back for a recheck a week later and he then had pneumonia, plus he had a double ear infection. This was after being on antibiotics for a week!! I felt so bad as he didn't appear to be that sick.

Kindra178
02-17-2017, 11:15 PM
The OP said no fever... Just a dry cough for three days.

I would not take my kids in for that either. It's totally OK op!!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Her first infection from the week before.

StantonHyde
02-17-2017, 11:50 PM
I can't tell you how many times DD had ear infections with absolutely no symptoms. We only knew when green pus oozed out of her tear ducts from her infected sinuses. oh gee, great!!! It does make you feel like crap. But if your kid looks fine, what can you say???

specialp
02-18-2017, 12:22 AM
BTDT. The only thing that made me feel a little bit better was that the doctor sat there chatting and catching up for 10 minutes before doing the well check so she could see he wasn't acting off at all. But when she pulled back from looking in the ear, cocked her head to the side with that super concerned look and asked me if he was sleeping ok or pulling on his ear.... I felt <<thissmall>>.

lizzywednesday
02-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Pneumonia is notoriously hard to diagnose, even in adults!

Give yourself a break, please!

Sending hugs.

trcy
02-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Aww, don't beat yourself up. I am sure most of us would have missed it.

trales
02-18-2017, 11:30 AM
It is always easier to look back, with my new knowledge, her cough, though less frequent, did get "wetter" as the week went on, but I focused on the fact it was getting less and less not the changing sound of it. The ear still baffles me, it had to hurt, but we got no signs out of her. Both the sitter and daycare said they had no idea either.

Thanks for letting me know, we all do this.

maestramommy
02-18-2017, 05:41 PM
:hug: It must've been from that last time you brought her in and they said it would be fine.