PDA

View Full Version : Teach me to pack light please. ;)

jgenie
02-18-2017, 06:59 PM
I was amazed by some of the travel threads that mentioned packing for extended trips but only taking carry on luggage. i always overpack and would love to lighten our load. We'll be visiting London for spring break and will have access to a washer / dryer. I always take two large suitcases for DC and I. I'm hoping to pack us in three carry on bags. I will need room for my camera in one of the bags. What should I pack? Also, planning a trip to Europe this summer. We'll be gone for 10 days. We won't have access to a washer / dryer. We'll be staying in three different hotels during our stay. My DC are 9 and 7. We'll each have backpacks for the plane. TIA

mmsmom
02-18-2017, 07:40 PM
I'll post more tips later but I love compression bags. Large ziplock like bags I got at TJMaxx. I do one large one for each person & roll them/ lay on them to compress. Using a vacuum gets more air out but only use if you will have access to vacuum on return trip.

mikala
02-18-2017, 07:48 PM
I've taken just a carryon before and it mostly involves advance planning. I pick a base neutral like navy or black and try to make sure most pieces can be mixed and matched, only bring one purse. I usually bring a Ponte or jersey material black or navy dress that can go from casual during the day to dressier in the evening. I also try to limit my shoes and wear the bulkiest ones for the flight. It's definitely easier to pack in a carryon for warmer weather vs cold weather since winter clothes and shoes are so much bulkier. I personally would have a hard time sticking to a carryon without laundry for more than a week.

If you're visiting churches while touring keep in mind when you'll need to keep your shoulders covered for modesty.

Pack travel sized toiletries since you are limited to 3oz anyway for carryons.

You can get a lot of ideas by googling travel capsule wardrobe or Europe carryon capsule.

twowhat?
02-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Having access to a W&D is huge! You can just pack a 2-3 days' worth of clothes with a couple extra mix/match pieces and call it good! The trick to clothes is to pack quick-dry synthetics for your base layer, and then a cardi or sweater or light jacket for layering on top. For me, I love to pack Hue leggings with polyester shirtdresses. I have a couple of pairs of different color leggings, and 2 good BR shirtdresses that I love. Perfectly appropriate for work, light, take up very little space, easy outfit. For the kids, I love packing the quick dry athletic stuff (like the Champion C9 stuff from Target). Easy and comfy, lightweight, and wash/hang dry. I also pack a couple of nicer outfits for them, and a cardigan/hoodie for layering. I've done one week in Europe with my carry on and backpack for work...it was tight (because remember that international carry-on size limits are a bit smaller than US!!) but I made it happen:) Vacation I think would be easier because you can re-wear stuff more often than you could for work where you're seeing the same colleagues every day.

The other trick is to carry good sized backpacks. My kids carry their PBK Large backpacks and they can fit an extra change of clothes, ipad, book, blanket, snacks, earbuds and still have room for toys (they always end up packing 2-3 small stuffies, it drives me mad!). Put your camera in your backpack if you can, in case you're forced to check a carry-on.

And the final trick is to figure out if you can get away with 1 pair of shoes, 2 at most. Shoes take up an annoying amount of space. For the kids I always have them wear sneakers and we pack flip flops (Crocs). For me, I wear my heaviest/bulkiest shoes, and pack a pair of ballet flats or sandals, depending on destination.

If you think your DC can each manage rolling a full sized carry on bag, you will have plenty of room. Kids clothes don't take much space...you might even be able to get away with 2 carry ons and 3 backpacks for the spring break trip.

For the 10-day trip, I don't know that you can avoid checking a bag, without access to a W/D, unless you're willing to hand wash some clothes? (again - the quick dry stuff!).

cookiemonster198
02-18-2017, 07:56 PM
Do you have packing cubes?? If not, time to invest

ourbabygirl
02-18-2017, 10:34 PM
No advice on packing light (I think PPs' ideas are great), but when I pack myself and the kids, I roll our clothes to try to conserve space, and I stuff socks and undies into our shoes in the suitcase. And yeah, if you can bring clothes that are easy to wash and hang dry (nylon-like material like swimsuits are made of), that will be helpful.
So excited for you! Have a wonderful couple of trips! :).

hwin708
02-18-2017, 11:54 PM
I honestly find it easy. And I definitely never do compression bags, because I couldn't keep up with that while repacking on the road.

The biggest key, as people have mentioned, is the shoes. They are luggage killers. A big pair of shoes can eat up a quarter of your bag. That's insane. Wear your bulkiest pair of shoes, and pack a small pair of shoes. If I'll be going to formal places, then I am forced to bring a third pair of shoes, i.e. heel. But then I make sure that the other pair of packed shoes is such a thin pair of flats that I could literally squeeze them into the sides of my fully packed suitcase.

Toiletries have to be 3oz, of course, but people still way overdo it with those too. You don't need to bring every "what if this happens" toiletry. You're not going on a safari. You can always run to a drugstore in Europe. Bring the essentials, boil that makeup bag down tight. I can fit my toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, face wash, razor handle, gelled razor head, small brush, foundation, concealer, blush, two eyeshadows, mascara, loose powder, two makeup brushes, night cream, facial moisturizer, tweezers, and a small bag with my medications - easily into a standard men's size toiletry bag. (That's not what I use for a toiletry bag, as prefer one that opens fully across the top, but the point is - small size). I always buy sunscreen at my destination, because I need a lot, I sometimes buy aerosol which you can't pack, and European sunscreens are better anyway.

Roll your cloths. It prevents wrinkles and gives you more space.

I am actually not a huge fan of packing cubes. They work well when you are organizing multiple people into a single suitcase, or when you have a full size suitcase. But with a carry-on, you can barely fit the medium size packing cubes. I use a hard-side carry-on that splits down the middle. So the long skinny packing cubes fit 3 per side. But not really on the side I put my shoes, toiletry bag, etc. So I can only use them on the side that is all clothes. And I don't really need my clothes divided up 3 ways. How does that help?? The smalls are too small for a long trip's worth of, say, shirts, and while a good size for a long trip's worth of underwear and bras - I am better off just squeezing those into the air gaps throughout the shoe side of the bag. They do provide a bit of extra compression, but I feel like the way they limit you in your use of space is not worth the trade-off.

I typically devote one side of my bag to clothes. Half a good-size carry-on (not the mini carry-ons) is plenty if you roll your clothes. Winter is the hardest, because pants are thicker and take up more room. But for 10 days? Please. Pack 3 pairs of pants, wear a 4th pair on the plane, pack 10 shirts, wear your coat on the plane. 3 pairs of pants and ten shirts, rolled, EASILY fit in a bag. Then you have underwear, a pair of pajamas (your thinnest pair, and thanks to laundry you can even wash these during the trip), a few pairs of socks if your shoes require it, and a swimsuit if your hotel has a pool. Plus a few nicer tops or a couple dresses with tights if there are dinner plans. Summer? The easiest of all. Clothes are thinner and shorter. Less fabric, and no coats to pack, just maybe a sweater to wear on the plane. The key here is to just plan your outfits. Don't throw all your favorite summer clothes into the bag, willy nilly. You are there 10 days, pack for what you will actually wear for those 10 days. No more, no less. If you end up not being able to wear something, you can always re-wear one of the others. Outside of pants and pajamas, I honestly never have to pack with the plan that I will be re-wearing things. I am just saying, don't pack to give yourself a thousand options along the way. You don't need a thousand options, and honestly the options are annoying once you are there.

Once all my regular clothes are rolled, I stuff smaller things like my underwear, thin pajamas, gym bra and pants (only for solo work trips, if I am sight-seeing, all that walking is exercise enough. I stopped packing for the "maybe I will make it one time" gym fantasy ages ago) into open gaps or they get shoved into open gaps on the shoe/toiletry side of the suitcase. And I lay any nicer clothing on top of the rolled clothes, then snap the garment straps together, which compresses it a little and holds it all in place.

The other side, which is typically a zippered compartment on hard-sided bags, I use for my shoes, toiletries, and miscellaneous, which there isn't a lot of. Mainly just spillover if I need nicer stuff or more gym stuff, and my hair towel (I always use a microfiber hair towel, it cuts down my drying time). I always stay at places with hair dryers so I don't travel with one.

The "personal item", in your case a backpack - I keep this trim too. I usually use a smaller crossbody purse as my "wallet" in my bigger bag. That purse will be what I use at the actual destination. The purse has my passport and a smallish money/credit card wallet. Some US currency, but not a lot. Especially Europe - you should have no problem using credit cards most places and withdrawing Euros with your debit/ATM card. The purse also holds a small toiletry bag with lip balm, hand lotion, eye drops, kleenex. And my phone. The rest of the big bag holds my iPad (or laptop if needed, never both) and maybe kindle, if it's the beach and I can't make do with just the ipad. Plus a small bag or other holder with the chargers, cords, outlet adapters, car chargers, etc. And any paper travel documents I can't just access on my phone. Finally, a sweater for the plane (if I'm not already wearing it), compression socks (cold feet that swell), and eye mask, and if flying economy, an INFLATABLE neck pillow. That's pretty much it. I want to leave room in this bag if I will be shopping at my destination.

My carry-on bag also has a zipper expander, so if I shop more than expected, I can always just expand the luggage and just check that one bag on the way back.

Honestly, it's really not difficult. The biggest key is just to plan a little bit about what you are wearing and doing, instead of just tossing a bunch of stuff into your suitcase that will never be touched.

hillview
02-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Hwin nailed it. First time suggest you make a list and review the list and then get it all out on your bed. Review what's on your bed. Purge what isn't needed. Then pack. If you pack in bits and pieces you can end up adding just one more. Do same with DC. Wear the bulkiest shoes or if you want boots on the plane.

Id pack
3 pair pants +wear one on plane (or 4 and a skirt)
5 tops +wear one on plane
coat on plane
10 pair unders
1 bra +one on plane
4 pairs of wool socks (they don't stink and re wear very well)
one sweater for plane
pair of sneakers
pair of ballet flats
a scarf or two to break outfits up
pjs
one ziploc bag with deodorant, travel size toothpaste, face cream, tube of shower gel (I use for face too hate hotel soap), eyeliner

for the kids I'd pack light weight tops - sports type tops if they wear them as they are easily washed if stained and dry out the next day

squimp
02-19-2017, 01:54 PM
I spent 2 weeks in Australia with a carry on. I was flying United and they often lose my luggage. Just be really systematic about outfit planning - I knew which outfit to wear each day. I planned to wear pants multiple days and at the end I just had to wash one pair of jeans before flying back home to have clean clothes on the airplane. I packed all my shirts in one packing cube and all underwear in another. I agree that shoes are the killer, and it is easier to travel for summer. I usually bring Havaianas flip flops since they are super comfy and small. I also love Patagonia nano puff vests and jackets because they pack really light and small.

jgenie
03-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Coming back to say a HUGE thank you to everyone for all the great packing tips!! I am amazed but I was able to pack us in three carry on bags! I probably could have squeezed us into two bags but I knew we would need room for purchases on the return trip. I ended up with a few extra sweaters and a pair of sneakers that I didn't wear so I'll try to pare it down even more when he go to Europe this summer. I rolled all of our clothes and took the bare minimum of toiletries. Thank you!!!

StantonHyde
03-28-2017, 07:30 PM
How do you roll the clothes? e.g. roll each pair of pants separately? or roll all shirts together?

jgenie
03-28-2017, 07:39 PM
I rolled each item separately then stacked them on top of each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

hillview
03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
I roll each item separately and smooch them in