PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop thinking about this tee shirt

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-18-2017, 08:51 PM
I was in the grocery store the other day and the man in front of me was wearing a tee shirt that had a drawing of Christ on the cross. Around the drawing were the words "Men who wear sandals get what they deserve". Literally made my heart ache. I wanted to say something so badly, not sure what. Not sure what I am looking for by posting this here either, just odd that a tee shirt on a stranger could make me so incredibly sad.

georgiegirl
02-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Wow, he's very bold to wear that shirt out in public! I'm an atheist, so the message itself doesn't bother me personally, but I'm shocked that someone would wear something so offensive to so many people.

khm
02-18-2017, 09:54 PM
I was in the grocery store the other day and the man in front of me was wearing a tee shirt that had a drawing of Christ on the cross. Around the drawing were the words "Men who wear sandals get what they deserve". Literally made my heart ache. I wanted to say something so badly, not sure what. Not sure what I am looking for by posting this here either, just odd that a tee shirt on a stranger could make me so incredibly sad.

Wow, just wow. I'm very glad you didn't say anything. Dude probably WANTS that and would have a slew of icky responses at the ready.

I hope you find a way to let it go, don't let someone like that get to you! Do something positive as an opposite reaction to this and mentally move it out of your mind.

KpbS
02-18-2017, 11:14 PM
That is truly bizarre. I'm sorry. :hug:

boogiemom
02-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Wow, just wow. I'm very glad you didn't say anything. Dude probably WANTS that and would have a slew of icky responses at the ready.

I hope you find a way to let it go, don't let someone like that get to you! Do something positive as an opposite reaction to this and mentally move it out of your mind.

Agreed. Anyone who would wear something so disrespectful and downright disgusting is clearly unbalanced. I would be disturbed as well. Try to let it go. Maybe write down your feelings about it and throw the paper away or burn it so you have a chance to express your feelings and let them go. I love the idea to do something positive. A random act of kindness to spread love and counteract the hate. Sorry you had to see that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
02-18-2017, 11:36 PM

I agree. The type of person who'd wear that would love a confrontation.

123LuckyMom
02-18-2017, 11:50 PM
I didn't get to see the shirt or the person wearing it, but when I read your description, my first thought was that it was satire and a commentary on judgements about lifestyle and appearances. Obviously Jesus was not crucified because of wearing sandals but due to the fear of the establishment and Jesus' revolutionary overturning of the status quo-- and of course, he did not deserve his crucifixion. Neither is the criticism leveled against, for example, men who wear sandals, really about what they are wearing but about the ways in which their choices or very existence cause others to feel their status quo is being threatened. And the man who wears sandals doesn't deserve the venom leveled against him either. That would have been my interpretation of the t-shirt's message. Even so, it's a pretty shocking picture and slogan to wear on a tee shirt where there is little opportunity to discuss the message.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khm
02-19-2017, 12:12 AM
I googled the phrase and it's just a trashy tee shirt company - tshirthell.com - lots of tacky, "shocking" stuff. looks like nsfwtshirts.com leads back to tshirthell.com, they call themselves "the largest offensive t-shirt company online".

www.nsfwtshirts.com/shop/men-who-wear-sandals-get-what-they-deserve/

bisous
02-19-2017, 12:25 AM
I didn't get to see the shirt or the person wearing it, but when I read your description, my first thought was that it was satire and a commentary on judgements about lifestyle and appearances. Obviously Jesus was not crucified because of wearing sandals but due to the fear of the establishment and Jesus' revolutionary overturning of the status quo-- and of course, he did not deserve his crucifixion. Neither is the criticism leveled against, for example, men who wear sandals, really about what they are wearing but about the ways in which their choices or very existence cause others to feel their status quo is being threatened. And the man who wears sandals doesn't deserve the venom leveled against him either. That would have been my interpretation of the t-shirt's message. Even so, it's a pretty shocking picture and slogan to wear on a tee shirt where there is little opportunity to discuss the message.

Yeah. Even though khm has found the shirt and it is meant to be offensive, it is just not all that effective because what does that even mean? Here in Southern California we all wear sandals all the time (except this Winter) so yeah.

It does really bother me that people wear these types of things. But as many mentioned that's the point. Free speech can be really annoying and shockingly offensive but I'm ultimately glad for it. I had a FB friend I had to hide because she posted a lot of posts belittling Jesus.

mommy111
02-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Makes my blood boil! How very tacky, to deliberately try to offend/bait people over Jesus

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts! Interesting to read your "take" on the tee shirt.

Kindra178
02-19-2017, 06:54 PM
That shirt just sucks, as does the wearer. I don't understand what point he's trying to make, but he sure isn't making it well. And makes him look like a total d-bag. Religious or not, stupid shirt on a stupid guy.

ahisma
02-20-2017, 12:28 AM
My DD once walked up to a man with a very offensive shirt and asked him why his mom let him wear something so mean. She was young and it was in the deli line while I was ordering - caught me off guard. It was perfect though.

ETA: I am not a religious person at all, but I am horrified by the shirt. I don't see the humor and don't understand the value in attacking anyone's beliefs.