PDA

View Full Version : Cub Scout Cake Competition Awards

Mermanaid
02-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Hey ladies ... our cub scout blue and gold banquet is this weekend and I'm in charge of the cake competition awards. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, right?!

What has your pack given out for awards? I have a few ribbons and can purchase more but would love to hear any creative ideas you've used. I need to order anything ASAP since it needs to be here by Friday.

Thanks!

TwinFoxes
02-20-2017, 01:23 PM
I would do paper plate awards. Look on pinterest for ideas.

ciw
02-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Hey ladies ... our cub scout blue and gold banquet is this weekend and I'm in charge of the cake competition awards. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, right?!

What has your pack given out for awards? I have a few ribbons and can purchase more but would love to hear any creative ideas you've used. I need to order anything ASAP since it needs to be here by Friday.

Thanks!

I am a big fan of simple, printed awards. Hop on Microsoft Word or Google docs -- there are tons of templates. The problem with ribbons, trophies, paper plates, medals, etc. is that kids want to hold onto them forever (and I'm ready to toss them the minute we get home). DS has an entire shoe box of metals and he couldn't even tell you why or when he won half of them. A paper award can easily slip into a photo book or scrapbook, so the child gets to keep it and the parent doesn't have to clean around it. :) If you want to make it feel more "special", place the sheet into a large envelope (don't fold) and place a handful of star confetti in the envelope.

https://www.dollartree.com/Metallic-Star-Shaped-Confetti-1-oz-Bags/p370860/index.pro

BunnyBee
02-20-2017, 02:54 PM
For a similar Girl Scout competition, we used spatulas. The Dollar Tree has some that are pretty decent, especially for a buck. https://www.dollartree.com/Betty-Crocker-Red-Silicone-Spatulas-9-190-/p310117/index.pro

MamaSnoo
02-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Our swim team did paper plate awards for end of season celebration. They were great!

I also think the spatula idea is cute since it is a food related competition. You could tie a small cardstock award certificate to the spatula for them to put in a memory book if they want to, and then they could use the spatula!

ciw
02-20-2017, 08:36 PM
You could tie a small cardstock award certificate to the spatula for them to put in a memory book if they want to, and then they could use the spatula!

I like this idea - fun and useful!

Mermanaid
02-20-2017, 10:15 PM
Thank you for all the ideas! Will definitely pick one to implement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pharmjenn
02-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Cake competition? We don't have this one. Blue and Gold dinner is our Arrow of Light ceremony and FOS push for donations. We do a cake walk in the fall but there are no prizes awarded for that.

Mermanaid
02-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Cake competition? We don't have this one. Blue and Gold dinner is our Arrow of Light ceremony and FOS push for donations. We do a cake walk in the fall but there are no prizes awarded for that.

B&G is our arrow of light/crossover ceremony for W2s, as well. For all other ranks crossover is in late May.

We do the cake competition at B&G to engage all our levels in the event vs just focusing on W2s. Each year a theme is picked and the boy and adult partner make something that embodies that theme.

There are awards given out for overall boys choice. Best cake by rank, etc. We cut the cakes and serve them as dessert as part of the banquet. Win win because it saves us money and the boy/adult get to engage in creating something fun.

This year's theme is "games" and I can't wait to see the creative cakes we get.

rlu
02-21-2017, 02:06 PM
In our pack we had an overall decoration contest (table covering, plates, cups, etc., and cake) by den for Blue and Gold (which is also FOS push). The winning den got a $50 gc to the grocery store to buy their own ice cream party to be held later.

Pinewood derby in Jan, Blue and Gold in Feb, bridging in March - busy first quarter. Rank advancement was in May/June. In our troop we welcome bridging scouts from March to May, depends on the pack.