PDA

View Full Version : Who should play Ariel in the live action Little Mermaid?

TwinFoxes
02-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Lindsay Lohan is angling to play Ariel. Other than being a redhead, I think she's completely wrong for the part (I'm trying to be nice.)

Apparently Chloe Grace Moretz was cast, but dropped out. I think if Millie Bobbie Brown from "Stranger Things" was about 5 years older, she'd be a good choice. Dove Cameron maybe? She was in The Descendants, so she's already known to Disney. What are your casting thoughts?

I think Emma Watson is a perfect choice for Belle, btw, and I can't wait to see the live action "Beauty and the Beast".

sariana
02-21-2017, 11:27 AM
I could see Dove Cameron doing it. She's had a show on Disney for 4 seasons, plus another Disney Channel movie in addition to Descendants (Cloud 9).

That little girl from "Dog with a Blog" would be perfect for Merida if they ever did Brave.

AnnieW625
02-21-2017, 12:43 PM
How old do they want Ariel to be? I could see Debby Ryan (Jessie) from Jessie or Laura Marano (Aly) from Austin & Aly. Both actresses can sing and Marano sings on A&A. I would think Lindsay Lohan would be on the older side, but if she can keep her life on track then maybe she won't be so bad, but yeah not my first choice.

I agree that Emma Watson is perfect for Belle; I just wish we got to see more of Dan Stevens w/o his Beast makeup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
02-21-2017, 12:52 PM
No idea for Ariel but agree that Lindsay Lohan would not be a good choice. I feel badly for her. I wish I was as nice as Annie! I think getting the right person is so important. I think Ariel should be quite young. I think she's supposed to be 16. I'm not very up on the younger actresses these days. I guess I'm feeling my age!

As for Belle? On paper I think Emma Watson is absolutely perfect for the role. I love Emma Watson, both what she has done in the movies and what little I know about her IRL. BUT the Beauty and the Beast trailers look absolutely terrible to me. She looks very moody and I don't see a lot of emotion on her face. I think my DH is poisoning me against that movie. He thinks her acting looks bad but he mostly objects to the use of CG.

Corie
02-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Is Little Mermaid the next live action to be made? For some reason, I thought Mulan was next.

Lindsay Lohan would be horrible as Ariel.

What about Britt Robertson for Ariel?

georgiegirl
02-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Lindsay Lohan has too much baggage to play Ariel. She's too old and a poor role model. Emma Stone? She's also a big old, but she has the right coloring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
02-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Is Little Mermaid the next live action to be made? For some reason, I thought Mulan was next.

Lindsay Lohan would be horrible as Ariel.

What about Britt Robertson for Ariel?

I don't know which one is next. This weekend, Lindsay Lohan posted on Instagram a photo of her in an Ariel pose basically offering her services. That's what got me thinking. I have to say my first reaction was "how old does she think Ariel was????" I don't think I could listen to her singing about her father reprimanding her with a straight face. I think if you're in your 30s you're disqualified as Ariel. :)

I had to google Britt Robertson. She's got the right look I think.

Corie
02-21-2017, 06:01 PM
I don't know which one is next. This weekend, Lindsay Lohan posted on Instagram a photo of her in an Ariel pose basically offering her services. That's what got me thinking. I have to say my first reaction was "how old does she think Ariel was????" I don't think I could listen to her singing about her father reprimanding her with a straight face. I think if you're in your 30s you're disqualified as Ariel. :)

I had to google Britt Robertson. She's got the right look I think.

I don't think Ariel should be played by a has-been actress who has past and/or present (?) drug & alcohol problems.

Corie
02-21-2017, 06:15 PM
I googled "actresses with red hair" and my search pulled up a bunch of images. I found a girl who could totally be Ariel. Unfortunately, her picture led me back to a website
about dying your hair. I have absolutely no idea who she is.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/jellybellysmama/392c4ae33b76eb9902cb42b73cc52f8a_zps9gl7sqpo.jpg (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/jellybellysmama/media/392c4ae33b76eb9902cb42b73cc52f8a_zps9gl7sqpo.jpg.h tml)

bisous
02-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Or we could go a totally different direction and have Rihanna be Ariel. I don't know how old she really is but I think the age thing could work, she looks awesome with red hair and she can sing. I don't know about acting though--I've never seen anything she's been in! She'd rock the seashells though.

lizzywednesday
02-21-2017, 07:19 PM

Both are in development; they just announced a director for Mulan the other day, but for whatever reason, I thought they were closer to starting on Little Mermaid than they were on Mulan.

sariana
02-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Bella Thorne is a red-headed former Disney star and singer who might have been perfect if she hadn't decided to start posing with her clothes off.

I might have mentioned Sabrina Carpenter, but I think her vocal style is wrong.

Since someone mentioned Rihanna (um, no--she's like 50), what about Zendaya?

lizzywednesday
02-21-2017, 07:21 PM
...Emma Stone? She's also a big old, but she has the right coloring.

Emma Stone is pleasant, but I'd rather Sierra Boggess if we're going with a preference "older" actresses. (She's already played Ariel before, though - she created the role on Broadway.)

lizzywednesday
02-21-2017, 07:23 PM

Apparently Chloe Grace Moretz was cast, but dropped out. I think if Millie Bobbie Brown from "Stranger Things" was about 5 years older, she'd be a good choice. Dove Cameron maybe? She was in The Descendants, so she's already known to Disney. What are your casting thoughts?

Millie Bobbie Brown would be excellent; she's only about 12, though, so she'd have to grow up a bit first. How close are they to production?

Dove Cameron is an OK option, also a Disney known-quantity for sure. She "just" did Hairspray LIVE!, too.

Gracemom
02-21-2017, 07:42 PM
I think Karen Gillan from Doctor Who could work.

123LuckyMom
02-21-2017, 08:38 PM
I googled "actresses with red hair" and my search pulled up a bunch of images. I found a girl who could totally be Ariel. Unfortunately, her picture led me back to a website
about dying your hair. I have absolutely no idea who she is.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/jellybellysmama/392c4ae33b76eb9902cb42b73cc52f8a_zps9gl7sqpo.jpg (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/jellybellysmama/media/392c4ae33b76eb9902cb42b73cc52f8a_zps9gl7sqpo.jpg.h tml)

This picture looks like a young Emma Stone to me. If she were younger, I'd definitely choose her, but I think the actress needs to be believable as a teen.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Indianamom2
02-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Amy Adams would be great, but she may be too old.

Corie
02-21-2017, 08:58 PM
This picture looks like a young Emma Stone to me. If she were younger, I'd definitely choose her, but I think the actress needs to be believable as a teen.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Really? I don't think she looks anything like Emma Stone.

I thought of another actress. What about the girl who played the lead in the Jem & the Holograms movie? I think she's also in Nashville.

bisous
02-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Amy Adams would be great, but she may be too old.

I think she's too old but she would be awesome. She's already kind of a Disney princess with her turn as Giselle. :)

TwinFoxes
02-22-2017, 04:57 AM

Zendaya would be a good choice if they went with non-traditional casting which I don't see happening, but who knows! I think Rhianna, like LL, could not believably sing about wanting to grow up and her dad reprimanding her. Plus, she does not have the pipes. She's a good pop star, she's not a good singer. She does have the look, especially those eyes and she's kind of other-worldly looking with her way high cheekbones.

jenmcadams
02-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Emma Stone is pleasant, but I'd rather Sierra Boggess if we're going with a preference "older" actresses. (She's already played Ariel before, though - she created the role on Broadway.)

Sierra Boggess is amazing and who I first thought of. My daughter got to sing with her a few times over the past few years and I love her.

bisous
02-22-2017, 12:58 PM

I had to look it up after this. She's 29 this year. Still too old though hardly 50, lol, and I agree with Twinfoxes, the attitude wouldn't be quite right.

AnnieW625
02-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Zendaya is an awful actress imho and KC Undercover is by far my least favorite Disney Channel show my kids have watched over the years. She is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I liked Rihanna in Home, but she doesn't fit the Disney wholesome image.

MMMommy
02-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Amy Adams is 42, so too old, despite her talent and beauty.

Lindsay Lohan--don't even get me started. :shake: It's really a shame how Lindsay Lohan just spiraled downward. I love the remake of The Parent Trap with her and Dennis Quaid and thought she was fantastic in it. Bad life choices really ruined her career, and I don't think her career will ever recover from them.

For some reason, Bella Thorne looks much older than her real age to me. She's only 19, but she looks 30 to me!

I'm wondering if casting would go the route of a fresh faced unknown.

sariana
02-22-2017, 04:19 PM
I had to look it up after this. She's 29 this year. Still too old though hardly 50, lol, and I agree with Twinfoxes, the attitude wouldn't be quite right.

Sorry, I was intentionally exaggerating. I should have used a more obviously joking number, like 90. I just meant she was too old.

The original animated Ariel was based on Alyssa Milano. Kind of a fun fact. Not even a redhead.

AnnieW625
02-22-2017, 04:41 PM
I had to Google Bella Thorne to find out who she was and yes she looks way older than 19 imho just based on the google images. Those images also showed she made some questionable fashion choices that would have Joan Rivers in a fit. I am all for kids being kids but some of them were pretty bad and you can tell weren't photo shopped.

TwinFoxes
02-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Zendaya is an awful actress imho and KC Undercover is by far my least favorite Disney Channel show my kids have watched over the years. She is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I liked Rihanna in Home, but she doesn't fit the Disney wholesome image.

I have to confess I've never seen her act, only heard her sing.

citymama
02-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Emma Stone?

Ms B
02-22-2017, 09:58 PM
Emily Skeggs. She played Medium Allison in Fun Home and got Tony nominated for it. She's 27, but looks really young and can sing like nobody's business.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
02-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Emma Stone?

I really think she's too old. Ariel is a teen.

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Most everyone listed is too old. Give it to some newbie.

TwinFoxes
02-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Most everyone listed is too old. Give it to some newbie.

I assume they'll make her at least 18...you know since Prince Eric appears to be well into his 20s!

Philly Mom
02-23-2017, 01:43 PM
I assume they'll make her at least 18...you know since Prince Eric appears to be well into his 20s!

I was thinking the same thing. I actually wouldn't mind her being at least 21.

bisous
02-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Plus we're super accustomed to seeing mid 20yos playing high schoolers. I think Rachel McAdams was 25 playing Regina George and I totally bought it.

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2017, 03:44 PM
I guess Emma Stone is younger than I thought (28) but I see no reason to limit the search to familiar actresses. Anyone can dye their hair red. :)

lizzywednesday
02-23-2017, 03:48 PM
...Anyone can dye their hair red. :)

:yeahthat:

And, who knows? They may go a different direction depending on the script, so the hair may be moot.

That said, I'd still love to see Sierra Boggess in it - even if she's not Ariel herself, maybe she could be one of the older sisters?

Tenasparkl
02-23-2017, 04:31 PM
I think Rowan Blanchard (the lead on Girl Meets World) would be great. Her hair isn't red, but she's got the youthful goofiness that seems perfect for Ariel.

sariana
02-23-2017, 05:58 PM
I think Rowan Blanchard (the lead on Girl Meets World) would be great. Her hair isn't red, but she's got the youthful goofiness that seems perfect for Ariel.

I love Rowan, but I think she's an alto or contralto. I'm not sure she could pull off the singing. I could totally be wrong though--I'm just going off the vocals from "Girl Meets World."

bisous
02-23-2017, 07:29 PM
I love Rowan, but I think she's an alto or contralto. I'm not sure she could pull off the singing. I could totally be wrong though--I'm just going off the vocals from "Girl Meets World."

Are they planning on having the same music? The Cinderella movie had a lot less singing.

MMMommy
02-23-2017, 09:22 PM
I agree with PPs that any actress can dye their hair red for the role. I don't think casting directors would care about what color hair the actress has when they cast the role. Any actress will have to dye their hair to get the "right" Ariel shade regardless.

kara97210
02-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Ariel is a teen.

She's 16. I remember thinking, when I first saw the movie as a kid, that it was creepy that she gets married in the last scene after singing about being a teenager. I'm hoping they'll make her a little older (hopefully at least 18!) in the updated version.

lizzywednesday
02-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Are they planning on having the same music? ...

IIRC, I read that both Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda are on staff, either directly involved with the production or producers, so I want to say that music will be involved, but I don't want to speculate about music being a large part of the production.

As for whether an alto could sing Ariel's parts, they're not that high (http://www.mtishows.com/full-cast-info/1449); I'm solidly a contralto and I can manage it fairly easily. There are only a few bits where I struggle in the upper registers, and that's easy enough to remedy with proper support.

Ms B
02-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Ok, I thought about it some more. My vote now goes to Taylor Richardson, who was the last Annie in the last production of that show on Broadway. She is 15 now and should be the perfect age by the time filming starts. And if she can sing Annie, then she has the pipes for Ariel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
02-26-2017, 03:30 PM
... And if she can sing Annie, then she has the pipes for Ariel.

Girls who play Annie tend to belt; I find that really painful - you know, when you can't hit the note, just sing louder? *shudder* (There's a time & place for it, though, like in "Shy" from Once Upon a Mattress or any role created by Ethel Merman!)

I think I saw this kid on the Tonys that year and wasn't impressed, but maybe I'm mis-remembering.

sariana
02-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Girls who play Annie tend to belt; I find that really painful - you know, when you can't hit the note, just sing louder? *shudder* (There's a time & place for it, though, like in "Shy" from Once Upon a Mattress or any role created by Ethel Merman!)

I think I saw this kid on the Tonys that year and wasn't impressed, but maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Well, really, any of Fred's songs from OUaM. I love that show! My sister played Aggravaine in a middle-school production. I still sing songs from it around the house just for fun.

I don't know this particular actor, though.

Honestly, Ariel's repertoire isn't that challenging. It's just that her voice is a key plot point. So it would need to be someone distinctive more than virtuoso, IMO.

lizzywednesday
02-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Well, really, any of Fred's songs from OUaM. I love that show! My sister played Aggravaine in a middle-school production. I still sing songs from it around the house just for fun.

Carol Burnett singing "Shy" is my alarm to go pick DD up at the bus stop, so it's the first one I thought of. It's so catchy, and reminds me of DD.

Honestly, Ariel's repertoire isn't that challenging. It's just that her voice is a key plot point. So it would need to be someone distinctive more than virtuoso, IMO.

That's what I was trying to point out upthread - I looked up the range from the Broadway show's publishers to see if I wasn't just talking out of my hat, and, no, the top of Ariel's range is just about where my own voice breaks (I sing 2nd Alto/Contralto, as I've done in choruses for the past, oh, 25 years.)