PDA

View Full Version : Home remodeling newbie- favorite resources?

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2017, 12:47 PM
When we need to buy a new car, I know I can do a lot of research on Edmunds. Is there somewhere like that for home remodeling? What websites, books...would you recommend for someone that's never done a big remodeling project? I've talked to plenty of friends but I like reading and researching too.
Also, our friendly acquaintance is a general contractor. He's great but he's decided to get out of the residential business and go to commercial only. Do you think I could hire him though to just come walk through the space and talk out the idea and process? Is that a legitimate thing to ask for?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
02-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Hiring a good designer was one of the best things we've ever done! She started a Pinterest board for us with some general ideas, which we added to. She helped us determine our style, then helped come up with the design, then helped layer in all the contractors, then did all the final design touches (down to arranging our bookshelves!). Otherwise, it's WAY too easy to get overwhelmed with what's out there because the choices are almost limitless. She helped narrow things down so we could focus, and made sure that the design was cohesive. She also made sure the design would work in the constraints of our budget and home (layout, etc), and that the design with contribute positively towards resale value based on the location of our home and the comps nearby (in other words, helped us walk the line between spending just enough to get the best return on investment).

Best money spent!

We've done a remodel before with just a general contractor giving advice (and our own perceived ideas about design) and the remodel with the designer is 1000x better (and the $$ we spent was comparable!) General contractors are great to tell you what can and can't be done, but interior design is an art, and you want to start with a vision before bringing in the contractors:)

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Hiring a good designer was one of the best things we've ever done! She started a Pinterest board for us with some general ideas, which we added to. She helped us determine our style, then helped come up with the design, then helped layer in all the contractors, then did all the final design touches (down to arranging our bookshelves!). Otherwise, it's WAY too easy to get overwhelmed with what's out there because the choices are almost limitless. She helped narrow things down so we could focus, and made sure that the design was cohesive. She also made sure the design would work in the constraints of our budget and home (layout, etc), and that the design with contribute positively towards resale value based on the location of our home and the comps nearby (in other words, helped us walk the line between spending just enough to get the best return on investment).

Best money spent!

We've done a remodel before with just a general contractor giving advice (and our own perceived ideas about design) and the remodel with the designer is 1000x better! General contractors are great to tell you what can and can't be done, but interior design is an art, and you want to start with a vision before bringing in the contractors:)

Awesome. My friend is just getting off the ground with her design business and is including consulting services in our upcoming school auction. I was thinking about bidding on her. :)Other friends have used her with success. I can reach out to a more experienced pro as well.

khalloc
02-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Houzz. Go to the Gardenweb Home forums section

hillview
02-21-2017, 04:58 PM
adding to Houzz and Garden Web (this is the best forum set for remodeling ever) I'd add pintrest for ideas. When we were redoing our kitchen I also asked friends to let me tour their kitchens (open drawers etc) and ask them what they liked and didn't like. This was very useful.

niccig
02-21-2017, 06:48 PM
I agree with all of the above. We ended up interviewing a few people and that helped us understand scope and what to expect. We decided a design-build firm was best for our large project as everything under 1 shop and we don't have the time to coordinate anything. DHs uncle is an architect and his wife is an interior designer (but live too far away to do the project) and we've had them as our 2nd opinions. They were the ones who suggested we look at design-build rather than architect + contractor as they know constraints we have.

MIL has also been good source of advice as remodeled own home, and while her design style isn't the same, she's very good at use of space. She's helped talk DH into a few things I wanted.

I'd caution you on using friends. Something will go wrong, it always does, and it can strain or break a friendship. We've seen that with 2 couples we know, so we went with referrals from people we know and from Houzz, but no one in our social group.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2017, 06:52 PM
I agree with all of the above. We ended up interview g a few people and decided a design-build firm was best for our large project as everything under 1 shop and we don't have the time to coordinate anything. DHs uncle is an architect and his wife is an interior designer (but live too far away to do the project) and we've had them as our 2nd opinion.

I'd caution you on using friends. Something will go wrong, it always does, and it can strain or break a friendship. We've seen that with 2 couples we know, so we went with referrals from people and from Houzz, but no one in our social group.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

I wouldn't want to hire a friend to really see through the project, just someone to bounce preliminary ideas off of. After that, I'll go through the process of interviewing and getting recommendations... sound ok?

pastrygirl
02-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Houzz. Go to the Gardenweb Home forums section

Yup, this!! The Houzz forums are not great, but the GardenWeb ones are fantastic. Houzz is good for collecting inspiration photos.

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Is there anywhere with articles? I'm not ready to dive into message boards just yet. I find those better for further down the road when you understand the general outline a bit.