PDA

View Full Version : Which Dog Breed?

barkley1
02-23-2017, 07:46 PM
DH and I have decided it's time for our family to become dog owners...exciting!!! I have owned a cat about 20 yrs ago; DH has owned a dog (for about 2 yrs before it had to go to his mom b/c his son was born very prematurely). I grew up with Black labs, but always at the home I wasn't living at (ex. at my dad's when my mom had custody; at my mom's when I was off to college). So, we are fairly "new" to this.

I think I have it narrowed down between a Cavapoo and a Whoodle. I have been around both a lot, and like them both but obviously haven't lived with either for any good amount of time. We are looking for a small to medium, low-to-no shedding dog, not hyper (obviously after the puppy stage), friendly - esp to kids as ours are 5 and 7. I do plan on putting a lot of time into training the dog. It will not sleep in anybody's bed. We have a good-sized yard and will install an invisible fence if needed. If you have experience w/ these breeds, which do you recommend? ****PLEASE do not suggest adopting from the shelter. I know that's preferable, but it's honestly a crap shoot as to temperament and health, and we are 100% more comfortable as first time dog owners getting a specific breed.****

Thanks!!

StantonHyde
02-23-2017, 08:26 PM
So a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/poodle mix and a something else poodle mix?? Not sure what the mix is there. I could give more info if I knew. Plus--it really comes down to the parents and the breeder. Have you found reputable breeders?

azzeps
02-23-2017, 08:36 PM
I'm curious about the Whoodle! DH and I are considering a dog, too, and have tossed around Cavapoos and Golden Doodles. Today we learned there is a breed of Labradoodle that is miniature (they use sperm from a toy poodle to inseminate a labrador, and voila, tiny labradoorish dogs?).

JBaxter
02-23-2017, 08:50 PM
My mom breeds Cavachons King Charles Spaniels and Bichons They are really nice dogs Mommas are Bichons Send me a message on what you want to know what I cant answer I'll find out for you. My sister has a Cavapoo. I have 2 yorkie rescues that happened when we were waiting for my moms dog to have a litter or I'd have a Cavachon :D

doberbrat
02-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Have you found reputable breeders?

IMO Reputable breeders dont breed mixes. A CKCS is a much smaller sporting dog. Wheatons are in the 50lb range and are terriers. Do you want a larger or smaller dog? Do you want a dog who is more apt to follow your every move and be a 2nd shadow or a dog who is more independent? Personally, I think that sporting dogs are better for 1st time owners than terriers. (Yes, I know this is a HUGE generalization). But, with that age kids, I think I'd go with the larger dog. Smaller dogs tend to be more delicate.

Also FWIW, I'd never use an electric fence with a CKCS - they tend to be too soft personality wise and they're small enough to be prey to hawks etc.

flashy09
02-23-2017, 10:02 PM
I haven't heard of those mixes....I am sure they are adorable, but the problem is that you are mixing a lot of genetics and Joe's Whoodle will be vastly different than Bob's Whoodle. Which is just fine - I love mutts, but they are free at the Humane Society and a bit tricky when you have a lot of requirements that need to be met. I would look at recognized breeds that fit what you want. It will be much less of a crapshoot.

My recommendations would be a Pug, Miniature Schnauzer, Miniature Poodle...those are trainable, intelligent, affectionate, low shedding dogs. The Pug would be best for low exercise needs.

westwoodmom04
02-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Tibetan terriers are totally hypoallergenic like poodles and are medium size, ours is very sweet and clever,

baymom
02-23-2017, 10:10 PM
We have an Australian Labradoodle. She weighs 32 lbs and is so sweet natured. If you want a poodle mix, consider a multi gen Australian Labradoodle, since you'll have a better idea of the size/temperament, than with an 'earlier generation' mix.

niccig
02-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Make sure the poodle in the mix isn't a standard poodle. My parents have 2 labrododdles and they are 80lbs and 100lbs....absolutely huge.

We have a rescue we think is a havanese. He has the look, temperament and prancing walk. He's very chill, nothing fazes him and doesn't bark.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

twowhat?
02-23-2017, 10:35 PM
If you are set on going for a specific breed, I would absolutely look for a reputable breeder of purebreds. Like PPs have mentioned, Whoodles etc aren't recognized breeds. They are fancy mutts. And there are SO MANY PEOPLE out there breeding these fancy mutts, claiming to have parents of good temperament, etc and can make you believe they are reputable breeders...but they are really just making fancy mutts for money. There are NO recognized guidelines on temperament, form, etc for fancy mutts. A friend of ours got a mini golden doodle or something like that and the dog looks nothing like they expected, and they paid thousands to a "reputable breeder".

There are lots of no/low-shedding purebred dogs you could look at.

elbenn
02-23-2017, 10:59 PM
I haven't heard of those mixes....I am sure they are adorable, but the problem is that you are mixing a lot of genetics and Joe's Whoodle will be vastly different than Bob's Whoodle. Which is just fine - I love mutts, but they are free at the Humane Society and a bit tricky when you have a lot of requirements that need to be met. I would look at recognized breeds that fit what you want. It will be much less of a crapshoot.

My recommendations would be a Pug, Miniature Schnauzer, Miniature Poodle...those are trainable, intelligent, affectionate, low shedding dogs. The Pug would be best for low exercise needs.

I agree that it will be much more of a crapshoot than if you get a purebred dog. Maybe you could give a list of the things you require and the things you would like and people could suggest some breeds to check out.

ChicagoNDMom
02-23-2017, 11:44 PM
I agree with the concerns raised. If you are going to get a smaller breed, an electric fence might not be a great idea. Please read up on the pros and cons. I have a friend with a Tibetan Terrier (rec by a prior poster) and it is a wonderful dog that I think meets your stated criteria. I would look for the best breeder, one committed to bettering a recognized breed, rather than "doodling" for $. I am a Labrador owner and love my dog to pieces but battle fur daily, so I understand your desire to have a low shedding breed.

emily_gracesmama
02-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Pugs are not low shedding. I have had three in my lifetime. The fawn have a double coat and shed year round. The black ones have a single coat and shed less. Great and loveable dogs but lots of hair!

trcy
02-24-2017, 05:28 AM
I agree with PPs, many times doodles are a crapshoot. They are expensive mixes with no breed standards. Here is a list I found of little to no shedding dog breeds
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dog_breeds_with_little_to_no_shedding

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

specialp
02-24-2017, 09:08 AM
I would not do an electric fence with that size of a dog. I would be leery of a breeder who told you it was okay. I have issues with them in general, but most important, an electric fence does not keep other animals out, including much bigger dogs. Consider whether you are willing to install a physical fence if needed. I have 2 neighbors with no fence and small dogs. They do fine on leashes. I’m not anti electric fence for bigger dogs on land where a physical fence is impossible.

I have no experience with either breed, but looked them up. I’ve had purebreds all my life with a true mutt thrown in here and there, but I’m just not one who thinks you can only have purebreds or pound puppies. Whatever you decide, a breeder should have just as many questions of you on how you plan to care for the dog as you do for him/her on how s/he cares for, breeds, and socializes the dogs. (And this is where my breeder would not have been okay with an electric fence for my small dog.) Good luck on your search!!

hillview
02-24-2017, 09:13 AM
We have an Australian Labradoodle. She weighs 32 lbs and is so sweet natured. If you want a poodle mix, consider a multi gen Australian Labradoodle, since you'll have a better idea of the size/temperament, than with an 'earlier generation' mix.
We have 2 one is 45 lbs and one is 25. Great dogs.

MSWR0319
02-24-2017, 09:20 AM

We have 2 one is 45 lbs and one is 25. Great dogs.

We also have one and she's so sweet. She's 25lbs (considered a mini by our breeder). Our breeder does personality assessments, and works with the puppies each day to make sure they are good family dogs. I'd check and see what type of work your breeder does with the pups when she is raising them. That would help me decide.

mmsmom
02-24-2017, 10:30 AM
Just adding to the chorus that if you have specific needs for a dog do not get a "designer breed". You truly do not know what you will get because it is impossible to know which traits of the mother and father dogs the puppies will get. Many of these dogs do shed or are a different size than expected. It is also very difficult to find reputable breeders for designer breeds as there is no standard their puppies need to meet and no guidelines to follow.

A main aspect of reputable breeders of AKC recognized breeds is that they do not breed to make money. It is a hobby they do for the love of the breed, usually only have 2 litters per year and they do not make much money after their expenses are covered.

elbenn
02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Just adding to the chorus that if you have specific needs for a dog do not get a "designer breed". You truly do not know what you will get because it is impossible to know which traits of the mother and father dogs the puppies will get. Many of these dogs do shed or are a different size than expected. It is also very difficult to find reputable breeders for designer breeds as there is no standard their puppies need to meet and no guidelines to follow.

I know of many people that have hybrid dogs that shed, so this is definitely right that you don't know for sure what traits the dogs will get.

azzeps
02-24-2017, 11:28 AM
I have heard that mixed breed dogs like doodles are less prone to health problems than pure bred dogs. Is that not the case?

trcy
02-24-2017, 12:15 PM
I have heard that mixed breed dogs like doodles are less prone to health problems than pure bred dogs. Is that not the case?

It is true; it's called hybrid vigor. But if you need/want specific traits (i.e. Certain size, non-shedding, ect), you can't be certain you will get that with a mix.

doberbrat
02-24-2017, 02:48 PM

Sort of. A true mutt might be less prone to health problems because purebred dogs often use line breeding and in breeding and therefore double up on potential health problems. Often in the case of the true mutt, the dogs are somewhat free roaming and nature takes care of the unhealthy ones.

A good breeder researches their lines and tries to breed health problems OUT of their lines to the extent possible. For instance, many people in my doberman club wanted me to breed Ny because in addition to her outstanding temperament and correct head, she was vWd clear, CERF clear, OFA excellent and tested free of any cardiac issues via yearly monitoring a board certified cardiologist. Traits that would have been good to put back into the gene pool.

But these designer mixed breeds are not really mutts. Usually, they're taking 2 pure bred dogs and breeding them. Often, there is no health screening whatsoever on the parents so the dogs are not in any way healthier than their purebred counter parts. The justification for breeding the dogs is they have a nice temperament and the puppies will sell. You just dont know what you will end up with.

Personally, if I want to take a cr@pshoot in a dog healthwise and temperament wise, I'll get a dog from a shelter and pay a few hundred dollars. If I want a known entity, I select the breed that best fits my lifestyle, go to a good breeder who tests and tells and pay the associated costs. No way no how would I personally ever pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a designer mutt.

barkley1
02-24-2017, 03:38 PM

This why I am wary of purebreds. My labs growing up ALL had serious hip issues and other health problems. My fav dog is the King Charles Cavalier, but MAN, if you google their health issues, it's scary. That's why I was thinking Cavapoo - I know the decreased shedding wouldn't be a guarantee, but was hoping it would minimize it. Also, as i stated in my OP, the electric fence would only be IF needed; no breeder has suggested one to me.

As far as the Whoodles, the breeder has been doing this for 25 years. She crate trains and socializes each dog. My good friend is on her second Whoodle from her, and has nothing but love for this breeder's dogs. She offers a two year temperament guarantee, as well as health etc..will take the dog back and replace.

This isn't a decision I take lightly at all - there's no way I'd get a designer breed from a random "reputable breeder" without some serious investigation, references, etc. I just can't see that this is a crapshoot as much as a mutt from the pound when these people do this year after year after year. They know their dogs, and they know their puppies when they sell them....at least the ones I've been looking at online. There are even degrees of breeding, such as a cross being bred with a purebred...F1, F2 etc so maybe sometimes there is a little more certainty. IDK.

I have looked at all the nonshedding dogs, and none of them really appeal to me as much as these two mixes. Again, I'm wanting to avoid health issues down the road, and hoping to get the best of both worlds in 2 great dog breeds. Of course, I do realize it's taking a chance anytime you get an animal, whether it will end up being a good or problem pet - this is probably why we have waited so long, ha!!

Charlie
02-24-2017, 03:55 PM
We are just starting to think about getting a dog and I came across this article about doodle mixes:

http://www.alternet.org/culture/heartbreaking-truth-about-those-cute-doodle-dogs

MSWR0319
02-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Sort of. A true mutt might be less prone to health problems because purebred dogs often use line breeding and in breeding and therefore double up on potential health problems. Often in the case of the true mutt, the dogs are somewhat free roaming and nature takes care of the unhealthy ones.

A good breeder researches their lines and tries to breed health problems OUT of their lines to the extent possible. For instance, many people in my doberman club wanted me to breed Ny because in addition to her outstanding temperament and correct head, she was vWd clear, CERF clear, OFA excellent and tested free of any cardiac issues via yearly monitoring a board certified cardiologist. Traits that would have been good to put back into the gene pool.

But these designer mixed breeds are not really mutts. Usually, they're taking 2 pure bred dogs and breeding them. Often, there is no health screening whatsoever on the parents so the dogs are not in any way healthier than their purebred counter parts. The justification for breeding the dogs is they have a nice temperament and the puppies will sell. You just dont know what you will end up with.

Personally, if I want to take a cr@pshoot in a dog healthwise and temperament wise, I'll get a dog from a shelter and pay a few hundred dollars. If I want a known entity, I select the breed that best fits my lifestyle, go to a good breeder who tests and tells and pay the associated costs. No way no how would I personally ever pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a designer mutt.

I would never own a "labradoodle" for the reasons you mentioned. I have way too many friends with crazy labradoodles who shed and have all sorts of problems! However, our Australian Labradoodle is a whole different ballgame than your "regular" labradoodle. The breeder we ended up going with does all of the testing you mentioned and also does temperament training/testing. Our dog is registered with the ALAA, which doesn't mean much but does require that her parents are tested.

Mommaof3
02-24-2017, 04:46 PM
I have a Wheaten Terrier, the woo in the woodle mix! Our breeder breeds both wheatens and whoodles. My wheaten is a great dog, she is so sweet, can be hyper with new people but calms down. They are great dogs and I imagine the whoodles are great too. We had to go with non shed as my DD has allergies. The grooming can get $$ but I knew that going in. Plus I like that she gets all shiny and new every 6 weeks. Good luck!

HannaAddict
02-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Just might want to rethink the designer made up combos. They aren't as reliable as an actual breed. Since you are concerned about knowing specific details and those aren't really breeds. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westwoodmom04
02-24-2017, 11:08 PM
I have a Wheaten Terrier, the woo in the woodle mix! Our breeder breeds both wheatens and whoodles. My wheaten is a great dog, she is so sweet, can be hyper with new people but calms down. They are great dogs and I imagine the whoodles are great too. We had to go with non shed as my DD has allergies. The grooming can get $$ but I knew that going in. Plus I like that she gets all shiny and new every 6 weeks. Good luck!

I have to say, to me, real wheatens are way cuter than woodles. We have four in our neighborhood and they are all nice dogs. My Tibetan loves them because they are slightly larger versions of him, and super friendly.

HannaAddict
02-25-2017, 06:12 AM
As others have said, the Wheaten Terriers we have been around have been universally lovely dogs. Easy going and friendly and cute. I would find a great reputable breeder and look into that breed based on your criteria.

Mommaof3
02-25-2017, 11:57 AM
I have to say, to me, real wheatens are way cuter than woodles. We have four in our neighborhood and they are all nice dogs. My Tibetan loves them because they are slightly larger versions of him, and super friendly.

I totally agree!! I am of course partial to wheatens but also think they are much cuter.

Mommaof3
02-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Just might want to rethink the designer made up combos. They aren't as reliable as an actual breed. Since you are concerned about knowing specific details and those aren't really breeds. Good luck.

We considered a mix but for the money we were spending we decided to go with a pure bred. Finding a reputable breeder is a must!

HannaAddict
02-25-2017, 03:10 PM
This why I am wary of purebreds. My labs growing up ALL had serious hip issues and other health problems. My fav dog is the King Charles Cavalier, but MAN, if you google their health issues, it's scary. That's why I was thinking Cavapoo - I know the decreased shedding wouldn't be a guarantee, but was hoping it would minimize it. Also, as i stated in my OP, the electric fence would only be IF needed; no breeder has suggested one to me.

As far as the Whoodles, the breeder has been doing this for 25 years. She crate trains and socializes each dog. My good friend is on her second Whoodle from her, and has nothing but love for this breeder's dogs. She offers a two year temperament guarantee, as well as health etc..will take the dog back and replace.

This isn't a decision I take lightly at all - there's no way I'd get a designer breed from a random "reputable breeder" without some serious investigation, references, etc. I just can't see that this is a crapshoot as much as a mutt from the pound when these people do this year after year after year. They know their dogs, and they know their puppies when they sell them....at least the ones I've been looking at online. There are even degrees of breeding, such as a cross being bred with a purebred...F1, F2 etc so maybe sometimes there is a little more certainty. IDK.

I have looked at all the nonshedding dogs, and none of them really appeal to me as much as these two mixes. Again, I'm wanting to avoid health issues down the road, and hoping to get the best of both worlds in 2 great dog breeds. Of course, I do realize it's taking a chance anytime you get an animal, whether it will end up being a good or problem pet - this is probably why we have waited so long, ha!!

The guarantee just means your dog is disposable as they are generally euthanized. I can't imagine having a dog for months let alone years and returning it like a pair of shoes. Ugh. That is sort of the issue with the commodity like breeding for cash of "designer dogs." They don't show them, there are no real standards and no breeders are reputable in the same way a good AKC breeder is since their only motive, 100%, is profit.

azzeps
03-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Hey, OP, did you end up coming to any decision? We found three reputable breeders of labradoodles in our area and ended up choosing one today. We get our puppy next week! Happening pretty quickly but he was available and a good fit, so here we go!

SASM
03-10-2017, 04:59 PM
,I know this isn't on your list but a straight-up poodle is a FANTASTIC dog!! No need to add any other dogs to the mix...they are perfect just as they are. We have 2 standard poodles (a black/blue and a red) who range between 47-50#. I am guessing too big for your needs but a miniature poodle would be a great mid-size 20#-ish option. They do require regular grooming but any non-shedding "hypoallergenic" dog will also require grooming. People seem to not like the poodle cut but you can honestly keep the hair longer...they don't need a fancy cut.

citymama
03-10-2017, 05:15 PM
We have a Whoodle! Wow, I never expected anyone to narrow their search down to one of these guys because they're not that common. We LOVE him, he's pretty much the cutest dog I've ever seen. I'm super allergic to dogs and cats, and I am not allergic to him b/c both Poodles and Wheaton Terriers have hypoallergenic fur.

The pros: adorable, sweet temperament, very loving and attached, very intelligent and trainable, great size (22 lbs), hypoallergenic, zero shedding. He is amazing with other dogs and animals. Did I mention trainable? He is so quick at learning new tricks and knowing the "rules" of the house.

The cons: Grooming - they need regular brushing and haircuts every couple of months. His terrier side means he likes to dig (but is learning to dig in only one spot in our yard), and he barks every time someone is near our front door or even out on the sidewalk. He also still plays with us with his teeth, meaning that when he gets very excited he starts to nip or mouth us as a way of playing. He sometimes tries to "herd" younger DD by nipping at her heels - don't understand this since he isn't a shepherd! We have tried many things - ignoring him when he mouths, giving him chew toys, saying no, etc. We are planning to get a trainer to deal with barking and mouthing issues - I'm better with teaching him how to do things than how not to do things!

We got him at age 1, and had not been well socialized as a pup, so he is afraid of new people (which is why he barks but also tries to hide behind us). So I would encourage exposing your new pup to lots of people early on, and also getting him trained - I guess this is true for any dog you get and not unique to this breed.

pinkmomagain
03-10-2017, 06:07 PM
We are waiting for our Lagotto Romagnolo puppy to be born. You may want to look into that breed as it seems to meet your criteria. Breeders are not so easy to find, though. We will be flying to another state to get him.

trcy
03-10-2017, 07:20 PM
We are waiting for our Lagotto Romagnolo puppy to be born. You may want to look into that breed as it seems to meet your criteria. Breeders are not so easy to find, though. We will be flying to another state to get him.

I met some at a dog show awhile back and fell in love! Please post once you get him.
I am trying to plan what our next dog will be. Our current dog is getting older and I don't want to make heartbroken, impulsive decision....like our current dog was. Lucky she is a wonderful dog!

barkley1
03-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Hey, OP, did you end up coming to any decision? We found three reputable breeders of labradoodles in our area and ended up choosing one today. We get our puppy next week! Happening pretty quickly but he was available and a good fit, so here we go!

DH had decided that he is actually NOT quite ready to take the plunge right now...we're going to wait about 6 months so have more time to think. BUT, I do adore the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...if only it didn't shed so much. The internet says "some", my friend that has one says " a lot". So, we will probably go with the Whoodle. We know someone that has gotten 2 puppies from this breeder, we trust her to do all the right things based on my friend having a personal relationship with her, etc...Also, we can watch our friend's Whoodle grow up a little more and see how it does before we make our decision. I love the Cavapoos, but I guess it just comes down to the fact that I don't know a reputable breeder right now.

Corie
03-11-2017, 10:18 PM
BUT, I do adore the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...if only it didn't shed so much. The internet says "some", my friend that has one says " a lot".

Two of our four dogs are Cavalier King Charles. I absolutely LOVE this breed!! I do agree with your friend though. They shed a lot.

elbenn
03-12-2017, 01:18 PM

We got a water dog, too. Ours is a Spanish Water Dog. SWDs are often mentioned in the same group as the Lagotto Romagnolos even though they are quite different in temperament and skills. We love our SWD!

baileygirl
03-12-2017, 11:18 PM
You might look at coton de tulears.

citymama
03-13-2017, 02:23 AM
DH had decided that he is actually NOT quite ready to take the plunge right now...we're going to wait about 6 months so have more time to think. BUT, I do adore the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...if only it didn't shed so much. The internet says "some", my friend that has one says " a lot". So, we will probably go with the Whoodle. We know someone that has gotten 2 puppies from this breeder, we trust her to do all the right things based on my friend having a personal relationship with her, etc...Also, we can watch our friend's Whoodle grow up a little more and see how it does before we make our decision. I love the Cavapoos, but I guess it just comes down to the fact that I don't know a reputable breeder right now.

Whoodle mom here, let me know if I can answer any questions! They're so much fun.