PDA

View Full Version : What is this bump on my gum?

MSWR0319
02-24-2017, 09:25 AM
My jaw has been slightly achy for a few days. I didn't think much of it because I had two fillings replaced earlier this week and thought it was from having my mouth open so long. I just looked in there and on the bottom, way below the tooth, there is a bump about the size of a pea. It's pretty hard and doesn't hurt when I touch it, nor does my tooth hurt at all where it is. It's close to the achy area but not right there. Of course I googled and everything comes up as an abscess. It doesn't hurt at all though which I find strange. The fillings I had fixed are on the top (bump is on the bottom) but directly above that area. Thoughts? I called the dentist already but they have to wait for him to come in this afternoon before they can try and work me in.

Mikey0709
02-24-2017, 10:06 AM
My first thoughts were an abscess too. But was there any chance that they put a nova-cane needle there?

MSWR0319
02-24-2017, 04:20 PM
So apparently it's a bone. The dentist said it's the same type that come through on the inside of your jaw, mine just happened to come on the outside. I felt like an idiot!!

NCGrandma
02-24-2017, 09:59 PM
So apparently it's a bone. The dentist said it's the same type that come through on the inside of your jaw, mine just happened to come on the outside. I felt like an idiot!!

No need to feel like an idiot -- these may take a while to grow to a noticeable size. If you're really lucky like me, you'll have BOTH the ones growing inside (mandibular torus) AND outside (buccal exostosis of the mandible). And if you're especially lucky, both will continue to grow slowly and get even more annoying!

By the way, don't google either of those terms unless you want to see some rather disgusting photos...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)