PDA

View Full Version : Lego Batman movie- how is it?

Reader
02-24-2017, 11:26 PM
I was thinking of taking my 3 kids (12, 10, 7) to see it this weekend but some of the reviews on Common Sense media are concerning me. What did you and your kids think?

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2017, 11:43 PM
We saw it last weekend and all enjoyed it. If you saw the Lego Movie, this isn't really any different.
I find CSM to be way too conservative for my family. We take their guidelines and subtract 2-4 years from their recommended age.
ETA- ok, I read a few of the reviews and I totally think any of the negative comments are a stretch. Some people just like to fuss about things. Maybe there are occasional grown up oriented jokes but they're subtle and really not a reason not to take a kiddo. Even CSM says ages 7+, which is pretty young. I'd trust their assessment more than a random commenter (which I suppose I am right now :)).
ETA- wow. Some of those reviews! "Should be PG-13"??? Did they not see the original Lego movie? Batman is the same in this as in that. It's a fine kids movie for I'd say the vast majority of the population. Only you know if you're comfortable with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specialp
02-24-2017, 11:54 PM
We took a group of 7 ages 4-8 while school was out this week. Not the 3d version. The grownups didn't like it that much, but the kids loved it and there was nothing that concerned me. A couple of the younger ones got a little nervous in one scene with the loud music, but hung in there and were fine.

JenChem
02-24-2017, 11:54 PM
If you have ever enjoyed Batman in any form there is something in this movie for you. DH loved it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reader
02-25-2017, 12:13 AM
We saw it last weekend and all enjoyed it. If you saw the Lego Movie, this isn't really any different.
I find CSM to be way too conservative for my family. We take their guidelines and subtract 2-4 years from their recommended age.
ETA- ok, I read a few of the reviews and I totally think any of the negative comments are a stretch. Some people just like to fuss about things. Maybe there are occasional grown up oriented jokes but they're subtle and really not a reason not to take a kiddo. Even CSM says ages 7+, which is pretty young. I'd trust their assessment more than a random commenter (which I suppose I am right now :)).
ETA- wow. Some of those reviews! "Should be PG-13"??? Did they not see the original Lego movie? Batman is the same in this as in that. It's a fine kids movie for I'd say the vast majority of the population. Only you know if you're comfortable with it though.

Thanks, this is helpful. I didn't like the original (but it's not for me), but my kids did see it. What about the review about a character dying (hope that's not spoiling for anyone)? Is that a big deal in the movie? Worried that might bother the 7 year old.

Reader
02-25-2017, 12:13 AM
If you have ever enjoyed Batman in any form there is something in this movie for you. DH loved it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's great. 2/3 of my kids were Batman for Halloween at some point.

Smillow
02-25-2017, 12:16 AM
All of us enjoyed it. Especially DH!

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2017, 12:21 AM
Thanks, this is helpful. I didn't like the original (but it's not for me), but my kids did see it. What about the review about a character dying (hope that's not spoiling for anyone)? Is that a big deal in the movie? Worried that might bother the 7 year old.

I have no memory of that. There's a moment of peril but it works out. It's far less intense than most Disney movies.

bisous
02-25-2017, 12:25 AM
The reviews are often pretty accurate for my kids but these lego ones seem a bit extreme. There is a mom on there that had a 12 yo in tears. My 9yo saw and like Rogue One, to put it in perspective. I guess we'll have to see it and see if we agree. Our entire family (including our then 2yo) LOVED the original Lego movie. I was honestly planning on bringing all 4 of my kids.

PZMommy
02-25-2017, 12:39 AM
We saw it opening weekend. My 7 yr old and I loved it. My 5 yr old is obsessed, and I mean obsessed, with ninjago. They showed the trailer for that, and the whole movie he kept asking to go see the ninjago one instead. He said he liked the batman one, but likes the nanjago movie (that he hasn't even seen) better. lol. I don't recall any character dying. Nothing was that scary, and there were a few adult oriented jokes, but they went right over my kids' heads. Your kids are plenty old enough to see it.

PunkyBoo
02-25-2017, 01:07 AM
I saw it with my boys ages 12 & 8 with some friends that are 10 year old girls and another 12 year old boy. We all loved the original Lego movie, and, while this one was well done, none of us loved it. I actually almost fell asleep and so did the friends mom. It had funny moments. Maybe we're all more Lego people than Batman people.

belovedgandp
02-25-2017, 01:21 AM
My kids 12, 9 and 6 loved it. DH and I tolerated it. It had some funny moments, but I was disappointed. I'd enjoyed the Lego Movie and was expecting more. DH had not been as impressed with the Lego Movie and went in with lower expectations that were met.

I typically have extremely sensitive kids to movies. Typical kid movies where a character is breaking a rule and then learns a lesson stress them out. Yes, they were all crying by the end, but it wasn't because of stress or scared just caught up in the moments (the painful contrived moments to me). They were attached and I was checking my watch thinking of what I could have been doing if DH had let me skip.

essnce629
02-25-2017, 06:29 AM
DH and I took 7 year old DS2 last weekend. We all really enjoyed it and the first Lego movie as well. 13 year old DS1 had wanted to go too but had other plans already.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

jgenie
02-25-2017, 07:26 AM
We saw it last weekend. My 9 yo and 7 yo loved it. DH enjoyed it. I wasn't impressed. I liked the Lego movie much more. We were with friends otherwise I would have left DH with the kids and headed out for a bit of solo shopping.

hillview
02-25-2017, 08:08 AM
We all liked it boys ages 11&9

lizzywednesday
02-25-2017, 09:33 AM
DH and I took DD (almost 7) when she was off school for Presidents' Day.

We all liked it; I laughed out loud at some parts. But, then again, I've seen most of the 1960s Batman series, nearly all of the animated series, and all modern-day Batman movies ... in addition to having read a good chunk of Silver Age and late 1980's/early 1990's character reboot comic books/collected graphic novels, so maybe I'm biased.

It was cheesy in some parts, yes, but no cheesier than the Adam West-Burt Ward TV show. And, unlike The LEGO Movie, I didn't feel the story dragged at all. (It was clunky in some parts, yes, but at least it didn't drag.)

liz
02-25-2017, 09:51 AM
We went this past week. My kids are similar in ages to yours. They loved it and are already asking about buying the movie when it comes out on DVD. DH and I thought it was pretty good.

specialp
02-25-2017, 11:07 AM

I have no memory of that. There's a moment of peril but it works out. It's far less intense than most Disney movies.

I wonder if it is referring to Batman's parents and him being an orphan. They died, obviously, and was how batman became a loner in the movie. He looks at a family picture a lot with he and his parents. It is talked about, but not shown, explained, or drawn out.

ellies mom
02-25-2017, 11:40 AM
We're geeks and we loved it. It was more of an homage to Batman told with Legos than anything else. There was also nods to several other fandoms tossed in for good measure. At our screening, I would say the adults laughed more than the kids.

I don't remember a death either.

Reader
02-25-2017, 02:09 PM
I wonder if it is referring to Batman's parents and him being an orphan. They died, obviously, and was how batman became a loner in the movie. He looks at a family picture a lot with he and his parents. It is talked about, but not shown, explained, or drawn out.

I don't think that would bother my kids. I read in one review that Robin dies, which would probably concern DS (7). Since no one remembers it here, it must be fine. Sounds like the kids will like the movie. Thanks for the reviews, everyone.

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't think that would bother my kids. I read in one review that Robin dies, which would probably concern DS (7). Since no one remembers it here, it must be fine. Sounds like the kids will like the movie. Thanks for the reviews, everyone.

Spoiler- that doesn't happen. What does the review say?

klwa
02-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Took my kids today. I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did all three kids. (11, 8, 4)

AnnieW625
02-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Honestly I thought it was on the stupid level joke wise and I thought the first movie was better story wise , but overall my kids liked it as did DH (who agreed with me he liked the first one better), but I did like the music.

We are very much like Snuggle Buggles family in regards to CSM, and there are very few movies that I have found that I have agreed with the reviews 100% of the time; the review of Slapshot was spot on so I decided to not show it to my Dd1 who loves hockey movies. I may still show it to her if I feel that the cleaned up movie they show on NHL Network is okay since they have cut out the f bombs and if they cut out the one sex scene which is questionable (but it is kind of needed because it explains one of the fights).

smilequeen
02-25-2017, 07:49 PM
My 3 all loved it, including the 12 year old, which was a surprise. I didn't fall asleep, it was entertaining enough for me :) DH actually liked it a lot.

However, I never look at common sense media as it is generally more conservative than my family.

Tenasparkl
02-25-2017, 08:11 PM
We just saw it a second time because DD wasn't with us the first time. I still loved it on a second viewing. I love that they make fun of how serious recent Batman movies have gotten. Lots of funny stuff!

Cam&Clay
02-25-2017, 08:28 PM
It was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen! It was hilarious and I can't think of anything that would make someone cry?!?!

ellies mom
02-25-2017, 11:56 PM
As an adult, I think it really helps to be a Batman fan or at least familiar with the basic story to really enjoy it.

You can tell the reviewers on CSM that clearly do not know anything about Batman.

nfowife
02-26-2017, 12:00 AM
My son took 9 friends opening weekend for his 10th birthday and my 6 year old was there, as well as my 11 year old. I personally thought it was less funny than the first lego movie but still funny. All the kids loved it.

MommyAllison
02-26-2017, 01:16 AM
We took the whole family and all really enjoyed it, though I do think the Lego movie was funnier. We are generally Lego movie fans (love the Star Wars!) and their type of humor. My 5 year old loved it, she climbed into DH's lap during scary parts of Moana (which she also loves) but was totally fine during Lego Batman.

AnnieW625
02-26-2017, 10:58 AM

There is a scene with Alfred, but it isn't scary IMHO.

Reader
02-26-2017, 11:06 PM
All 3 kids liked it. I actually liked it better than the original Lego movie. Thanks, everyone.

citymama
03-02-2017, 06:45 PM
It was pretty "meh." Not at all as good as the Lego Movie, which has so many memorable scenes. We saw it 2 weeks ago and I can hardly remember a single memorable scene. Took DD1 (10.5) and DD2 (6.5) and it was age appropriate for both.

ETA Whoops, missed your reply, was replying to the original post! Been off the boards for a bit so only just saw this. Glad you guys enjoyed it!