PDA

View Full Version : What would you want for 4 months?

niccig
02-25-2017, 06:33 PM
We're have to pack up all the house for 4 months during remodel. We're staying here during construction- what would you want to have access to?

Wine bottle opener is already on the list

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

ang79
02-25-2017, 06:44 PM
We lived in an apartment this past summer/fall for 6 months while building our house. Lots of our stuff stayed in storage. I took only the basic cooking supplies, dishes, towels, and bedding. Felt like I was living in my first apartment after college when I didn't have much stuff! I gave the girls two plastic totes and let them fill one with books and the other with toys (they also took some special stuffed animals for their beds and their AG dolls/clothing). I also took some craft supplies, as they love to make things, and my loom knitting supplies as it is my stress reliever! The biggest challenge was trying to have the right amount of clothes for the change of seasons in the fall. We actually ended up being in the apartment longer than anticipated, and I had to get into storage to find warmer coats and stuff, which was a pain, but doable. Good luck and I hope the time passes quickly for you!

twowhat?
02-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Our remodel took 6 weeks (4 months - yikes!) and we did the same as you - packed everything up and left access to certain basics...and by the end of that 6 weeks we ended up donating quite a lot of what we had packed up because we found we didn't really need it:) I'm not sure what rooms you will have access too (kitchen?). Our remodel did include the kitchen and for those couple of weeks we just ate out. Stuff we kept out for use was based on which areas of the house we could use vs areas we couldn't use:

Enough dishes/forks/spoons/cups for our family for 1 meal. We hand washed in the laundry room or bathroom (whichever wasn't being worked on) and set on a rack to dry after each meal. VERY basic cooking supplies - think everything you need to make scrambled eggs...a good frying pan, spatula, cooking oil. Basic seasoning...salt, pepper, etc. Just the basics and what we use most often.

Basic linens - a bath towel and hand towel for everyone. Washed as needed. Keep the laundry detergent out if you will have access to your W/D.

Old rugs - we kept any rugs we planned to toss after the remodel - we put these in key thresholds between "dirty" and "clean". For example, our master bedroom was untouched, so we kept a big rug at the entry - all shoes must come off on that rug. Helped with the dust/etc. We also made sure everyone had a good comfy pair of Crocs flip flops to wear around the house - lots of stray sharp objects. Nails, screws, wood shards, etc. The rule was that everyone had to wear crocs in the house (and the crocs come off at the key thresholds). At a couple of places I did 2 rugs - one to leave the crocs on and the next one to give bare feet a quick swipe. We also put filters over air vents in the rooms being remodeled, and put air purifiers in the kids' rooms (not part of remodel), with the doors shut. Kind of felt like creating biosafety zones in the house but our kids have asthma so it was important.

The coffee maker!

Medications!

Toiletries - soap/shampoo/toothpaste/etc. Think of what's provided in a hotel room. In fact, this was a pretty good rule of thumb for everything - think of what's provided in a hotel room or one of those residence hotels that has the basic kitchenette with a set of 4 mugs, 4 plates, 4 forks, etc...

That's just off the top of my head for now. Will add more later if I think of more!

niccig
02-25-2017, 07:46 PM
We lived in an apartment this past summer/fall for 6 months while building our house. Lots of our stuff stayed in storage. I took only the basic cooking supplies, dishes, towels, and bedding. Felt like I was living in my first apartment after college when I didn't have much stuff! I gave the girls two plastic totes and let them fill one with books and the other with toys (they also took some special stuffed animals for their beds and their AG dolls/clothing). I also took some craft supplies, as they love to make things, and my loom knitting supplies as it is my stress reliever! The biggest challenge was trying to have the right amount of clothes for the change of seasons in the fall. We actually ended up being in the apartment longer than anticipated, and I had to get into storage to find warmer coats and stuff, which was a pain, but doable. Good luck and I hope the time passes quickly for you!

That's a good idea to give D.C. A bin for toys. I'll do that with DS.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

niccig
02-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Our remodel took 6 weeks (4 months - yikes!) and we did the same as you - packed everything up and left access to certain basics...and by the end of that 6 weeks we ended up donating quite a lot of what we had packed up because we found we didn't really need it:) I'm not sure what rooms you will have access too (kitchen?). Our remodel did include the kitchen and for those couple of weeks we just ate out. Stuff we kept out for use was based on which areas of the house we could use vs areas we couldn't use:

Enough dishes/forks/spoons/cups for our family for 1 meal. We hand washed in the laundry room or bathroom (whichever wasn't being worked on) and set on a rack to dry after each meal. VERY basic cooking supplies - think everything you need to make scrambled eggs...a good frying pan, spatula, cooking oil. Basic seasoning...salt, pepper, etc. Just the basics and what we use most often.

Basic linens - a bath towel and hand towel for everyone. Washed as needed. Keep the laundry detergent out if you will have access to your W/D.

Old rugs - we kept any rugs we planned to toss after the remodel - we put these in key thresholds between "dirty" and "clean". For example, our master bedroom was untouched, so we kept a big rug at the entry - all shoes must come off on that rug. Helped with the dust/etc. We also made sure everyone had a good comfy pair of Crocs flip flops to wear around the house - lots of stray sharp objects. Nails, screws, wood shards, etc. The rule was that everyone had to wear crocs in the house (and the crocs come off at the key thresholds). At a couple of places I did 2 rugs - one to leave the crocs on and the next one to give bare feet a quick swipe. We also put filters over air vents in the rooms being remodeled, and put air purifiers in the kids' rooms (not part of remodel), with the doors shut. Kind of felt like creating biosafety zones in the house but our kids have asthma so it was important.

The coffee maker!

Medications!

Toiletries - soap/shampoo/toothpaste/etc. Think of what's provided in a hotel room. In fact, this was a pretty good rule of thumb for everything - think of what's provided in a hotel room or one of those residence hotels that has the basic kitchenette with a set of 4 mugs, 4 plates, 4 forks, etc...

That's just off the top of my head for now. Will add more later if I think of more!

Good idea about the rugs. We won't have a kitchen or laundry- we have to go to the laundromat, but we're going to pay for the wash/fold service. I've packed our good cream towels and we will use older ones. I'm just packing basic kitchen items and paper plates

mmsmom
02-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Hate to say it but you should pack & plan for it take 6-8 months. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!