PDA

View Full Version : Auto Insurance - Windshield Glass repair

khalloc
02-27-2017, 11:11 AM
We have Ameriprise from Costco for auto insurance. This morning while driving i had a rock hit my windshield and cause a round chip. I would like to have it fixed immediately. But my DH and I are at odds - he thinks calling the insurance company to see about a claim will cause our insurance to go up. I think I should call the insurance and find out. I had this done a few years ago and I swear they said it was free to repair the glass. He of course thinks they will end up raising our costs.

So, can I call and find out at least and then decide to claim it or to just pay it out of pocket? Or should I call a glass repair place first and get an estimate?

sariana
02-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Windshield repair isn't covered by insurance here in CA. But you should be able to call you insurance company just to get information without actually making a claim. That shouldn't affect your rates (nor should making that type of claim, but that's a different rant). If it does, I would change insurance carriers.

o_mom
02-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Many auto insurance companies cover repairs with no deductible. They would rather pay $50 to repair a small chip than to pay for a whole new windshield when the chip turns into a crack because the car owner didn't get it fixed.

From the Ameriprise website:

Many road trips and commutes have been ruined by the sound of a pebble cracking a windshield. That is why we include a Glass Repair Deductible Waiver with our car insurance policies for no additional cost. In other words, if your windshield can be repaired (rather than replaced), we will waive your policy deductible.

It looks like it probably is covered at no charge.

mom2binsd
02-27-2017, 11:30 AM
I had a chip repaired recently, I drive over 150 miles a day on country roads so I get a lot of rock chips. It's about 50 at most places. I'd go to a place like safelite and see what they say, probably not worth a claim BUT check with your insurance, they may have a clause in your policy that will pay for that, it can't hurt to call your agent.

khalloc
02-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Many auto insurance companies cover repairs with no deductible. They would rather pay $50 to repair a small chip than to pay for a whole new windshield when the chip turns into a crack because the car owner didn't get it fixed.

From the Ameriprise website:

Many road trips and commutes have been ruined by the sound of a pebble cracking a windshield. That is why we include a Glass Repair Deductible Waiver with our car insurance policies for no additional cost. In other words, if your windshield can be repaired (rather than replaced), we will waive your policy deductible.

It looks like it probably is covered at no charge.

Where did you find that on the Ameriprise website? Because I just called and spoke to someone and she said my deductible was $100, so it would probably be cheaper to fix it myself and not do a claim. But I had the same thing happen a few years ago and I recall fixing it free of charge thru my insurance and we have not changed insurance. I am going to get it checked at lunch at a glass place.

o_mom
02-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Where did you find that on the Ameriprise website? Because I just called and spoke to someone and she said my deductible was $100, so it would probably be cheaper to fix it myself and not do a claim. But I had the same thing happen a few years ago and I recall fixing it free of charge thru my insurance and we have not changed insurance. I am going to get it checked at lunch at a glass place.

https://ameriprise.com/auto-home-insurance/insurance-choices/auto/auto-insurance-benefits.asp?

Under Windshield Repair.

khm
02-27-2017, 12:43 PM
https://ameriprise.com/auto-home-insurance/insurance-choices/auto/auto-insurance-benefits.asp?

Under Windshield Repair.

I'm sure it varies by state. In my state, we have a glass rider. It adds a bit to my bill, but rock chip fixes are free and do not "count" as an accident. If the rock chip fails, I have a deductible for the windshield (you can have a different glass deductible vs. your accident deductible). The glass repair place refunds you (the client) the difference of the failed fix, too.

corrie23
02-27-2017, 01:52 PM
I recently had to have my windshield replaced (it got a crack at the bottom from one end to the other after extreme temperature fluctuations and likely a tiny chip that had gone unnoticed). When I called our insurance company we were quoted (as I recall) around $300 to replace using their chosen glass company/negotiated rate but our deductible was $250 so it didn't seem worth it to go through insurance to save $50 but have our premiums potentially increase. I called a different glass company and they quoted $160 for the full replacement so that's what we did and paid out of pocket with no insurance claim.

I understand your husband's concern. Many years ago, a truck backed up into my husband's car while they were in line to pay a toll (and he couldn't get out of the way because there were cars lined up behind him). The truck drove off so we were on the hook. We were too broke at the time to even cover deductibles so we didn't get the repairs done at all and his premiums STILL went up for 3 years because they marked the "accident" on his file or something. When I called our insurance to ask about the windshield benefits, I specifically said that I was not sure if I would be making a claim and I just wanted info about our coverage but didn't want to be penalized just for inquiring. The insurance person acted like I was a loon, so maybe that's not a thing anymore.

khalloc
02-27-2017, 02:26 PM
I ended up taking it to a glass place. $53 to fill the chip. If I dont like the way it looks or if it gets worse I can bring it back and they will put the $53 towards a new windshield. I paid out of pocket.

Snow mom
02-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Here in MA windshield repair/replacement is required on auto insurance policies. It's a zero dedeuctable and I don't think it counts toward your record. I hope not because we've had two new windshield in as many years. MA is very strict with their car inspections so they require new windshields for things that I feel would be fine to drive with.

hillview
02-27-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm sure it varies by state. In my state, we have a glass rider. It adds a bit to my bill, but rock chip fixes are free and do not "count" as an accident. If the rock chip fails, I have a deductible for the windshield (you can have a different glass deductible vs. your accident deductible). The glass repair place refunds you (the client) the difference of the failed fix, too.

Here in MA windshield repair/replacement is required on auto insurance policies. It's a zero dedeuctable and I don't think it counts toward your record. I hope not because we've had two new windshield in as many years. MA is very strict with their car inspections so they require new windshields for things that I feel would be fine to drive with.
In​ MA it does not count against your policy.

heatherlynn
02-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Also in MA and it doesn't count against you. Doesn't cost anything and they can usually come to you to fix it.

HannaAddict
02-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Covered fully with no deductible with every time I've needed this done. They prefer that to replacing the windshield down the road when the crack spreads. This sort of call will not impact your premiums at all. Get it fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
02-28-2017, 06:38 AM
No deductible here in FL and they will replace your whole windshield Maryland I didn't have a chip repair deductible only a whole windshield replacement It varies like anything else.