PDA

View Full Version : Alarm company recs?

rachl500
02-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Looking for recs for alarm monitoring company. There is an old existing system in the house. I think it works, but we do not have a landline phone (but we have voip). Also worried that this likely 20+ year old system could die at any time. Most important feature is that they call police in emergency. Cameras look neat but not a must have for me. I have done some research online but all the companies seem to have a lot of complaints. Anyone have a company they love? Please share!

jgenie
02-27-2017, 08:50 PM
We used Brinks for years without issue then switched to ADT when they acquired Brinks. They were fine as well. When we moved to this house we went with a local alarm company. I like that I can call the local office with questions / concerns and they're quick to respond.

connor_mommy
02-27-2017, 09:18 PM
I use Vivint. Response is quick when we trip our alarm.

specialp
02-27-2017, 10:18 PM
We researched a ton and use a local company (responded quickly to a burglary in process for a friend's location), but your old system is outdated. You do not want something where wire cutting will disable it. There's wireless and cellular (we have cellular) systems that are better for that reason. IMO, it helps to know what type of system you want first and then research your area based on that so you are comparing similar services.

Bryan mom
02-28-2017, 12:37 AM
I also have VOIP. When we switched from landline to VOIP, my prior alarm system won't work and in order for it to work, require an expensive up-charge and a lot of research until I found this company with excellent reviews. I recommend my current alarm company, Simplisafe. Check out simplisafe.com It works through cell service. Customer service is excellent.

You can use SAFENOW code for 10% off.

It is VERY easy to install. I am not at all handy and it took me less than 30 minutes.
Another great feature is that you can suspend service at any time, and not be billed for no monitoring service. I can re-activate service online.
Comparing the cost to other alarm companies, their rates are much lower.

ETA: There is also no contract. Though you need to buy the equipment. Promo code above is for the equipment.

azzeps
02-28-2017, 01:01 AM
We have Simplisafe. My husband installed it all and it was not difficult (he's not super handy).

specialp
02-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Re: simplisafe, I installed the entire system (no cameras) for my parents and one of my FIL's buildings. It was incredibly easy. They've never had an emergency call so not sure about response time there, but I know the monitoring costs are far lower than others in their area.

hillview
02-28-2017, 09:47 AM
we have ADT. It has been fine. I might do simplisafe if I was doing it today.

avd3875
02-28-2017, 06:11 PM
We have had ADT for 15+ years, and it meets our needs. However, it is way too expensive. I've been looking at Simplisafe, and it sounds like it will do a better job of meeting our needs and will be considerably cheaper. I called ADT to tell them I was going to switch, so of course they offered me the same monthly fee as Simplisafe, so I'll stick with ADT for now. When the impressive pricing runs out I will likely switch to Simplisafe - I like that it is completely customizable, easy to install, and can easily be relocated. I suspect that other companies will start to pop up with a similar type of system, so there might be lots of great choices relatively soon.

MSWR0319
02-28-2017, 07:36 PM
We used Frontpoint at our old house. It used the cell phone towers and they were very prompt when we'd accidentally set an alarm off.

AnnieW625
02-28-2017, 10:38 PM
If we decided to do this we would probably go with Vivant, Simplisafe or see if Frontier Communications (our cable company has the service AT&T does in some neighboring cities). I would love a local company but have yet to find one in my area (Yelp was no help).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigsis
03-03-2017, 01:47 AM
We have SimpliSafe as well. Installation was easy for DH, meaning no cursing like when he does any repairs and maintenance around the house. :bag It's also very convenient for us because our kids walk home and we get a text whenever someone turns off the alarm. (Or set on home) That's when we know they're home.

trales
03-03-2017, 08:43 AM
We have zero cell service at our house, so we had to go with a landline based company, we talked to a lot of friends and neighbors who have alarms, and ended up with a larger local company. We have had it since a break in 3 years ago and are very happy with it. The response time has been great.