PDA

View Full Version : anti anxiety meds for kids any BTDT?

hillview
02-28-2017, 09:42 AM
DS2 may need to go on anti anxiety meds for GA. He is 9, does not ever sleep through the night, is afraid of the dark, being alone (even in day time) -- as in being in his room when we are in the kitchen downstairs, me leaving to see a friend for dinner, DH and I going out for dinner (when he is with a grandparent or with a nanny who has known him his entire life), buildings falling on him, being in a city, the highway, it goes on and on. So far it is not interfearing with school but the poor kid. His therapist is now considering meds.

Any BTDT?
TIA

marymoo86
02-28-2017, 10:06 AM
No BTDT but as with any medication it is highly personal and individualized - no one person's success or failure will dictate how your DS will respond.

In questions where medication is advised, I ask myself these questions:

*Are the side effects worth any supposed benefits
*What is the length of therapy
*What are the long term ramifications of doing (or not)
*What alternative therapies are available - (diet, holistic, other alternative)
*Is there a second opinion that can evaluate

LBW
02-28-2017, 10:15 AM
My 10-year old is on a low dose of sertraline (Zoloft) and it's been life changing for him. He's had no negative side effects. His diagnoses are GAD, ADHD, and high-functioning autism.

Indianamom2
02-28-2017, 11:57 AM
This is us, almost to a T. Dd is now 12, but she has been on Zoloft since 2nd grade. It was not a decision made lightly, but with all her other issues and a very strong family history, it was necessary for everyday normal functioning. I do not regret it.

My 10-year old is on a low dose of sertraline (Zoloft) and it's been life changing for him. He's had no negative side effects. His diagnoses are GAD, ADHD, and high-functioning autism.

jse107
02-28-2017, 12:22 PM
My 12yo DS is on Concerta and Zoloft for GAD and ADHD. It has been AMAZING for him. He basically refers to his life as pre- and post-meds.

gatorsmom
02-28-2017, 12:32 PM
When we were first considering meds for Ds3 who has ADHD and anxiety, someone here recommended asking family members if they have used an antianxiety med before and if so, which one and how it affected them. Apparently since family members have brains similar to each other, the same meds can affected relatives in similar ways. Our psychiatrist wanted to put ds3 on Zoloft but it turns out that his aunt and grandmother had excellent experience with Prozac. So we tried that on Ds3 instead of the Zoloft and it has been FANTASTIC for him. He's been taking it now for a year and it's easy to work with (no sudden drops in mood if we miss a dose) and has allowed him to move past his fears. DH's relatives weren't terribly forthcoming in telling us what meds they took until I explained why I was asking and how it could help Ds3. Then they came forward with some info. (No point in asking my family. I was adopted at birth and have no knowledge of my medical heritage).

As a side note, it saddened me that they felt embrrased/ashamed to admit they took antianxiety meds. I'm not sure why they felt that as I've never seen anyone in that side of the family disparage mental health issues. They have always been very supportive of each other (that I've seen).

gatorsmom
02-28-2017, 12:33 PM
My 12yo DS is on Concerta and Zoloft for GAD and ADHD. It has been AMAZING for him. He basically refers to his life as pre- and post-meds.

I love to hear these success stories for kids! DS3 is on Concerta and Prozac and we refer to his life the same way. He's a brand new kid!

andie16
02-28-2017, 09:21 PM
My 7yo DD began taking Lexapro at the end of November for GAD. It has worked wonders and we haven't seen any side effects. Her personality shines through and I feel like she is herself without all the worry she was suffering (not to imply there is none, but it is not debilitating like it was before we started the medication). She is also seeing a psychologist weekly for therapy. Our psychiatrist said she prefers to start kids on the name brand and then possibly shift over to the generic as she does sometimes see a difference in how effective the treatment is.

We will likely pursue a full neuropsych soon to see if "all" we are dealing with is anxiety or if there is also ADHD or something else we are missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

StantonHyde
02-28-2017, 11:30 PM
yes, and he started when he was 7 or 8 on sertraline. It makes a huge difference.

magnoliaparadise
03-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I have not read this thread yet so this may be irrelevant...
I have not had experience with this, but I have anxiety (and in my family, the prior 3 generations did big time :) ) and I sometimes see that in one of my kids so I am always keeping an ear out for other kids/families experiencing this.

A mom at my kids school mentioned in a very off hand way at a school event mentioned that she has anxiety issues and so does her daughter. I know her daughter - I think most people would say she was an anxious kid - she is awkward, young for her class, and has cried multiple times in public when they are having school presentations in front of parents, etc.
Anyway, so that comment was not surprising.

But then the mother said - and honestly, I loved her for this because it was so lovely and honest - that her husband and she had her kid see a psychologist and then finally a psychiatrist and the kid is now on anti-anxiety meds - She said it was a very very low dose - I didn't feel it was right to ask which, but was curious - and that the turn around was almost immediate and amazing.

She said her kid before would have trouble integrating in groups or making friends and now just jumps into many things. She said something like: 'she is the same kid, but the anxiety just lifted the edge off her fears and now she is so happy.' She also said something like 'it is a self fulfilling prophecy because she is easier going and happier and now does things and has positive experiences, which in turn increase her confidence and ability and desire to try things again and get good at things and make friends.'

Something like that. She said it ever off the cuff, but I don't know if she will ever know how much her words affected me. It made me think about myself and my kids and wonder about what we need to make sure we don't live under anxiety.

And as an aside, I think anxiety is so closely linked to depression - both in symptoms and consequences of living anxiously/depressed, that it's helpful to see others' treatment when thinking about anxiety OR depression.