PDA

View Full Version : Any scrapbooking mamas out there? Can you answer some questions?

gatorsmom
02-28-2017, 01:26 PM
In our last neighborhood there were tons of scrapbooking groups. But back then I wasn't ready and didn't have the time to scrapbook. But now I'd like to start some books for my kids about their grandparents. I know there are different types of scrapbooking- I had a friend who did the most amazing things with ribbons and stickers, colors and textures. I don't want to go into a ton of creative detail (I'm afraid I'll never finish the books if I get that detailed!).

I'm looking for the simplest way to display photos and odds and ends like ticket stubs and award ribbons. What, in your opinion is the best way to do this? Should I use those plastic photo-insert pages? Do things fall out of those pages? Or should I stick stuff to blank pages?

Also, what size scrap book is best, 8 1/2x11" or 12x12"? I plan on creating at least 4 books, maybe more. Which size book is the easiest to find accessories for? Which do you like best?

More questions- where is the best place to buy supplies? Is archival-safe REALLY that important?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!

94bruin
02-28-2017, 04:34 PM
For odds and ends, I like to use envelope pages such as these:

https://www.shopbeckyhiggins.com/collections/envelope-pages-physical-accessories

Size is really up to your preference. If you're doing paper scrapbooking, then find an album you like and go with that size. Just make sure when you buy paper that you buy paper the correct size. I usually stick with 12x12. But sometimes I'll do 8.5 x 11.

A lot of supplies can be purchased at Michaels or even Joanns.

I'd say that most stuff is archival safe these days. You should stick with adhesives in the scrapbook aisle. Not the rubber cement of our youth. :)

If you're handy with the computer, you can also do digital scrapbooking. In that case, take pictures of all the emphemera and use the pictures to document the actual items vs attaching them to the actual scrapbooks.

bigsis
03-03-2017, 01:59 AM
12 x 12 is best. I don't do super elaborate stuff either. Archival is pretty important, but just as the PP has suggested, most stuff you find at the scrapbooking aisles are acid-free, lignin-free so you're okay. Get the JoAnn's app, so you don't have to worry about clipping coupons; Michaels is a good place to buy stuff too. I'm not really sure about ribbons; I have a couple of clear pockets from Creative Memories. Honestly I don't like using those because my pages won't lay flat with them. :bag The tickets I would just stick on the pages as if they're pictures.

Good luck! :) I've pretty much gone digital with my scrapbooking. Shutterfly is just cheaper and less time consuming for someone who's not very creative like me. I used to spend an hour staring at a page, creating nothing.

Before you start, look at scrapbooking websites/magazines. Take a picture or rip the pages you want to copy and go from there.

Hope this helps! :)

gatorsmom
03-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Thank you this is all helpful!!