PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a thank you gift

baymom
02-28-2017, 01:38 PM
A teacher that DS adores just wrote him a lovely letter of recommendation for a summer program he is applying to. The three of us had been corresponding via email and I, of course, thanked him by email already. But, I'd like DS to write him a proper (paper) thank you note/card. In addition, is there a type of gift that is customary for something like this? DS is a current student, so I'd feel awkward spending too much, but also would like to give something. A plant? Gift card (how much)? Food/chocolate? If it matters, he's in his mid-50s. Thank you

Charlie
02-28-2017, 02:13 PM
I don't think a gift is necessary. If you want to give one, I wouldn't give a gift card as it could seem like you are paying for a recommendation - not that you are, but it doesn't seem right. I think something edible would be ok - like one of those nice tins of cookies at Costco or something. That way, he could either keep them or put them in the teachers' lounge.

trcy
02-28-2017, 02:50 PM
I don't think a gift is necessary. If you want to give one, I wouldn't give a gift card as it could seem like you are paying for a recommendation - not that you are, but it doesn't seem right. I think something edible would be ok - like one of those nice tins of cookies at Costco or something. That way, he could either keep them or put them in the teachers' lounge.

I agree. If you really want to give something, either something edible or a plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

baymom
02-28-2017, 07:27 PM
OP here--thanks for your feedback. I think I'll stick to a card and maybe a plant/edible item.

gymnbomb
02-28-2017, 08:28 PM
OP here--thanks for your feedback. I think I'll stick to a card and maybe a plant/edible item.

As a teacher who writes recommendation letters on a regular basis, I would never expect anything other than a verbal thank you or a quick note. However, over the years I have gotten a few things ranging from food items to lotions/shower gels to $10 gift cards from people I put extra time/thought/effort into helping. The gifts were always unexpected, but not considered inappropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
03-01-2017, 12:14 AM
I would keep it very simple, really, a hand written note from your son would be best. Teachers write letters for many students/co-workers etc over the years and I wouldn't think a gift would be necessary. If you must, something 10 or less.