PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about social life for less boy-ish boys in middle school

american_mama
03-01-2017, 08:00 PM
My son is almost 9 and a less boy-ish boy, and I am worried about what that means for him socially in middle school. I have 6th and 9th grade girls who have gone through this same public school, and I've led Girl Scout troops for years with those ages in them, so I know a lot about the school and some about girl development at that age, but not a lot about boys.

DS doesn't like sports, isn't very good at them, likes imaginative play, talking, building with legos, and video games. His circle of friends is more than half girls and has been since he started kindergarten. His elementary school ends at grade 4, and I am considering sending him to a private boy's middle school for grades 5-8 (which I'm calling middle school here for convenience). A major reason for this is to ensure that he has a peer group of boys in middle school. This isn't the only reason, since I know many families who have sent their sons to this school and give it rave reviews, so the school itself is a draw. DS is starting to goof off and underperform in school, and he complains mightily about kids who misbehave or are sassy in class, and the smaller private school might help with both of those. But the boy peer group is my primary reason.

Do other parents see that kids start to segregate a lot by gender starting in 5th, 6th grade? I know for some kids, that changes in 8th grade, but I think that's the minority. Am I falling into gender stereotypes, that it's bad to have a "girly" boy and needs fixing? In the abstract, that is not my philosophy. I think DS's willingness to talk and listen, his ability to work with girls as peers will make him an awesome husband and co-worker. In the specific here and now, however, I am concerned about DS having a lonely 4 years in middle school.

One significant reason I say this is the example of my male neighbor, who is now in 8th grade and fairly similar in personality to DS. My neighbor had even more female friends and no male friends for most of elementary school. My feeling is that he is fairly lonely in middle school, because the girls he was friends with have dropped him as they started having parties and sleepovers that were all girls, hanging out with girls, playing on all-girl sports teams, and meeting new girls at the new grade 5-8 schools. It has shrunk his social life a lot - no one to trick or treat with, no party invites, never been to a sleepover, etc. He and my DD2 used to play a lot, but she dropped him too for all the reasons I stated above. The neighbor also seems less happy and confident than he used to be when he was younger. I don't want that to happen to my DS, and I am already seeing some of his female friends dropping him a little bit.

My 9th grader DD was friends with two brothers who both went to this boys' school. One was kind of gangly, non-sports, artsy misfit in elementary school who completely blossomed at this boys' school into a tall, confident leader with a unique personal style. He entered high school strong, whether due to the boys' school or his own growth, who can say. But it's a trajectory every parent wants. His younger brother had maybe less of the ugly duckling transformation, but I know his first few weeks at high school, he ate lunch with his peers from the boys' school and they seemed to have a built-in group to help with the high school transition.

Just wondering what other parents thoughts are, especially if you have a middle or high schooler, or a non-boyish boy. Is being different than the norm always rough in middle school, and I can't or shouldn't buffer that? If having men who can relate well with women is important, which I believe, do I have to support that at every stage of life before? Are any of those abstract ideas worth having a lonely kid for several years?

SnuggleBuggles
03-01-2017, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't put a ton of hope in a new school because each year will have a different vibe and peer norms.
My video game loving late bloomer found his crew by middle of 6th grade and they are still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillview
03-01-2017, 08:35 PM
I am not sure what makes what he likes non-boyish? DS1 is super bright, not really into sports (plays a little, isn't very good right now), plays video games, is fairly serious, likes to talk and follows politics. He isn't a rough and tumble kid. He has maybe 2 good friends at school (both boys, avoids girls) so he isn't a jock but well he is a boy and he is great and I don't really worry about the other stuff. He is happy which is key. Is your DS happy? I think it would be important to understand if this anxiety is really causing him issues or if it is more what you (or DH) are used to for social norms? My 2 cents and I could be way off base as I don't know you guys at all :)

mmsmom
03-01-2017, 08:37 PM
I can't really offer any advice but I just wanted to share that my DS is 10 and in 4th grade and I feel this year has been a big difference in boy/girl friendships. He has had 2 girl BFF's over the years but now if any boy and girl are talking outside of school work it seems they are teased as being boyfriend/girlfriend or liking each other. There is a girl my DS has been in the same class with since preschool and when we run into her family now we parents say hello but the kids don't even look at each other. It is so strange but I do believe it is a phase.

bisous
03-01-2017, 08:52 PM
I think maybe there are two things going on. Your DS has many friends that are girls AND he doesn't like sports. My boys aren't super sporty (DS2 does some sports but most of his close friends don't). I can assure you there is a whole world of non-sporty boys out there. Mine are into Ninjago and Minecraft and Pokemon and Lego and frankly they are a little bit nerdy but they're really happy and seem to have plenty of peers. My kids are friends with girls but it does seem like they have mostly guy friends. I don't know how crucial that is in middle school (unless he's at an all boy school like you are thinking about) but it is good to think that through. In theory I really like the idea of not confining my boys to only friends that are boys but I see the practical difficulties of having girl friends while being a boy at a certain stage. I really do think that kids only need one or two good friends to be really happy. Maybe focus on that? Does he have good close friends? I really think that is the most important, for development now and for happiness throughout school.

KpbS
03-02-2017, 12:35 AM
I'm surprised the girls are still friends in 4th. In our experience the girls started just wanting to play/hang out with girls in 2nd grade. I would definitely be open to the private school. I would have him shadow there to try to see what it is like. Do they have an upcoming preview day this spring?