PDA

View Full Version : HPV Vaccine for Boys

div_0305
03-02-2017, 12:39 PM
[UPDATE in Post #49]

I was apparently living under a rock when at DS's 11 yr checkup the ped asked if he could get the HPV vaccine. Honestly, I didn't know it was for boys. She said it would be fine to wait a year. So now, I'm still not sure why/if DS should get it, or actually what the controversy is about it at this point. What is the latest on this topic? He's been vaccinated for everything else on schedule. My relative, who is an oncologist and has boys the same age said she was not aware of the vax for boys and it was not brought up by their ped at the 11 or 12 yr checkup. This gave me pause--she lives in a different state, but since she's in the field and wasn't aware of the vax for boys, I'm turning to the collective wisdom of the BBB.

ETA: I found this older post on the BBB--- the first post links a NYT article which explains why my oncologist relative and her ped probably don't have the vax on their radar:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?490894&p=4146638#post4146638

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2017, 12:42 PM
My ped went from not pushing it for boys to advocating for it. My ds1 is super uninterested in anything dating, girls...and the pediatrician and I have felt ok waiting on it. He'll get it this year. I know we're on the late side but at first I waited to be able to research more, like I have all vaccines.

Philly Mom
03-02-2017, 12:44 PM
For boys it is both to stop the spread of HPV to women but also HPV causes cancers in men. I believe throat cancer is one of them. I know there are more knowledgeable people than me and I believe if you search this has been discussed before.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

PZMommy
03-02-2017, 12:45 PM
My boys have had all other vaccinations, but I'm skipping this one. I've read too much about kids having more severe reactions and vaccine injuries from this one.

div_0305
03-02-2017, 01:02 PM
My boys have had all other vaccinations, but I'm skipping this one. I've read too much about kids having more severe reactions and vaccine injuries from this one.

This is what I had heard for girls and wondered it is has the same reaction issues in boys. I did read that if given between the ages of 11-13, the vaccine is much more effective. I just can't believe my oncologist relative and the ped she uses didn't have it on their radar.

ETA: I updated my original post with a link to an older BBB thread. The first post links a NYT article which puts all this in perspective for me. Now to research the latest in adverse effects....

Philly Mom
03-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Here is the CDC info about HPV for men. https://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

robinsmommy
03-02-2017, 01:19 PM
This is what I had heard for girls and wondered it is has the same reaction issues in boys. I did read that if given between the ages of 11-13, the vaccine is much more effective. I just can't believe my oncologist relative and the ped she uses didn't have it on their radar.

ETA: I updated my original post with a link to an older BBB thread. The first post links a NYT article which puts all this in perspective for me. Now to research the latest in adverse effects....

Please share what you find on adverse reactions. Ped asked us about this again, but I have also read a lot of adverse reaction stories. It can be hard with a controversial topic like vaccines to find good middle of the road info.

georgiegirl
03-02-2017, 01:29 PM
DH is a radiation oncologist (and treats this type of cancer every week) and says that the vaccine is MORE important for boys because (1) men have more trouble clearing the HPV virus, and (2) there's no HPV screening for men like there is for women (pap). So men present with advanced oral cancers. They get it from oral sex, and while condoms are popular for intercourse, most people see oral sex as "safe." I don't think anyone has oral sex with a condom or dental dam, and especially not a teenager. So, my DH is adamant that our boys get the vaccine.

JBaxter
03-02-2017, 02:07 PM
We have declined it 3 times so far and will decline it with the 4th. We selectively vaccinate and this one is far off our list. Our GP doesn't give it to his own kids

JElaineB
03-02-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm thinking of getting this for DS (age 14) this year because they now recommend a 2 dose series under age 15 and a 3 dose series after age 15. I have declined it several times up until this point.

ETA: I just scheduled an appointment for him in a couple of weeks, they said both doses need to be done before he turns 15 in late September.

trcy
03-02-2017, 03:13 PM
DH is a radiation oncologist (and treats this type of cancer every week) and says that the vaccine is MORE important for boys because (1) men have more trouble clearing the HPV virus, and (2) there's no HPV screening for men like there is for women (pap). So men present with advanced oral cancers. They get it from oral sex, and while condoms are popular for intercourse, most people see oral sex as "safe." I don't think anyone has oral sex with a condom or dental dam, and especially not a teenager. So, my DH is adamant that our boys get the vaccine.

This is exactly why I will get it for DS when he is old enough.

Kindra178
03-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Our ped practice starts at 13. We will be following their advice.

Corie
03-02-2017, 03:25 PM

My son got his first dose at his 12 yr. check-up.

almostmom
03-02-2017, 04:58 PM
I feel this vaccine is very important. I listen regularly to Dan Savage and the Savage lovecast, and he has had multiple medical experts in to talk about this. As someone else said, it is just as important for boys as girls in terms of preventing some forms of cancer. HPV is incredibly common, and I expect most people are exposed at one time or another. I don't see any reason not to get it, and I have not seen studies on adverse reactions to it. DS got his shots last year when he was 12. He is not sexually active now, but I expect he will be at some point in his life. I would honestly feel irresponsible not giving it to him - it's one of the few cancer prevention steps we can take. A good friend's husband had a throat cancer recently - not fun.

MamaSnoo
03-02-2017, 05:20 PM
It is a vaccine that prevents terrible cancers. That is (almost) a miracle in my book. Regardless of my children's future sexual choices, I do not want my kids or their spouses/SOs to ever get HPV associated cancers.

It also prevents vertical transmission of HPV from mom to baby during delivery. This is a big deal when that occurs, as it causes numerous warts in the infant's respiratory system. They can require multiple procedures to remove the warts and some will need tracheostomies. It is an absolutely terrible thing.

My kids will get the HPV vaccine when they are old enough. We are firmly in the vaccination camp in general.

citymama
03-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Our ped practice starts at 13. We will be following their advice.

Is this the recommended age for girls and boys, or just boys?

ebp913
03-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Is this the recommended age for girls and boys, or just boys?

I believe both. The reasoning isn't about sexual maturity. It's the fact that the vaccine has been shown to be the most effective in the long term when given at the recommended age.

citymama
03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
I believe both. The reasoning isn't about sexual maturity. It's the fact that the vaccine has been shown to be the most effective in the long term when given at the recommended age.

Thanks!

StantonHyde
03-02-2017, 07:24 PM
DS had his first shot at 12 or 13--I forget. DD will have hers when the ped recommends. HPV is a highly prevalent cancer and I want to protect my children.

toby
03-02-2017, 08:19 PM

This is also our reasoning for having DS vaccinated. As others have stated, it has nothing to do with sexual maturity and is most effective if given between the ages of 11-13. FWIW, it used to be a series of 3 vaccines, but now it is just two.

Pennylane
03-02-2017, 08:41 PM

This is basically what my Ped told me also.

Ann

niccig
03-02-2017, 09:33 PM
I'm a Speech Language Pathologist and I've seen the devastating affects of laryngeal cancer, which HPV causes. DS will be getting the vaccine

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

Kindra178
03-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Our ped practice does both girls and boys.

westwoodmom04
03-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Both my son and daughter will be getting this, per their ped's recommendation. I'm happy they will have some protection against hpv given its prevalence these days.

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2017, 10:40 PM
I'm thinking of getting this for DS (age 14) this year because they now recommend a 2 dose series under age 15 and a 3 dose series after age 15. I have declined it several times up until this point.

ETA: I just scheduled an appointment for him in a couple of weeks, they said both doses need to be done before he turns 15 in late September.

Why by 15?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JElaineB
03-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Why by 15?

That's what the CDC is currently recommending, two doses before age 15, 3 doses after (https://www.cdc.gov/hpv/parents/questions-answers.html):

CDC makes recommendations based on the best available scientific evidence. Studies have shown that two doses of HPV vaccine given at least six months apart to adolescents at age 9–14 years worked as well or better than three doses given to older adolescents and young adults. Studies have not been done to show this for adolescents starting the series at age 15 years or older.

My son hates shots so this was a good reason for me to start it now.

khm
03-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Why by 15?

My ped said studies of the early vaccine showed decreased effectiveness if given at 15 or later, hence the recommendation that anyone 15+ gets 3 shots vs. 2.

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2017, 11:28 PM
My ped said studies of the early vaccine showed decreased effectiveness if given at 15 or later, hence the recommendation that anyone 15+ gets 3 shots vs. 2.

It just still seems all arbitrary as one can't predict when they will engage in behaviors that need the vaccine. I'm also not convinced that they really have a good sense of how long it will last. They keep revising the dosing schedule. It's so new...I'm finding myself back on the fence as I'm remembering my earlier hesitation. I find value in the vaccine but I will continue to research and discuss with others in my sphere.

MontrealMum
03-02-2017, 11:55 PM
It just still seems all arbitrary as one can't predict when they will engage in behaviors that need the vaccine. I'm also not convinced that they really have a good sense of how long it will last. They keep revising the dosing schedule. It's so new...I'm finding myself back on the fence as I'm remembering my earlier hesitation. I find value in the vaccine but I will continue to research and discuss with others in my sphere.

It certainly is confusing. It's on the schedule here for gr 4, so, age 9/10. In any case, I agree that it's an incredibly important one to give.

JElaineB
03-03-2017, 12:41 AM

This is exactly why I have declined for several years. Even at 14.5 years old DS is no where near done with puberty and I doubt will be sexually active anytime in the next several years, if not longer. But the two-dose regimen is what swayed me. Hopefully the evidence they have for recommending the current dosing schedule is accurate.

basilicali
03-03-2017, 04:02 AM
I am a pediatrician and I would recommend it for boys and girls starting at age 11. It is only the 2nd vaccine available to help prevent cancer--the other one is Hep B.
My daughter is 11 and has received her HPV shots.
You would be surprised at what kids are doing without parents knowledge, that's all I have to say.

citymama
03-03-2017, 04:35 AM
I am a pediatrician and I would recommend it for boys and girls starting at age 11. It is only the 2nd vaccine available to help prevent cancer--the other one is Hep B.
My daughter is 11 and has received her HPV shots.
You would be surprised at what kids are doing without parents knowledge, that's all I have to say.

I will ask the ped. at her 11 year check-up. I want to make sure she gets it when it's recommended from a vaccine efficacy perspective, rather than when I think she is going to be intimate with a boy (or girl). I'm pretty sure parents get that part wrong all the time.

hillview
03-03-2017, 08:51 AM
We got it for DS1. Researched. Dh is in med field feel it's a good one to have

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2017, 08:57 AM
This is exactly why I have declined for several years. Even at 14.5 years old DS is no where near done with puberty and I doubt will be sexually active anytime in the next several years, if not longer. But the two-dose regimen is what swayed me. Hopefully the evidence they have for recommending the current dosing schedule is accurate.

Wait a few months and that'll probably change... :) I guess I wonder what magically happens to the body at 15 that necessitates more shots. Again, something I'll need to research.

liz
03-03-2017, 09:33 AM
DH and I are in the medical field, and we see first hand throat, rectal and gynecological cancers. DH's mother and aunt both died of cervical cancer. If there is a med that can help prevent the spread of hpv and possibly prevent these type of cancers, I think it's a a med worthy of consideration. DS had 3 shots at 12 years old, no issues. FWIW, a few states have the vaccine as a school requirement (Virginia, Rhode Island and DC I believe).

eta, our pediatrician office recommended the vaccine starting at age 11

div_0305
03-03-2017, 10:06 AM
For those of you in the medical field, do you know what the protocol is in other countries? On bbc.com there's articles that it's being pushed for gay men and boys who might be gay. I find that a bit strange to only push the vaccine for them. I couldn't find much about other countries or which brand of the vaccine is being used. There is clearly a lot of misinformation about the vaccine out there.

gatorsmom
03-03-2017, 10:25 AM

My ped said this too. She recommended that kids get the vax between 11-14yo. There was a long thread here a while back abiut this. Several posters shared concerns and information that there was a chance the vaccination's effectiveness would wane after 10 years and the kids may need a booster. After reading that thread and knowing how sexually active my Ds1 is (he talks to me about this stuff. He hasn't come close to kissing a girl yet. The girl he really likes doesn't like him back . :( ), I decided to delay this to age 14yo. I'll be following the same route for DS2. I want him to have it before age 15yo BUT I want it to be effective when he is most likely to need it and least likely to go in for a booster if that should become necessary (I.e. during college years). My Ped was ok with my plan as long, she said, as I don't forget to get him the vax at 14yo. She said a lot of parents forget which is one reason they push so hard for it at age 11 and 12.

I got HPV from DH when we were engaged. He didn't even know he had it. I had an abnormal Pap smear as a result and had to have cryosurgery to have the cells removed. I was only 26yo. Scared the sh** out of me. According to my OBGYN who has tested me twice since then, I've passed the virus and it's now gone, thank goodness.

khm
03-03-2017, 10:43 AM

It's not about the behaviors, the studies showed the immune response is simply stronger in people under 15. It's just where the data fell.

Since it has a weaker immune response in those over 15, that's why they recommend the 3rd dose.

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2017, 11:07 AM
It's not about the behaviors, the studies showed the immune response is simply stronger in people under 15. It's just where the data fell.

Since it has a weaker immune response in those over 15, that's why they recommend the 3rd dose.

I figured that was the reason and I haven't looked at the data yet. My question is about how long it lasts and when they will need to receive a booster. Odds of a late teen/ early 20 something actually going in for a shot seem low. Anyway, my ped wasn't recommending it for boys back when ds1 was the age you all are doing it now so I'll have to figure it out now.

Mommaof3
03-03-2017, 01:25 PM

MY Sil"s brother was diagnosed last year with stage 4 throat cancer which was caused by HPV. I will be getting this for my son.

hwin708
03-03-2017, 02:27 PM
The CDC's position on booster shots:
"There has been no evidence to suggest that HPV vaccine loses any ability to provide protection over time. Data are available for about 10 years of follow-up after vaccination."

Given that the vaccine has only been available about 10 years, it makes sense that they can't predict with absolute certainty that no boosters will be required. But they are clearly stating that there is little reason to think boosters will be necessary. Either way, if you vaccinated at the earliest recommended age of 11, it is pretty finite that no booster will be required for at least 10 years, so beyond age 21. At that point, any booster will have to happen well after the child is out of your home and control when it comes to medical care, and most likely well into the age of sexual activity.

I HOPE my child comes to me when s/he is ready to become sexual active in any way, and thus would know exactly when this vaccine is definitely required. I KNOW I will still be a meddling mom who is sending my adult child texts about how s/he is due for a booster shot and needs to make a doctor's appointment so their immunity is not at risk. So I err on the side of getting the vaccine at 11/12.

firstbaby
03-03-2017, 02:57 PM
We've delayed on this one so far. Question - I did some research when it first came on my radar, and I thought I read that there are hundreds of strains of HPV and the vaccine only covers a few of them. Is that still the case?

StantonHyde
03-03-2017, 03:00 PM
We've delayed on this one so far. Question - I did some research when it first came on my radar, and I thought I read that there are hundreds of strains of HPV and the vaccine only covers a few of them. Is that still the case?

They cover at least 4 of them that cause cancer. There are plenty of strains that just cause warts, but it's the cancer strains that are most concerning.

Kindra178
03-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Has anyone seen the Mercola article on this vax series? For those in science and statistics, can someone explain how he reaches an opposite conclusion of the CDC?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/16/hpv-vaccine-effectiveness.aspx

I will add that I find it odd he's citing to an oncology dietician.

HannaAddict
03-03-2017, 08:50 PM
My 12 year old just got his two shots and was thrilled that the new rec is for 2 shots under age 13 vs 3 shots since the immune response was so much stronger than at older ages. So glad this vaccine exists as we lost a very close family member to cervical cancer 20 years ago pre-vaccine. If he needs a booster, I'm happy to remind him and though he has zero romantic interests yet, who knows when it will happen. I have a fabulous pediatrician and trust her guidance and rely on mainstream peer reviewed info though.

JElaineB
03-03-2017, 09:17 PM
My 12 year old just got his two shots and was thrilled that the new rec is for 2 shots under age 13 vs 3 shots since the immune response was so much stronger than at older ages. So glad this vaccine exists as we lost a very close family member to cervical cancer 20 years ago pre-vaccine. If he needs a booster, I'm happy to remind him and though he has zero romantic interests yet, who knows when it will happen. I have a fabulous pediatrician and trust her guidance and rely on mainstream peer reviewed info though.

Just a clarification, the recommendation is two doses under age 15, three doses over age 15.

squimp
03-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Has anyone seen the Mercola article on this vax series? For those in science and statistics, can someone explain how he reaches an opposite conclusion of the CDC?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/16/hpv-vaccine-effectiveness.aspx

I will add that I find it odd he's citing to an oncology dietician.

So I'm a scientist. Not in a biomedical field, but I know how to read a scientific paper. I don't know what mercola is, except that it kept asking me for a donation and had broken links rather than providing sources. He is referring to a by Bidini in the blog "TheONC" that dissects the Markowitz et al. 2013 paper published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Infectious Diseases. I couldn't find the blog post, but I did look at the paper to the best of my abilities from my home conputer. Here's a link the Markowitz study if people want to read it.
https://academic.oup.com/jid/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/infdis/jit192

One important thing to always remember is that this is one paper, one study, and science builds a body of evidence. Markowitz et al. provide a number of caveats to their general finding that HPV prevalence has declined over time from the pre-vaccine to the post-vaccine period.

"Our data suggest an early impact of HPV vaccination on vaccine type prevalence among females in the United States and a high vaccine effectiveness against vaccine type infection. The decline in vaccine type prevalence is higher than expected and could be due to herd immunity from vaccination, vaccine effectiveness of a series involving <3 doses, and/or changes in sexual behavior that we did not measure. "

To pick apart one paper without peer review, that is not science. An editorial in the journal, a correction in the journal, a study that repeats the analysis and finds something different, that is science. Throwing popcorn from their paid website does not feel like science to me.

khm
03-03-2017, 10:10 PM
So I'm a scientist. Not in a biomedical field, but I know how to read a scientific paper. I don't know what mercola is, except that it kept asking me for a donation and had broken links rather than providing sources.

He's probably behind a lot of clickbait you see in your Facebook feed.

https://www.facebook.com/doctor.health/

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/February-2012/Dr-Joseph-Mercola-Visionary-or-Quack/
https://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

div_0305
03-06-2017, 10:11 AM
OP here---after discussing this with more local friends and acquaintances in the medical field, I've decided DS will get the vaccine. I'm still dumbfounded by my oncologist relative's and her sons' pediatrician's ignorance. I hope others will at least be informed of this vaccine being available for their sons. I think there is a lot of misinformation out there, which clearly muddled my thinking about it, as well.